Hand held radio's.

Bri The Pom

Yes Bri you can get hand held vhf radios not sure about 27meg but vhf is the way to go. I dont have a vhf handheld but i have got some uhf handhelds things to look for being- waterproof/splashproof,rechargable or able to conect to 12 volt as the disposable ones tend to chew through the batteries

VHF should be same channels here, it is international marine frequencies. Might be some that are different, but emergency should be the same.

We have a couple of Icom hand helds at work 5watt units (one of which I am borrowing for the classic, cost nearly $400 each), they have about 3km range for clear (static free) use over water. After that they fade out fast. Might have better comms with a boat or land based with a big aerial though.

I've got a similar unit and it's great for closer communication - had a few giggles with faulked over the air when I was in that section of river.

I also have a VHF and can listen into the guys off Mooloolaba from my backyard in Holland Park with it...Cost me $60 odd dollars off ebay. Pity a licence is twice the price:blink:

Archived