Live bait in brisbane river

G1V
Go to solution Solved by AUS-BNE-FISHO,

Hi team,

Me and my Son have started fishing in the port region of the brisbane river. I’ve been trying to source decent areas for live bait casting but most places I head to have barely any baitfish around. 

I’ve been trying creek mouths, jetties and along the banks but best I could do was a couple herring and mullet. 

my question is, does anybody have a consistent spot to gather live bait in this area. (Around Pinkenba boat ramp)

im aware I may get the. “do better or learn to find bait” talk and yes I’m trying. Hence asking this community instead of just bumbling along. 

is jigging in the river viable?

thanks in advance everyone. Look forward to some responses! ✌️

• Solution

Hi,

You can normally catch lots of herring and occasionally some pike on small sabiki jigs around jetties in the river, but some days you just won't get anything. Normally you can cast net schools of herring around jetties off the front in deeper water, silver biddies and mullet towards the bank, or decent amounts of prawns at night. I never fish around Pinkenba though, only upstream from the Gateway. 

Cheers. 

Honestly it seems most jetty's hold bait but not consistently, me and my partner where at Colmslie and we would be lucky to get a live bait every 4th or 5th cast on the net. Nek minute, one of the casts ended up with at least 50 Herring. Sometimes when the bait is scarce the sabiki jig with a tiny bit of bait works better.

• 2 weeks later...