What fish will chomp a yellowtail?

OZrevhead

Hey guys, yesterday I was lucky enough to catch a yellowtail while bottom fishing near the Tweed River entrance so I put it out under a bobby to see if anything would take it. I hooked him lightly through the shoulder as I have seen and done before. He swam around happily for about half an hour then the tugging on the rod increased briefly and stopped. I knew what that meant so I reeled him in and he was bitten clean off just a hair away from my hook.

So my question is - what fish, other than a Tailor, will chomp off 3/4 of a yellowtail and leave me with just a head?

I assume kingfish would swallow a yellowtail whole, so I am intrigued as to what I missed.

🙂

IMG_20230519_105403.jpg

I don't really think a bream would bite a 20cm yellowtail in half like that, shark maybe. I do reckon it was probably a tailor but I was wondering if anything else could do that kind of damage to a baitfish. 

Also, he was about 70-80cm down in about 4-5m of water. 

Another fisho told me that tailor had been active on the surface a few hundred metres from shore where I was fishing and another fisherman caught a smaller tailor just down the way from me (around 20-25cm so he released it).

This is the fella before I sentenced him to death:

IMG_20230519_102145.thumb.jpg.19dd00a2e3280da38e677bcf7d3347a5.jpg

Hey mate, yeah for sure, that hook was left on the tiniest thread of skin.... So close but not close enough. 

As a land based fisherman I have never caught a kingfish, I have caught Amberjack on lures at the same spot as above. They were alot of fun, I'm sure kingies will be even better.

I am in the market for a boat and when I do get one then kingies are very high on my list of priorities (ie Molly point for starters)

🙂

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/05/2023 at 4:23 PM, OZrevhead said:

Hey mate, yeah for sure, that hook was left on the tiniest thread of skin.... So close but not close enough. 

As a land based fisherman I have never caught a kingfish, I have caught Amberjack on lures at the same spot as above. They were alot of fun, I'm sure kingies will be even better.

I am in the market for a boat and when I do get one then kingies are very high on my list of priorities (ie Molly point for starters)

🙂

More than likely a shark or a tailor, potentially even a crab. The piers hold a lot of kings in the mornings land based. However if you do get a boat, there is a spot up river from the spit bridge, maybe like 5-10 min ride. You will see a wrecked yacht on the sounder, that wreck holds a lot of fish. From kings to jews to snapper.