How to catch Jewfish/kingfish off Breakwalls.

Brodie_S

Was wondering if anyone knows how to consistently catch Jewfish or kingfish off breakwalls or just a few tips.

Me and my mates are using the same setup a 750 Penn Spinfisher matched to a 6-8kg 8 foot fiberglass rod. Reels have a few hundred metres of bright 20lb green mono i usually tie this to a running sinker rig with a swivel and use clear 70lb mono for leader. Not sure if this is overkill but there is a lot of structure and hazards in the water so i want to be safe. Been using freshly caught yellowtail or whole frozen pilchards as bait. I'm not sure if this is the best tatic for jewfish and kingfish but giving it a go. 

Any tips or advice appreciated. 

my mate managed to catch a small jewfish on sunset the other night but that was it. We kept getting baited by what i presume to be pesky bream and left shortly after as we fished all day on lighter setups for bream/trevally and also baitfish.

45cm jewfish caught on a whole pilchard using the running sinker rig.

IMG_1005.jpeg

Search back through Timmy turtles videos on YouTube. 

He got a stonker jew off the wall at Yamba a while back. 

He is casting for them so the old 100/1 comes into play, Casts/fish. 

I have caught kings as by catch in the boat, and found they feed similar to tuna when schooled up. 

We would tie one off at the boat using 200lb so he sits nicely under the boat and not stressing out. He will have several mates with him. Simply drop chrome slugs down and wind them back up fast. 

Not sure how that would go on a rock wall,  it they definitely hit chrome halco twisties. 

Cheers thanks for all the advice everyone.

I'll try live yellowtail with my mates like @AUS-BNE-FISHO and @mzaakir suggested. And try plastics like others suggested when i'm fishing by myself as my mates have just started fishing they need to get the basics down pat first such as quick and fast knots and good bait presentation. I'll go light at first for lures and see how i go like @Noah Fitzpatrick said i'll use my atomic arrows estuary rod paired with a 2500 ci4+ with 14lb leader and see how that goes. @ellicat Thanks for the video i'll save it and give it a watch.

Cheers thanks to everyone for all the advice should help my chances on getting a decent Jewie.

• 2 weeks later...

I did a write up on jewfish, however keeping in mind there is no such thing as consistently catching any species and definitely not jewfish. They do not call them the ghost of the estuary for nothing!

In Sydney I found king fishier easier to target than jewfish (harder to land they fight hard and dirty especially the big boys) but again not consistently.

Hope my little write up helps! good luck and tight lines.