Shimano Stella worth the coin?

Bob9863

I havent had a problem with any of the Stella's, I have with cheaper shimano's but the flagship range has been flawless IME. 

All the fish parks I go to run Stella's for their lure rods and bait runners for their bait rods and they definitely take a pounding. 

Time will tell how these hold up to some big arapima but I should find out by the end of the year fingers crossed. 

37 minutes ago, Bob9863 said:

I havent had a problem with any of the Stella's, I have with cheaper shimano's but the flagship range has been flawless IME. 

All the fish parks I go to run Stella's for their lure rods and bait runners for their bait rods and they definitely take a pounding. 

Time will tell how these hold up to some big arapima but I should find out by the end of the year fingers crossed. 

@Bob9863, if you ever decide to switch brands, I can help you dispose of all those Stellas...............

21 hours ago, Bob9863 said:

I was thinking about adding a Shimano Calcutta Conquest to my line-up. 

The only problem is I want to get out of baitcasters altogether. 

The only overhead I want will be my two overhead game rods. 

I love baitcasters, I love lures, I don’t use them enough LOL.

I am with you the Conquest 200 would be a lovely, and I would love an Ocea Conquest 300 for light jigging but it just wouldn’t get enough use at this point

What can I say that hasn't already been said?
You can't go wrong with top end quality gear.
Back in 81 or 82 I bought an Abu Garcia Ambassadeur 5000 Thumb Bar release, which I added a ratchet to, and a Abu Cardinal 52. Both were Made in Sweden models.
I've caught lots of fish with them over the years and they're still going strong 40 years later. 

I've still got Abu Garcia Ambassadeur c4 that I have had for 15-16 years now, it's had a few upgrades since then but only because it's been such a reliable reel. 

I've caught everything from little redfin to some decent 2m and bigger sharks on it and an absolute ton of Barra. 

They are a very underrated reel, I've given a lot of thought into getting one or two left hand ones. 

2 hours ago, Sylvathorn said:

What can I say that hasn't already been said?
You can't go wrong with top end quality gear.
Back in 81 or 82 I bought an Abu Garcia Ambassadeur 5000 Thumb Bar release, which I added a ratchet to, and a Abu Cardinal 52. Both were Made in Sweden models.
I've caught lots of fish with them over the years and they're still going strong 40 years later. 

I had a few of those Abu reels made in Sweden. My favourite was the Cardinal 57 with rear drag. Smooth as silk and lasted well over 30 years without a service. In the end the spindle for the winding handle wore out. I still have the Ambassadeur 7000 and it is like brand new after 40 odd years but doesn’t get a lot of use these days. I would still like a Stella.

8 hours ago, Old Scaley said:

I had a few of those Abu reels made in Sweden. My favourite was the Cardinal 57 with rear drag. Smooth as silk and lasted well over 30 years without a service. In the end the spindle for the winding handle wore out. I still have the Ambassadeur 7000 and it is like brand new after 40 odd years but doesn’t get a lot of use these days. I would still like a Stella.

yep, parts can wear, can't stop it, and I so love my 7000 too
Ambassadeur made some seriously good gear!