Waiting to get my boat back

GregOug

5 hours ago, The Sloth said:

Hey Greg,

Is that Garmin an additional unit? I think you said you had a Lowrance?

How are you fitting the 9 inch into the dash? Or is it on a mount?

S

No, it is a replacement unit. I will sell the Lowrance when I get it back. And I have left it in Hayden’s hands to fit it.

37 minutes ago, christophagus said:

not happy with the lowrance?

Not really. I have always had Garmins before and the way they work suits me better. I also am not getting any younger and want to change to a bigger screen. Can’t fault the Lowrance though. It reads the bottom very well, even at very fast speeds and the Navionics card displays the maps in great detail and clarity. I’m just a Garmin man though, I’ve decided.

I don’t have a free fall anchor which just a regular one which means when I press the down button the anchor winch, goes in reverse to lay out rope slowly.

with a free fall anchor winch there is some gearing that allows the anchor to “free fall” under its own weight and gravity, thereby getting to the bottom much quicker.

I would definitely put this in the category of first work problem. I’m happy I don’t have to manually retrieve ☺️

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/02/2021 at 8:31 PM, Hweebe said:

I don’t have a free fall anchor which just a regular one which means when I press the down button the anchor winch, goes in reverse to lay out rope slowly.

with a free fall anchor winch there is some gearing that allows the anchor to “free fall” under its own weight and gravity, thereby getting to the bottom much quicker.

I would definitely put this in the category of first work problem. I’m happy I don’t have to manually retrieve ☺️

Mine seems to be a free fall anchor. It goes out quite quickly. The only problem is that when it reaches the bottom you need to reverse the boat to put pressure on the line so more line goes out.

1 hour ago, The Sloth said:

Hi Greg

Is the 9 inch screen in? If so can you post pic? I'm interested see how it fits in the dash.

Also got a pic of the anchor installation?

S

PS mine still getting Minn Kota sorted. batteries and charger in now just need custom mount to hold the motor.

I’ll add some pics under the ss64 thread.

5 hours ago, GregOug said:

Mine seems to be a free fall anchor. It goes out quite quickly. The only problem is that when it reaches the bottom you need to reverse the boat to put pressure on the line so more line goes out.

Hey @GregOug so u shouldn’t have to reverse to get more line out. Keep ur finger on the free fall and let the current drift your boat back as you would with a normal manual anchor rope?

30 minutes ago, Hweebe said:

Hey @GregOug so u shouldn’t have to reverse to get more line out. Keep ur finger on the free fall and let the current drift your boat back as you would with a normal manual anchor rope?

Yeah, but I’ve noticed that the rope stops going out where you can see it from the helm but it sometimes still unwinds in the anchor well. Perhaps I have a free fall/non free fall version? It probably depends on the way I hold my tongue. 

24 minutes ago, ellicat said:

If there's not much run when you put the anchor out that length of chain will probably pile up on itself until the water gets a bit of run in it, I'd have thought. This may be more prevalent in shallower water.

Yeah, I think it’s more user error than winch error. I’ll get used to it.