Shimano Stella worth the coin?

Bob9863

I'm thinking about getting a Stella 5000XGFK compact as a light weight heavy duty reel. 

I need something that will handle some hard fighting fish overseas, smooth drag, can handle some heavy abuse on long fights, controlled retrieval for both slow sensitive finesse work and fast retrieval when needed, with plenty of cast length and the ability to handle big lures. 

Most of all I want lasting quality that won't let me down when needed. 

Diawa has some good options too but I am fond of my shimano's. 

Absolutely. You get what you pay for, always.

Many years ago, I looked at all my tackle and decided to halve the amount of rods and reels I own, but double the quality. And it's served me very well ever since. Not only are high quality reels a pleasure to use and perfectly reliable, they also have extremely good resale value. I predominantly use Daiwa gear as I prefer it over shminano, and when say a new Exist model comes out I pop my old ones on ebay and I usually get almost what I paid for it, then before you know it I have 3 or 4 shiny new ones to enjoy. And I keep this up also with the Saltigas/Certates I use offshore and also the couple of little Luvias I keep for freshwater and trips down south and across to NZ.

I was looking at the exist range too, but I like the look of the Stella more but feature wise they are very close. 

The exist does hold more line  and is a little lighter which are very big advantages for what I'm after. 

The rod I intend to put it on is an 8kg 5 piece nitro travel rod, it will see service mostly on arapima, but red tail catfish and tarpon are also in its sights. 

Diawa certate. 14000XH. 

Same as the saltiga (I have both) but older saltiga bail arm. 

It's everything you want. 

Awesome reels. 

Watch matty smashing the GT's with em up Airlie way. 

Pelagic persuit. 

Certate 14k XH

300M of saltiga  PE6 12 BRAID. 

Hang on!

I use mine for reefies and trolling. 

4 hours ago, Junky said:

Diawa certate. 14000XH. 

Same as the saltiga (I have both) but older saltiga bail arm. 

It's everything you want. 

Awesome reels. 

Watch matty smashing the GT's with em up Airlie way. 

Pelagic persuit. 

Certate 14k XH

300M of saltiga  PE6 12 BRAID. 

Hang on!

I use mine for reefies and trolling. 

That Pelegic Pursuit guy is a full on knob head 

Yeah, I gotta agree it's hard to read much of what he writes. 

I also think the Diawa certate range is bigger then I need, all I need is around 8kg minimum drag, 150m of 50lb braid, smooth drag, light weight and a long cast. 

If the Stella is worth the money over other reels in their line-up then it's worth it for me. It fits all that criteria and it's supposed to be a beautifully smooth and long lasting reel. 

I'd like this to last like my C4 ambassadeur, just keep on ticking and doing all I want it to for many many years while other reels come and go. 

4 hours ago, Bob9863 said:

Yeah, I gotta agree it's hard to read much of what he writes. 

I also think the Diawa certate range is bigger then I need, all I need is around 8kg minimum drag, 150m of 50lb braid, smooth drag, light weight and a long cast. 

If the Stella is worth the money over other reels in their line-up then it's worth it for me. It fits all that criteria and it's supposed to be a beautifully smooth and long lasting reel. 

I'd like this to last like my C4 ambassadeur, just keep on ticking and doing all I want it to for many many years while other reels come and go. 

I misunderstood you. 

No, they're not worth it. 

Is there a reason why, everything I read up on the 2022, hell any of them actually says they are the gold standard. 

What are they missing or not good at that makes them not worth it and what reel is the best of the high end value for money wise? 

I'm quiet certain my vanford 5000 would be up to the job if I didn't abuse it too much, but I would like something I can really work the arse off of. 

One curious thing I've noticed is that the main stella features are the same as vanford that I've already got. 

I'm thinking that my current vanford 5000 might do the job, although that definitely doesn't mean that I don't want one any more. 

The most popular reel the locals use is are shimano bait runners, and the Vanford definitely has better bearings and drag then they do. 

On 03/09/2022 at 10:00 AM, Bob9863 said:

Is there a reason why, everything I read up on the 2022, hell any of them actually says they are the gold standard. 

What are they missing or not good at that makes them not worth it and what reel is the best of the high end value for money wise? 

I'm quiet certain my vanford 5000 would be up to the job if I didn't abuse it too much, but I would like something I can really work the arse off of. 

Yeah that was supposed to say THEY ARE WORTH IT. 

Geez, I had a shocker the other day. 

Sorry for the confusion Bob. 

For a reel chasing trophy big fish like Arapima and Tarpon ect, money isn't a deciding factor for me. 

If it was for fishing down the river 20min from home then I'd go for the best bang for my buck, but flying overseas and maybe getting one shot at a dream giant fish, be it the reel, the line, the rod or the knot then you don't want to risk any of those things letting you down. 

When your catching 5-8 different big fish in one day then you don't want your drag letting you down either, not the maximum setting as even after 10min of 6kg drag you start wearing out, but having one that can handle 10-20min of line screaming off the reel without cooking is very important. 

I was just getting out of baitcasting gear so having sold a lot of good gear off I've got plenty in my fishing kitty to get something top of the line. 

Well as long as the wife doesn't find out how much I've put aside anyway. 🤣

On 05/09/2022 at 6:18 PM, Another Wazza said:

Hey Bob, have you considered the Daiwa Certate?, they seem to be a very capable nice reel, saving you quite a few $$$ compared to the Stella

Love my certate'. 

Have 2. 

My 4000 hyper is nearing on 20yrs old and still tough as nails. 

Seems bobs heart is in shimano though. 

Nice score BTW bob. 

On 05/09/2022 at 6:04 AM, Drop Bear said:

They are very good quality and worth the money if you can afford them. I won't buy one... I don't look after my gear very well. 

This is me as well. I'm not good with looking after my gear and certainly if you get a Stellar you will need to commit time to keeping always clean after a fishing sesh.

I'm ok when i'm fishing from home base and doing the post fishing sesh cleanup in the mancave, but when i'm out on location its usually the last thing I want to do

That's the thing with them, my Vanfords do a brilliant job, they are probably 70% as good as the Stella and I definitely don't need a Stella for the fishing I do around here. 

But they are just so buttery smooth, balanced and feel that little bit more special. In no practical way is it worth upgrading, but I do a lot more casting then catching and using the damn things almost is a pleasure in itself. 

The other option is a twin power, it would be 90% or more as good as the stella but only 50% of the cost. 

On 13/9/2022 at 8:31 PM, Bob9863 said:

I'm obviously not in those circles either, bloody shame. 

I'm actually thinking that I might get a twin power instead of a stella, I don't think I "need" a stella for this job but a twin power is 80% of what a stella is but half the price. 

Have you considered the Sustain?  I struggled to feel the difference between a Sustain 5000 and a TP 5000.

19 hours ago, Huxstang said:

Have you considered the Sustain?  I struggled to feel the difference between a Sustain 5000 and a TP 5000.

I have a sustain FJ5000xg high speed. 

Was given as a gift. 

Firstly, super smooth but looks frail ie, bail arm is really thin wire, reel foot is smaller, lots of plastic. 

THIS IS PURELY MY EXPERIENCE AND OPINION. 

Within 6 trips I had stripped the main crown gear. Had to hand line the last fish in. Replaced the main gear but its all munchy inside now. 

Fish caught were the typical offshore mix, snapps, small AJs tuna mackerel etc. 

It was spooled with 20lb gosen braid and 30lb fluro leader, same as my old faithful diawa capricorn. 

Have to send back to shimano, don't think I'm going to as its not warranty (because I've opened it up) and I don't want to waste tonnes of coin on it, because they are up there in price and I'd imagine bits will be dear, plus the cost of freight etc. 

I would rate the reel worse than a 20yr old capricorn. 

They are not built for offshore or bigger fish, more for spinning small tailor trevs etc. 

14 hours ago, Junky said:

Someone's got a reel problem. 

I had that years ago with bait casters. 

I don't really use bait casters but they look awesome. I ended up with a few.Still have them

Im I  a similar boat, I bought some good baitcasters, Diawa Ryoga and Steez but I only got into them as that's what all the pros seem to use. 

Honestly I prefer my spinning gear, the ability to swap from right to left hand is very important to me. 

I've got a pretty much destroyed shoulder so after a while my right shoulder gives in and when that happens I can go to right hand wind with a spinning reel. 

Around home quality isn't a, problem but when I go over seas chasing the big hard fighting fish then you absolutely need a reel that can handle some serious work. 

I noticed that my Vanford has a little flex in it and if I was to use it on an arapima then I just don't think it will hold up for too long. All the big parks use Stella's for their reels as they last fighting fish like that every day, so I figured if that's what they trust for their livelihood then that's what I should trust. 

That's why I got the 4000,but the 1000 isn't really needed, but they are just so good to use I wanted one for my light finesse work. I know if I look after it then in 20 years time I will still be using it and it will still be perfect. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 16/9/2022 at 9:20 AM, Junky said:

I have a sustain FJ5000xg high speed. 

Was given as a gift. 

Firstly, super smooth but looks frail ie, bail arm is really thin wire, reel foot is smaller, lots of plastic. 

THIS IS PURELY MY EXPERIENCE AND OPINION. 

Within 6 trips I had stripped the main crown gear. Had to hand line the last fish in. Replaced the main gear but its all munchy inside now. 

Fish caught were the typical offshore mix, snapps, small AJs tuna mackerel etc. 

It was spooled with 20lb gosen braid and 30lb fluro leader, same as my old faithful diawa capricorn. 

Have to send back to shimano, don't think I'm going to as its not warranty (because I've opened it up) and I don't want to waste tonnes of coin on it, because they are up there in price and I'd imagine bits will be dear, plus the cost of freight etc. 

Ps give you $50 for it 😉

On 16/9/2022 at 9:20 AM, Junky said:

I would rate the reel worse than a 20yr old capricorn. 

They are not built for offshore or bigger fish, more for spinning small tailor trevs etc. 

yeah i dont think Sustains are offshore reels - they are a lot smaller than the SW series reels and i think Shimano actually call them as inshore reels.   Not sure about plastic foot as they are alloy cased reels not Ci4.

Check Shimano Aus web page for service - i have to send a gosa in after i fell into it after a stuck anchor let go and i went a over t.   From memory service charge was not that high and i saw parts prices online and they aren’t high at all for most parts.