Coomera River Barra!!!

Cowfish13

My Dad's a docter and he see's alot of people and sometimes talks to them about fishing and one of the people he see's is a Fisheries Fish Counter and this looks a the types of fish being caught and how many. You may have been approached by one at a boat ramp before:dry:. They just come up to you and make a tally of fish caught. I don't think that they have any legal power so they can't fine you.

Anyway, he told my Dad today that someone caught a 1.3m Barramundi in the Coomera River. This guy was using pillies for Mangrove Jack and he caught it as bycatch:ohmy:. They don't know whether it was a wild one or just an introduced one. Unfortunately, when they tried to release it, it died so they kept it.

Just thought I'd let everyone know:)

I'd put money on it spilling in from a private dam or something. Still, someone got one in the Noosa River so you never know. Maybe one rogue fish got lost looking for some action on the GC ;)took something it shouldn't have and woke up in the Coomera river and forgot how to get home.

Actually that story was in the QT (with a pic) just before that girl got that big one up North. I was going to scan it in and post it on hear, but apparently there was a competition on the back and my dear mother posted it LOL:blink:

EDIT: mmm I think it was the Logan or even Noosa (I remember thinking I've heard of them in there before), but I'm guessing I've just forgotten and it was the same fish

Dan23 wrote:

I'd put money on it spilling in from a private dam or something. Still, someone got one in the Noosa River so you never know. Maybe one rogue fish got lost looking for some action on the GC ;)took something it shouldn't have and woke up in the Coomera river and forgot how to get home.

They actually get a few barra in the noosa river system, its the most southern known breeding population

heres some links to a few that have been caught

http://www.fishingnoosa.com.au/feb0107.htm

http://www.fishingnoosa.com.au/feb0203b.htm

Lee

Cowfish13 wrote:

This isn't just a tall tale or anything. It happened!! The fisheries inspector saw the fish.

Like I said above, it probably isn't a wild migrant Barra, but it was there.

Dont doubt that is what the fisheries guy said, but it is difficult for it to be true for the species. This time of year it is somewhat plausible as most of the water is about 24c but I would think it was washed down the river and its survival would have been no more than 24hours the variations in salinity and temperature are far too wide.

There are more reports occuring of rogue barra being caught through out the Moreton bay area. Things are warming up and the northern fish are going more south every year. Alot of pelagics etc that were mainly qld and N/NSW have been caught more south then usual last year.

And that there is a great Barra fishing location just a few hours North at Mary river.

Who knows?

Wow, this thread sure opened a can of worms - opinions everywhere on errant barra!! For what it's worth, I was at the Bribie Island bait & tackle shop (the one near the pier about 5 mins drive along the waterfront) and saw a barra in their bait fridge...would have been about 85cm long. Seems some bloke caught it in his cast net up one of the creek mouths north of the bridge. Bloke in the tackle shop swears it was a true story, too!

• 12 years later...
On 10/01/2008 at 7:04 PM, Cowfish13 said:

My Dad's a docter and he see's alot of people and sometimes talks to them about fishing and one of the people he see's is a Fisheries Fish Counter and this looks a the types of fish being caught and how many. You may have been approached by one at a boat ramp before:dry:. They just come up to you and make a tally of fish caught. I don't think that they have any legal power so they can't fine you.

Anyway, he told my Dad today that someone caught a 1.3m Barramundi in the Coomera River. This guy was using pillies for Mangrove Jack and he caught it as bycatch:ohmy:. They don't know whether it was a wild one or just an introduced one. Unfortunately, when they tried to release it, it died so they kept it.

Just thought I'd let everyone know:)

We have caught Barra in the Coomera river. And they have been between the sizes of 68cm up to 111cm. One night we dropped about 8 fish before finally landing one. The 111cm took 20mins to land and played up big time. Unfortunately it would not release so we decided to keep it. Went 18.5kgs on the scales. There are plenty of Barra in the river systems around the Gold Coast just not easy to find. 

8 hours ago, Mick kelly said:

We have caught Barra in the Coomera river. And they have been between the sizes of 68cm up to 111cm. One night we dropped about 8 fish before finally landing one. The 111cm took 20mins to land and played up big time. Unfortunately it would not release so we decided to keep it. Went 18.5kgs on the scales. There are plenty of Barra in the river systems around the Gold Coast just not easy to find. 

That is awesome. I would love to catch one, one day... Got any photos? 

8 hours ago, Mick kelly said:

And welcome to the forum Mick

17 hours ago, Mick kelly said:

Hi Mick

That is awesome! I have heard of barra caught around the GC area, but 111cm is a giant. Good job. Shame it wouldn't release. 

Welcome to the forum. Any piccies of those barra?

Cheers Hamish