Easy Day on the water

Neil Stratford

Good to see someone using their noggins against the sharks! A couple of factoids from me that might add to the info:

1. Sharks and rays have ability to detect magnetic fields, whereas fin fish do not. I’d suggest that the difference in catch rate of Spanish you observed would be only from the magnet altering how the baits swim, not from magnetic fields. But I could be wrong!

2. When shark researchers were looking at developing electromagnetic deterrents to prevent shark bites on surfers and divers they were effective if they were strong enough, close enough to the potential target. But, if the shark was in “feeding mode” even the strongest magnetic field would not deter them from biting the target. 

so magnets, if strong enough, may put off potential shark depredation but not if the shark has decided to eat the hooked mackerel before it feels any magnetic field. I would suggest the vibrations of a hooked mackerel would overwhelm whatever field a magnet is generating from the front of the hooks. 

perhaps someone could patent an affordable magnetic snapper sinker for paternoster use? Lead goes for ~$8kg so if the product was slightly more expensive (say $10-12 kg) I reckon most people would go for it. 

@Daryl McPhee may have more info on this topic

Hi Bob , That would be an option for reef fish but for toothy Pelagics like mackerel you need to be mindful that they sometimes snap at  anything moving through the water  , I don’t use snaps for that reason  , I just join the wire trace to my main line with  a very small unassuming black 80 lb swivel. 
I’m nowhere near convinced that the large sharks that I’m dealing with give one iota about a magnetic field. I can usually get most mackerel to the boat in probably close to  under 2 minutes , bigger fish a little longer. They always go for a small 10 m odd  run when they see the boat , the next 30 odd seconds it takes to get them back to the boat is when a significant amount of  my spanish are taken . With the magnets being thrashed around with mackerels head shakes , Im hoping that maybe the sharks might sense somethings  just not right and they turn off once or twice  , and I can get 10 more seconds  .I have no doubt they will learn and totally ignore the magnetic field especially if everyone uses them , it will probably  even attract them  more eventually . Im also thinking maybe hanging a speaker over the side after a hook up playing a recording really loud might work . Does any one have a recording of the sound of an Orca eating a shark , or maybe Some old Abba classics might even scare them off for a while if I play it loud enough.

IMO There’s no way even a huge magnetic field is going to stop them  getting what they want ,  if they learn to associate magnetic fields with food I recon they start eating the magnets . If there’s two or more sharks competing for your fish you have little to no chance . But , I think if anglers can get an extra 20 seconds  using a variety of different scare off tactics ,a lot less fish would be taken.