The Second Brisbane River Classic

AFO

Fella's

From the Webmasters comments - I think it is time to consider formally becoming a fishing club, and affiliating to the national body.

As some of you are aware, I am also into rallying, and am active in the Northern Districts Sporting car club.

There are advantages to being a club affiliated with the national body, the pertinant one at this point is that you get access to cheap insurance! For instance we are running an event at Cooroy on the 17th, (A motorkhana, roughly 40 cars entered), insurance for the event through Cams is $150 for the event, that covers everything, officials, competitors and spectators.

I suggest you look into it and see if it is possible to affiliate, what the costs are involved, but make sure that if we join, we dont have to have accredited officials to run comps! (coz we dont have any!, unless the national bofy give free training such as what CAMS does for motorsport, then I would get qualified)

if the costs of forming the club and affiliating with the national body can be covered by a nominal membership fee, well and good, otherwise perhaps part of the entry fees for the BRC classic can be used?. Because I would also be happy with certificates, and ancillary prizes. (But I want stickers!!!).

If we had membership, you could make non members an extra $10 bucks a team for this years BRC, (or next year a discount off advertised price for members!)

my 2 bob......im happy to pay a entry fee for this comp....why?...because its \"our\" comp....it's for \"us\"....ive always talked about doing somthing like this but knowing that it was all talk...now i have the chance to be participent without all the hard work!so i thank the organisers for this....but il have no worries bout takin ut all the catergories;) nah we will see what happens.....its going to be awesome guys!

Ok fella's

Dont want to teach you how to suck eggs or anything, but how are you going organising the classic.

Do you need any help generally

Do you need to form a committee

Do you need volunteers for committee

Do you need ideas

Do you need us to ask our local tackle shops to put up posters advertising the event

Do you need someone to develop those posters

Do you need volunteers for manning the weigh station.

Do you need gear for the weigh station (freezers for all the crab bait!, scales, tripod for scales etc etc)

Do you need BBQ's or tables etc etc

Do you need help chasing sponsors (I hate doing that, so while I have heaps of experience doing it, thats one I wont be volunteering for)

Do you want anyone to donate some small prizes for lesser categories, say best fish by a kid, best fish by a woman (although that category could get me hung), best hard luck story, etc etc

Phone numbers for strippers (oops), bar staff for the after comp BBQ. (Hey I work construction, I have experience in this area!), they are pricey mind.

Andrew: i answer to you statement.

As much as we love the support we also want you all to compete as much as possible!!!

This in mind John and i will manning the station for the entire duration of the comp. This is no worries to us dont worry. Call it a labour of love :P (we are of course setting up so we can fish while wating anyway). We will not actually be contenders for the pizes.

As far as all the technical stuff goes concerning clubs, sponsorship etc etc, this is the kind of thing we have been sourcing and researching for the past few days so stay tuned.

As far as \"donating\" prizes goes. Look we certainly would not turn anything down. However hopefully we should attract the attention of a couple of tackle shops that can appreciate the advantage of being affiliated with a strong local group. So hopefully we should be able to get some decent stuff from one source. But hey, we will see how we go.

But once again thanks for all the thoughts, its good to see a lot of people seriously care about the idea as a whole.

Angus

• 2 weeks later...

Many years ago when i used to fish moreton island with my old man with the watersiders fishing club we used to spend the trip back on the boat( 4 to 6 hour trip in those days ) cleaning and filletting the fish and all fish that were excess to members requirements were donated to nudgee orphanage.

Back to the present.

I dont know if there are any organisations who would accept donations of this type with all the risk accessment etc that is in place now.

Shark meat is a very presentable and palatable with very little waste. I get quite a few small black tipped sharks locally and they fillet up very well. I always bleed them on capture i have been told that they can have an idione taste if they are not bled. The only problem filletting them is that the skin is murder on your knives and they need frequent honeing.

The meat freezes up very well and doesnt degrade like tailor when thawn.

I give all of my excess fish to members of the redlands U3A ( university of the third age) but it is usually only 4 or 5 kg. There are a lot of pensioner groups who would appreciate this type of donation but we would have to fillet it for them and arrange delivery.

Over to someone else for your thoughts.

Ray

Ray the only problem with passing on the sharks for food is that they would have to be treated like such from capture, ie bled, iced down etc. Personally I just hate killing things if they only go to waste. I'd be in a dilemma if I caught a 5 footer as it sure wouldn't fit in my esky:blink: But I definately agree that the smaller sharks treated well make a good feed.

cheers, Matt

Archived