How to spool heavy braid solo

Brodie_S

Haven’t been on AFO much lately . Due to muiltple reasons 1 my river has been flooded for a few weeks now 2 I’ve been busy with work and getting ready for the new school year . Anyway recently I bought 2 reels a 4000 sienna and a 5000 sedona the 4000 sienna has already been spooled with roughly 140-160m of 20lb mono but the Sedona I’m gonna put 300m of gliss which is like a braid . I usually get someone to hold the line spool via a pencil and they put tension on the line spool while I reel in the line but I’ve never spooled a reel with anything over 13lbs . I know the heavier the line the more pressure you have to put on to. So I was wondering what methods I could use to spool 300m of 42lb gliss on my own . I think the diameter of the line is 0.25 but I will re-edit that if it’s not .any advice welcome thanks 

That's a great idea @ellicat

Cheers. 

I have a bolt with washers and a locknut. 

Fit spool to bolt and tighten till it just takes up on the spool (won't free spin but it's not tight). I use a lock nut because a normal nut will either loosen up or keep tightening when winding. 

Hold both ends of the bolt with toes and crank away. 

You don't have to have a heap of pressure on the line when spooling. When you are out fishing and retrieving the line its not going on real tight. It only has the weight of a sinker/lure so pinching in fingertips is enough tension. 

42 minutes ago, Junky said:

That's a great idea @ellicat

Cheers. 

I have a bolt with washers and a locknut. 

Fit spool to bolt and tighten till it just takes up on the spool (won't free spin but it's not tight). I use a lock nut because a normal nut will either loosen up or keep tightening when winding. 

Hold both ends of the bolt with toes and crank away. 

You don't have to have a heap of pressure on the line when spooling. When you are out fishing and retrieving the line its not going on real tight. It only has the weight of a sinker/lure so pinching in fingertips is enough tension. 

Thanks I just like to have it tight enough so it doesn’t feel soft I like the line to feel almost rock solid on the spool . I know some people have fancy line spoolers for landbased game fishing and put heaps of pressure on the line like morningtide 

2 hours ago, Breaming with bro said:

Thanks I just like to have it tight enough so it doesn’t feel soft I like the line to feel almost rock solid on the spool . I know some people have fancy line spoolers for landbased game fishing and put heaps of pressure on the line like morningtide 

No worries pal. 

I tend to use 3/4 of a spool of line each drop so when I wind it back in it is only the weight of the line and sinker, hook/jig putting the line under tension. 

17 minutes ago, Junky said:

$20. Bargain. 

Book included? 

Edit. I thought that was a book behind it. Till I opened the pic up and saw it was the box. 🤣

Yeah my photo taking skills probably need some attention . Great little gadget but , just whack the suction cup on the kitchen bench and go for it keeps perfect tension on the line

1 hour ago, Sneaky1 said:

Yeah my photo taking skills probably need some attention . Great little gadget but , just whack the suction cup on the kitchen bench and go for it keeps perfect tension on the line

No mate. Your pic is fine. 

At a quick glance on a telephone screen it looked like a book. 

Is it a fleabay item or from a tackle store? 

2 minutes ago, Junky said:

No mate. Your pic is fine. 

At a quick glance on a telephone screen it looked like a book. 

Is it a fleabay item or from a tackle store? 

I think it come from mo tackle but I've seen them on fleabay for the same price. 

Unfortunately I didn’t fit all the line on but I got most of it probably around 250m and I’m a bit mad because I didn’t put enough tension on my line it’s a bit soft it’s hard but not hard as I like it to be I can push my fingernail through it . I’m gonna still try it and hope the braid doesn’t cut in when I hook something big 

7ADFEEC3-6F75-4E67-BAB0-4B6DC5DCDD98.jpeg