GJay382

My well off Gold Coast friend has just retired and purchased an (all bells and whistles) 6m Formosa bowrider with a 150 yammy. I'm his Gilligan and we try to get out twice a week. So far we have been out 10-15 times in the broadwater and down to Mermaid and  Palm beach. We have only snagged(correct word) 1 mac tuna on a fluke lure.

We are like boys in a lolly shop, all this top gear, huge waterways, lets do this, lets do that.  In reality we haven't a clue how to fish. We were out for 5hrs yesterday in the broadwater and had  2 nibbles. I did notice my Captain had a 4 oz weight, 500m leader and a double gang rig with a 125mm pilly, in 4mtrs of water. I was using a very light weight and small fillets letting the tide take the bait, to no avail. And no fish on the Garmin. HEEEELLLPPP. Even when there is fish on the sounder, I think its in Demo mode.

Is there more logic to any of this, eg, finding out what fish is in season, where their habitat is, keep going back to try and get a strategy, what bait they prefer etc, etc,etc.

I know this is very broad and obviously would appreciate any and all help, even to have someone come out with us to show ue the practicalities

BOWRIDER.jpg

19 minutes ago, GJay382 said:

My well off Gold Coast friend has just retired and purchased an (all bells and whistles) 6m Formosa bowrider with a 150 yammy. I'm his Gilligan and we try to get out twice a week. So far we have been out 10-15 times in the broadwater and down to Mermaid and  Palm beach. We have only snagged(correct word) 1 mac tuna on a fluke lure.

We are like boys in a lolly shop, all this top gear, huge waterways, lets do this, lets do that.  In reality we haven't a clue how to fish. We were out for 5hrs yesterday in the broadwater and had  2 nibbles. I did notice my Captain had a 4 oz weight, 500m leader and a double gang rig with a 125mm pilly, in 4mtrs of water. I was using a very light weight and small fillets letting the tide take the bait, to no avail. And no fish on the Garmin. HEEEELLLPPP. Even when there is fish on the sounder, I think its in Demo mode.

Is there more logic to any of this, eg, finding out what fish is in season, where their habitat is, keep going back to try and get a strategy, what bait they prefer etc, etc,etc.

I know this is very broad and obviously would appreciate any and all help, even to have someone come out with us to show ue the practicalities

BOWRIDER.jpg

I suggest looking up tutorials for finding fish on you’re sounder .Every now and then you will get a massive bait school you can use a sabiki rig on a old rod you have with a fairly heavy sinker on the bottom of the rig to get where the bait school is.jig it around the bait school after you get enough baitfish you can either cut them up and use fillets or use it alive,livies @AUS-BNE-FISHO has experience using liveies and seem to have a fair bit of success on them . As for a rod setup ,I’m assuming you’re out fishing in a bay and not the river or offshore correct me if I’m wrong. A good rod setup in the bay would be a 4000 size reel matched with a 4-7kg rod 20lb braid should do the job make sure you use good knots and hooks and make sure you’re rigging the bait naturally I’m sure @ellicatshould have some excellent tips for this style of fishing

Nice looking boat.  When you say the broadwater do you mean the seaway or else where. In the sea way I use a patternoster rig with pilchard and squid. Plus I have another set up with a 2 hook rig with a light sinker and put on a live yakka or pilchard if I don't have one. If you go offshore keep going to your in 40 metres of water and sound along there till you find some reefs or schools of bait fish and drift over that.  You'll have days when you don't get a bite then you'll have a top day that will make up for it. Even on days when I get nothing it's still a good day sitting out there.  Love it.

Your captain is fishing too heavy by the sounds of it. Your weight should be just enough to get you to the bottom if you're targeting bottom species.

For bottom fish I prefer using a single circle hook with a half pilchard. Head - feed the hook all the way through the eyes, then hold the eye of the hook next to the eye of the pilchard to measure where the bottom of the hook needs to sit. Pass the pointy end through the back of the bait at that point. Tail - pass the hook right through the thin end of the tail section then, similar to the head method, lay the hook along the side to measure where to put the hook through. You can then put a half hitch around the hook and pilchard together.

Nothing like a video to show you -

If you're fishing for mackerel at the reefs then I use a set of 3 x 4/0 Tru turn gangs. It depends where the mackerel are sitting to decide which method to use. You might need to try 3 methods to find them if you're not getting a show on the sounder.

Method 1. Float out an unweighted pillie in the current to prospect the top level fish.

Method 2. Float out a lightly weighted pillie under a float say 1.5 to 2 metres down to prospect for middle feeders.

Method 3. Float a pillie to the bottom with just enough weight to defeat the current.

Berley hard with small sections of old pillies - they cut best if still frozen.

13 hours ago, GJay382 said:

I did notice my Captain had a 4 oz weight, 500m leader and a double gang rig with a 125mm pilly, in 4mtrs of water. 

Mate, I know nothing but a 4oz weight in the seaway shows your age so I can relate. 4oz is too heavy. I haven’t even got 500m of line on most of my reels so a 500m leader sounds a tad long (like about 498m too long) and  a 125mm Pillie is a bit too long. Try a 120mm pillie and you will get better results. The 4mtr depth is okay. At least you won’t hit any rocks. 
cheers

Greg

6 hours ago, Do$tylz said:

Welcome to AFO GJay.

There's a TON of knowledge and info here on AFO. There are a few guys that have put in years of learning and effort that are willing to share with those who participate and give back to the AFO community.

Tugger, Marty and Benno are your guys who have lots of info shared on AFO for offshore/mackies etc. Check out their past posts.

Hey, you forgot about me.