Bites without hookups

Messyfish

Hi

I’ve been doing some bait fishing in and around Canberra, particularly for Cod on cheese. I’ve been getting lots of bites but few hookups. This is on baitholder hooks and circle hooks. I tend to baitfish with rods in holders. I often get solid bites but no hookup. I’ve tried keeping the line tight, giving it some slack, setting the drag as I want it for the fight or setting it super loose to allow the fish to take the bait. Nothing helps. What am I doing wrong???

I used to use 8/0s. You can get away with smaller hooks on a moving bait or lure but with using bait and sitting your rod in a holder I think you should go bigger than a 5/0. I've recently discovered that different brands can be different size gapes in the same size, so a 7/0 in 1 brand can be the same as a 5/0 in another.

I reckon it'd be a good idea to go at least an 8/0.

Yes you need big hooks and plenty of exposed hook. 

A loose drag or bait runner is good with a circle hook, then tighten the drag and let it hook itself. 

Cod aren't the most aggressive biters, they can take the bait but hold on for a bit before heading off. 

But for the most part you don't seem to be doing anything wrong, I like an 8/0 tuna circle as stated cod have huge gobs. 

Hey @Messyfish good to see there's at least one other ACT angler on here. I've tried for ages to even get a bite from a Murray Cod. What lake do you normally fish? I have usually taken the kayak out on Lake G but am keen to explore the Molonglo and Lake Burley Griffin. I use mostly lures from the yak. Do you get many reddies or Yellows using bait?

The trick is to be gentle and not to twist or bend anything too tightly or it breaks. 

But it's definitely cheap enough and flexible for this purpose. 

I'm just building a bracket to mount a roof top tent on the trey of the Ute atm, once I'm done with that job the men I will give this a try. 

Maybe even make a video.