Hinze Dam Toga Comp Report

Angus

Hey everone. I am nackered! I will do my bit later but wanted to kick this off.

I caught a few bass on lures and no Toga.

Steve got a 60cm Toga which was cool though.

Jimmybob hooked a beast of a toga. And this is no fishing story. We all saw him trying to fight it out of a bed of flooded grass. It was slithering through the grass like a snake. Very cool. Sadly after rolling several times the lure popped out of its boney mouth. Not a happy camper :)

Fishing was tough during the day and only really picked up in the morning and late arvo.

All in all though good company and a great couple of days on the water.

Thanks to all those who attended. It represented the true AFO spirit of friendly, helpful, sharing people keen to have a fish and share info etc. No big heads and ego's just there to brag, just all good fun.

Ill post some pics soon.

Angus

Angus said the fly rod is sitting in the cupboard until the winter camp comp where it will be added to the prize pool.The old furts only caught 7 fish all weekend although we lost quite a few hits on the spinners. None of which had stingers fitted.

3 on spinners Graham 2 one for me.

3 on hard bodies trolling ( me )

1 bait Graham

Graham caught his first fish on a spinner bait and is now converted after he caught his first one he said stuff the bait so we probably only used 10 shrimp all weekend.

Some drongo called ray left his wallet in the cabin ( I hope) I am waiting for the cleaning lady to ring me in the morning. She was very good as she iffered to drive up there and chack this afternoon.

Hers are a few photos.

Drongo fat guts with first fish. [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/P1010863_AFO-86db57a42fb0ace9f4ce98033432efaa.jpg

post-230-144598440761_thumb.jpg

Another interesting point for the weekend was the lack of bass on bait. After about 2 hours of casting at middaly for not a lot the first day i came the conclusion that "bugger this ill drop some unweighted shrimp and at least have some fun with bass and on the slight off chance of a toga until it gets later". Long story short. Only one caught on bait. This seemed consistant throughout the weekend with at least 90% of the fish being landed on lures.

Also ill point out that both ladies who attended completely trumped their significant others :P

Plasticman: I did not get rained on until the last 10 minutes. However some other boats were drenched on Saturday. There were small isolated squalls going across the water.

Angus

Angus wrote:

Another interesting point for the weekend was the lack of bass on bait. After about 2 hours of casting at middaly for not a lot the first day i came the conclusion that "bugger this ill drop some unweighted shrimp and at least have some fun with bass and on the slight off chance of a toga until it gets later". Long story short. Only one caught on bait. This seemed consistant throughout the weekend with at least 90% of the fish being landed on lures.

Also ill point out that both ladies who attended completely trumped their significant others :P

Plasticman: I did not get rained on until the last 10 minutes. However some other boats were drenched on Saturday. There were small isolated squalls going across the water.

Angus

Oh guys you will have to ask Steve and Paul about the Loch Hinze Monster/Dragon.

Dangerous stuff and im not joking. If your boat got caught in this things path you would be capsised easily and your gear would become part of the furnishings for the bottom of the dam.

Angus

I got the most on saturday with 5, biggest was 38cm. Most people caught at least one, but there were hard work. Almost all of mine where in 20M of water on a fast troll. had a Boomarang, and a Mad Mullet, and a white G-Vibe that caught my fish, no hits at all on the spinnerbait. Unfortunately I lost the G-Vibe to a cranky Bass ( only 6 pound line ) he managed to snap it going spastic in the 'yak.

Today I caught absolutely nothing, tried every Lure I have and nothing at all, others were luckier than me. I left the leccy off today and relied on paddle power, was good fun, but I'm bloody tired now!

35cm Bass

DSC03141.JPG

38cm Bass

DSC03145.JPG

Rat Bass

DSC03146.JPG

How I became known as WrongTurn_Taken

We left Hinze Dam for the camp site, and I was driving a little slow because the Yak wasn't as secure as I'd have liked on the roof. We were turning right at an intersection ( stop sign ) when the car behind me (Russ?) got delayed giving way to a car, I slowed right down until I was sure they could see me ( Convoy Rule no 1: always make sure the car behind you is still behind you ). By this time the other cars were out of sight in front of us.

We were driving along when the road veers right and there's a left hand turn, a car with high-beams on drove around from the left ( which was a slight veer to the left ) and I didn't even see the intersection and followed the road to the left. Russ and the others did see the intersection, I probably acted as a break for the highbeams, but nobody behind me nor myself actually knew how to get where we were going, so everyone just assumed I did ( BIG MISTAKE! )

So we're driving along, and we get into some really twisty turny road through the state forest, so of the corners were a lot sharper than they looked. We crossed a cattle grid, and the bitumen gave way to dirt shortly after. Up ahead is a crossing over a slightly flooded floodway, and I'm thinking now that we must have gone wrong somewhere, but figured somebody else probably knew where we were going and would have honked or flashed or something if we had of. Another ( deeper ) water crossing later and the dirt gave way to mud.

Shortly after it got quite muddy we came to a dead end with enough room to turn around. We discussed what happened, and realised where we'd gone wrong, so headed back for that original turn off.

Everyone was in good humour about the miss-turn and was able to laught about it, and Rocket was able to test out the Traction in his fancy Imprezza. All cars were at 4wd with the Imprezza being AWD. Lucky too, a 2wd might have had trouble in a few spots.

Monsters from the deep

I was paddling along and could see steve in the distance and some random in a tinny. Up ahead I notice something a bit weird in the middle of the water. At first all it seemed like was fish madly on the boil ( aka tuna in the bay ) but getting closer I thought it was a Dam wall overflowing or something ahead as there was definately some fast water movement, but then I saw waves that were at least a foot tall and what looked like tails rolling and flipping.

I was just about to yell to Steve as he was heaps closer to make sure he could see it, when I hear him shout "I think it's a whale!". I knew better, it was obviously a monster of some sort.

as I got closer the disturbance settled, and all that was left was a bunch of foam ( like you get at the beach ) and big chunks of black matter. Steve went really close and claimed that it stunk really bad. I went around the peripheral of it, and caught a fair old stink as well.

Just past it I managed to tangle some line so stopped to sort it out, Steve's gotten a fair way away and I hear a funny nose, I look up and not far from the 'yak is a what looks like a massive underwater spring shooting water up a good foot with big chunks of black crap ( what looked like the tails earlier ) was coming up too.

I decided it must be a heap of trapped gas ( from rotten matter decomposing below ) that reached a critical mass of bouyancy and broke free of whatever was trapping it, taking chunks of crap up with it.

Steve and I were later telling Angus about it, and he very sensibly said 'Sounds like the Loch Hinze Monster mate!'. with such a clear statement backed up by hard scientific research we both had to agree with him.

Gotta love Hinze!

A great weekend, full of many firsts.

Kath and I had both caught bass there previously, but only on shrimp. This weekend saw us both catch bass on HB and Spinnerbaits. Not only this, but Kath also caught a PB bass!

You will see the pictures to follow (hopefully!... 1st photobucket attempt:blush: !)

That bass went 45cm to the fork and approx 48cm to the tip.

It was chuncky too, and was caught casting laterally whilst trolling bibs out the back. Top effort on 4 pound crystal and 8 pound fluro (...so proud:kiss: )

Also took fish on Halco/RMG 3m+ 52mm, Jarvis Walker Intruder 7ft+ ($2.50 + upgrade VMC trebles) and AusSpin SpinnerBaits (black/red and brown/gold 3/8th.

The most fishy lure of the weekend was a Strike King diver we got in the BRC show-bag. This lure (black and yellow) was magic, and got 3 times as many hits as all of the others combined whilst trolling at "3" on the min kota, about a cast and a half off either bank.

All this meant we left the shrimp in the bucket for 90% of the time, and the other 10% they just got lonely, cause no bass wanted to know them:huh:

Great group, very friendly, and coffee delivered to your boat on the water, what more could you want.

Final Tally:

Kath 4 Sat (trolling)

Rod 2 Sat (1 troll+1 cast(spinner))

Kath 2 Sun (1 troll+1 cast(spinner))

Rod 3 Sun(trolling)

=

Kath 6

Rod 5

Knew that was gunna happen:blush: Hope you like the pictures.

Rocket

Kath's first on hard body:

hinzeJan08002.jpg

Rod's first on hard body:

hinzeJan08004.jpg

Rod's first on spinner:

hinzeJan08012.jpg

Rod's on spinner (on measure):

hinzeJan08015.jpg

Big Lure / Little Fish!!!:

hinzeJan08007.jpg

Big Lure / Little Fish (on measure):