AFO vs Lake Baroon - 3rd Feb 08 - Report/Roundup

username_taken

Arrived shortly after 5 to see a lot of people already there, took my time to unload the 'yak and put it in.

Fish were plentiful on the sounder, but converting them to hookups was hard work. I wasn't having any luck casting crankbaits or spinners but was getting a few fish trolling, so I pretty much gave up on casting and just trolled around. Most of my fish were caught on a Predatek Boomarang 8 metre in purple, also had a hookup on a yellow/orange Predatek 2 meter and got one trolling a Strike King Red Eye Shad Lipless Crank Bait ( As seen in the AFO shop :P ) in 'Sexy Shad' colour.

I got a total of 5 fish, the biggest going 32cm, the smallest about 25cm. I think most of them were reaction strikes rather than feeding strikes, a few of them were foul hooked. I think the recent influx of new water has slowed things right down.

On Strike King Lure

DSC03166.JPG

Purple Predatek

DSC03169.JPG

Lunch was excellent if a little slow ( I hate those electric BBQ's ) lucky I'd brought along my Cobb, so I fired that up and it helped get through the sausages pretty quick. I highly recommened Angus' butcher, he makes a mighty fine sauage.

Well after a nervous wait from Friday through to starting time, Maleny only had about 10mm of Rain, so when we all rolled up at the Montville ramp the dam was open! We could launch boats and Kayaks.

It was a good turn out considering the risk people had to take, some people travelled 3 hours on the off chance the dam would be open! I counted 13 yaks, and 5 boats. But counting was hard, people were all over the dam!

Well having greased the rollers on the trailer, I was suprised that when I was all set to launch, and undid the cable, the Silver Bullet self launched! Just as well I had the tether rope tied around the winch post.!

Well I had the pleasure of Kevin And Dan fishing with me, and we had a good start, launching at about 5:45am with Dan getting a little Bass as we trolled away from the ramp. However it was pretty quite after that, we have a few showers, including a long heavy downpour that lasted a good half an hour. Kevin was th enext to catch a fish, with a legal bass casting at the snags. It was looking pretty sad for me, we worked our way around the eastern arm of the dam, got a few touches, and Kevin and Dan lost a few fish but nothing more boated until we were headed back up the dam when we stopped for a yarn with Rocket. They had got 8, mostly trolling, so I let the boys talk me into doing some trolling, the result of which I finally caught a fish! A Little later we spotted a school on the sounder, and Dan and I both got a cast into the school, Dan got a hit and missed it, and I boated a legal bass. It was about 11 by then and we Got a call from Terry, the Yakkers had run out of fuel and were firing up the BBQ, so we gave it away and headed to the BBQ area. Quite a site with all the yaks lined up on the bank whne we got there.

We then had a nice social feed, and people drifted off, until only a few of the stallwarts remained. Cleaned up and decided to head for the ramp to pull the boats. Had a close call with the bullet, as the ramp was so steep, I had put the trailer in a little to deep, with th result the boat was not touching the back self centering roller and pulle don a little crooked. Dino was helping me give her a bit of a shove when the Winch Rope snapped! I had not put the safety chain on yet, and was very very lucky she just sat there (remember she self launched only a few hours earlier). The boat was about 4" to far from the winch post for the safety chain to be put on, So I very nervously let out some more cable, and tied it to the front of the boat, hoping it was not going to take off while I had my hands in and around the wire rope tieing a Knot! Fastest loop knot I ever tied I can assure you!

Anyway here are some pics, It was a great day all round, good company, a few fish caught, a feed, what more could you ask for!

PS I have a confession to make, not only did I catch my first ever fish doing the "evil" trolling today, but Kev and Dan baught me a little present for taking me fishing - a Jackall Lure! So I am now a Yuppie Troller! (The Jackall is now safely in the Missus's jewellery box, where we keep all the family valuables!)

P1100286.jpg

P1100287.jpg

P1100288.jpg

P1100289.jpg

P1100290.jpg

P1100291.jpg

P1100292.jpg

P1100293.jpg

P1100294.jpg

P1100295.jpg

P1100296.jpg

P1100297.jpg

P1100298.jpg

P1100300.jpg

P1100302.jpg

P1100303.jpg

P1100305.jpg

P1100306.jpg

P1100307.jpg

P1100308.jpg

P1100309.jpg

P1100310.jpg

P1100311.jpg

P1100312.jpg

Tom B and I got to the dam first on dark started off with poppers we caught 3 spangles and I lost 1 bass to the weed then we went onto spinnerbaits and we ended up with 10 bass between us casting to the edges Tom lost a good bass to some sticks got a glimpse of it before it got it self off,1 bass was caught trolling on a purple hot lips lure biggest was 35cm to the fork the rest where just legal.

Toms first for the morning [img size=499]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/100_0134_00_AFO.jpg

post-1103-144598442839_thumb.jpg

Nice one Paul good start to the reports fro Baroon. Well done on 5. I struggled to get my 3. No regrets whatsoever though. I have never seen the dam remain glassy like that until like 11:00am. For those of you who were not there it was like paddling on a mirror. Fantastic!

Attached is a picture that Feral just emailed me of so called "Yak Lice" :P

Great day guys and thanks to all that turned up.

Oh and RE the sasuages, thanks to an arrangement I may be making with that butcher, expect more sasuages of that quality at future AFO events :)

Angus

P.S. Ill post more pictures later. [img size=400]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/yaks.jpg

Great day even though I only got the one Bass but I'm a total newbie so I was happy.

Thanks again to feral for the trip out but the idea of giving you that Jackal was for you to use it :blink:lol

Also thanks to Angus, Feral and everyone else involved in organising another successful event.

Baroon is a fantastic spot and it would be great to get to spend some time figuring it out.

Here's a few snaps from the day. [img size=375]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Andrewbass.jpg

pcsolutionman wrote:

great turn out lads, good to see it didnt rain all day, Where did most of the fish come from?

Lee

Eggs:laugh:

Kidding, I think a lot were taken trolling deep divers in the deeper water but a few of the more experienced anglers got a fair few up in the shallows. From what I heard most people got onto the majority of their fish before 7am then fish still came but less frequently.

Tom and anthonys day at baroon!!

well only 2 fish boated between the two of us going about 30cm to the fork each but what a great place!

we hit the dam about 5:45 to see everyone (exept angus haha) at the ramp set up my hobie (only one there without a viking) and anth got his yak from alex and we were set. since we hd never fished for bass before i didnt have a clue what to do so sorta followed people around to the other side of the dam when i started using a Cultiva Zip'n'Ziggy about 4th cast i had a surface strike but failed to hook up "shoot" i was pretty pumped after that.

anth was using a berkley frenzy that we had got in our BRC bag of goodies (thnaks AFO) and he hooked in his first ever cast fishign for bass.

Quote anthony before his cast "so how do you fish for bass tom"

Tom says: "i dont know good question"

Anth says: "oh dont worry im on"

WHAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH

first ever cast and he gets a legal bass!! woooo

after that didnt get a touch until lunch. i must have tried 10 different lures different retrieves different areas but realistically i didnt have a clue what i was doing as to where to find a bass.

had an awesome lunch and got a few pics with the "Baroon Bashers" after lunch everyone sorta started to leave. helped alex pack up his viking kayaks. then i made the decision to keep fishing for 45mins well didnt get anything exept a few strikes and follows until about 50m from the bank where i hooked into my first bass on lure and my first fish on my new stradic 1000.

YYYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

i couldnt believe how hard it fought compared to the other fish i target took my a good 5 mins to boat it had me in weed at one point i got it out it took another 10metres of line. wooooo

he went about 30-33cm maybe (forgot to measure) i have a pic on my phone but i dont have a USB cable.

SOOOO.

anthonys fish: FIRST CAST = 5:50-6:00AM

Toms Fish: LAST CAST = 3:00PM

so the 9 hours in between i could have been sleeping. LOL

but i had an awesome day out on the water and am glad i went and will definetly be going bass fishing again.

thanks to everyone that came and helped put it together.

Cheers

Tom

The old furts rolled up a bit late as one of our stalwarts had a few too many wines last night and fell over and cracked a few ribs.

We trilled over to the other side of the dam with a couple of touches but no hook ups.Ended up in the middle of a weed bed and whilst Graham was deweeding his lure I chucked out a spinner bait and got our first fish of the day , a small bass of around 32cm.

We then drifted just off the weed bed so that Graham could bait fish and I continued throwing the spinner and a sammy.

Graham got a couple of unders between 20 to 30cms.

We then started to move around a bit casting spinners and poppers to the edges. I got a spangled that was almost the same size as the sammy.

Kept on ,oving and ended up near the no go zone where graham got the best fish of the day on a spinner. 35cms.

Got a phone call to say that everyone was eating so he headed back. I threw out a purple deep diver and scored a few fish around 25 on the troll.

Great day and nice to meet new faces even though I didnt get to meet everyone.

Cheers

Ray

First photo part of the yak flotilla heading off into the drizzle. [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/P1010864_AFO-f04333004487e00947db719eb0d396de.jpg

post-230-14459844288_thumb.jpg

thats alright mate im sure ther will be another oppurtunity soon.

i am keen to go breaming next weekend if i have nothing on maybe nudgee creek or boggy creek maybe i dunno if itll produce but could give it a good go.

your more than welcome to come if you want to.

im gonna see if tim and callum wanna come so maybe we get a few people and try somewhere.

fishyman wrote:

awesome closer to the weekend ill put a post up.

can i just say how good to bass fight. i think im gonna have to become a bream and bass fisherman :D :D :D :D :D

im pumped....can u tell?? :P :P

I got my bass on my 10-17lb TD Advantage.... I was still in two minds whether I had weed or a fish until I saw it next to the boat. Unfortunately you need a pretty heavy rod to handle those 8M Divers.

I was using my ultra light setup too for casting and was a little disappointed I didn't get to feel a Bass on it and get a more sporty fight. There'll be a next time though for sure.

Dan23 wrote:

fishyman wrote:
awesome closer to the weekend ill put a post up.

can i just say how good to bass fight. i think im gonna have to become a bream and bass fisherman :D :D :D :D :D

im pumped....can u tell?? :P :P

I got my bass on my 10-17lb TD Advantage.... I was still in two minds whether I had weed or a fish until I saw it next to the boat. Unfortunately you need a pretty heavy rod to handle those 8M Divers.

I was using my ultra light setup too for casting and was a little disappointed I didn't get to feel a Bass on it and get a more sporty fight. There'll be a next time though for sure.

i was havign a look at those exact rods in tackleworld on saturday. they feel really nice.

i was using my 1-2kg bream stick with my new Stradic 1000 with 6lb sunline PE. best fight ive had from a fish in a while. i could only imagine catching a 50cm specimen.

I awoke in the wee hours of Sunday morning to the sound of rain belting down. In normal circumstances I would be happy to hear some decent precipitation as our garden and the dams certainly need it, but after weeks of building anticipation and preparation, I was not happy :angry:

I drifted into fitful slumber once more in the hope that it was just an isolated shower, and that it would all be clear for our first attempt at fishing Baroon.

The alarm want off, and once again I hear rain. Bugger.

Oh well, the boat is already hitched, the car is packed and we are going anyway dammit!:unsure:

Kath (not a morning person:blush: ) slowly makes her way to the car, doing amazingly well to get ready in a semi-comatose condition. Outside we find quite a bit of water in the tinny from the nights' showers, but after a tilt up, drain and rehitch and we are off.

As we headed up the highway, and the effects of the caffeine kick in, we optimistically suggest that surely we will be greeted by blue skies at our destiniation, after all, it is at the Sunshine Coast!B)

Those thoughts echoing in my mind, the closer we got to Montville, the heavier the rain became, and we console ourselves with the thought that at least we gave it a shot.

Arriving at the dam we were greeted by lots of parked cars and no-one warning us off the water:woohoo: .

Braving the still teeming rain, we get the boat all set up and prepare for launch.

This was to be a day of firsts for us, we were using a whole heap of gear for the first time. This included: Electric motor, Sounder & batteries for both. Hopeful that all would go well and comforted by the fact that somewhere out there were our fellow AFO members in case of emergency, we set off.

It was hard to know where had the most water...in the dam? falling from the heavens? or pooling in the floor of our tinny:huh:

Eventually (after bailing out twice) we got a break in the weather, it was no longer pouring, just raining steadily, so we set some rods up for trolling and got into the serious business of catching us a bass.

We headed for the large water tower to the far left of the ramp. The sounder and motor were both performing well, and about 2/3 of the way to our target we got our first for the day. It was only a small bass, but somehow (in my mind at least) it vindicated all the planning, spending and effort.

Our first bass caught from our own boat, on our first trip to a new location, we were wet, but happy.

Our morning was spent mainly trolling, there were plenty of fish showing on the sounder and we managed to boat 11 for the morning, all on the troll with the exception of one feisty little critter that smacked Kath's spinnerbait when we stopped to have a cast at a likely looking inlet.

Lure of the day was once again the Strike King diver that performed so well at Hinze recently. The other lure that took fish was the 8m+ RMG Poltergeist we bought especially for the trip. Kath lost her spinnerbait to a snag, and after catching her PB at Hinze on it and more success today, it will be much missed.

It was good to see so many intrepid souls made the effort to fish Baroon today. Sorry we didn't get to meet everyone... next time. Thanks to all who organised and provided lunch, much appreciated.

Some photos to follow, thanks for reading;)

Rocket and Kath.
/>http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii225/rocket75v/baroon010.jpg

baroon008.jpg

baroon005.jpg

baroon001.jpg

Archived