Fishing Rod Repairs

Sylvathorn

Hi @Sylvathorn.

Nice work on your recent rod repairs. 

I'm not sure what your process is in terms of taking clients, but I was wondering if you would potentially be able to fix one of mine, please?

I have a question about one of my own rods that could do with some repair:

I don't remember the exact model but its an older, basic Shimano Sonic rod, I think around 3-5kg, which I used for bait fishing with my dad when I was younger. 

It's been in storage for a while, and when I got back into fishing, the guides were split and their ceramic had cracked and gone missing. 

I assume this would call for complete guide replacement. 

Would you please be able to quote/get an estimated cost for this sort of repair? (I think its only 2 guides that are broken). 

Since the rod is already not the most expensive, whether or not I go with the repair will depend on the cost of repair VS the value of the rod. 

Cheers, 

Charlie

3 hours ago, Sylvathorn said:

Hi @TheCharliefisho, thank you for your confidence 🙂 , and yes a cracked guide needs replacing, can catch the line and cause it to break.

I don't doubt that I could fix it, guide replacements are straightforward, and I mostly charge $15 per guide up here, plus the cost of the guide itself - guides are usually from $1.5 to $5 mostly for light rods.

Problem is that you show as being in the Brisbane area, and freight cost to ship the rod (both ways) would kill it.
There are plenty of people doing rod repairs down there, perhaps some of the other members in the Brissy area might be able to help.

Any members able to help Charlie?

cheers
Misha

Hi Misha, thanks a lot for your response!

I see - main reason I wanted it fixed was so that I didn't get any snap offs. 

Sorry for my ignorance, I was unaware you weren't nearby. 

Thanks for the help though, Misha.

- Charlie