Lets go Kayak off Bribie

username_taken

yeah, you can launch in some big stuff, its the chop that's the real problem, don't want to have to constantly navigate your way through when you're trying to drift or paddle around in the bay lol.

Na lets hope it clears up, and we get some good weather for those fish:) That way we get a nice enjoyable days fishing

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't mean to state the obvious, but you know this launch is in the dark, through the surf, into an onshore wind.

Point of note, if you see a bunch of light sticks hanging around the entrace to the beach, please leave them alone, they will be mine.:P

See you tommrow

Alex

Faulked: that would depend on what hatches are available on the yaks. I will be storing everything in the hull.

Edit:

I've started (didn't have this for all trays at baroon) but I've started to just take tackle trays, leave the bags behind and just throw them in the hull. pretty messy, but I have a big front hull region, so meh. And it's really easy to get to, hell on dams I can easily access the rear rudder, or sit in front of my triple mounts.

Not sure about tomorrow though

Moreton Bay Waters:

Saturday until midnight: SE winds 20/25 knots. Seas to 1.3 metres in the western bay. Scattered showers.

Sunday: SE winds 20/25 knots. Highest seas to 1.3 metres in the western bay. Scattered showers.

Monday: SE winds 20/25 knots.

Tuesday: SE winds 20/25 knots.

lol well the weather is bad to say the least but ill still brave the conditions i'm sure to regret it i'll be there at 430 and please ppl dont take anything you want to keep :laugh: you will lose alot im taking my olympus digital and im sure ill be asking a few of you guys to help look for it on the bottom of the sea later lol..:dry:

I'm not leaving anything at home because of the conditions:) Confused, that's why I have said multiple times in this thread that it's best to have everything in a hatch during launch and reentry.

IMO the conditions will be a LOT different to what it looks like in the vid link that ellicat provided. I could be very wrong though.

Honestly, I think we should all just rock up, not worry about the weather and just paddle out and have some fun fishing. I know I will!

Another thing very quickly guys: Don't be afraid to bring a spare shirt or shorts.

I know I'll be packing a towel or two and a spare set of clothing. I might even row out in just boardies. That way if I get wet going out, I can dry up and have a dry shirt to put on, and then have a spare set of clothing for afterwards :)

i just want to confirm that I am bringing kayaks 'fishyman', 'faulked' and possibly Keith, and Tery you don't need one anymore,

I am bringing up with me a lifejacket for Tom to buy, and the rest of you will be bringing your own.

The Profish I am bringing with me will have big centre hatches to keep things contained in the the center well but may not be fully waterproof.

Paddle leachs would be a good idea.

Alex

Alex wrote:

i just want to confirm that I am bringing kayaks 'fishyman', 'faulked' and possibly Keith, and Tery you don't need one anymore,

I am bringing up with me a lifejacket for Tom to buy, and the rest of you will be bringing your own.

Alex

Thanks alot for this Alex i appreciate the lengths you are going to for us.

so thank you very much

Tom

Don't ring me for directions, I'm just going to wing it.

I've been there before (following Jordan) but didn't take note of any names of streets. Just going to go on visual memory:P

Fishyman: yes that's the one mate. sounds familiar, it's a carpark about 50m back off the beach with a sand track to the beach.

Just thought I would pen a brief run down on surf launches for beginners. Coming back in is a different story, pray you don't come back in, in the dark.

First go down and watch it for at least 5 mins, or in this case listen to it. Watch to see if there are any bigger 'sets' of waves breaking, and how many waves to a set, where they are breaking, on the beach or further out?

Are there places further along the beach where the surf is smaller or breaking different allowing an easier entry, SOME rips are actually your best friend in this situation.

If you decide to go, that it is an accepitable risk to take, take your fully prepared kayak to the waters edge and wait for a 'lull'. Time it right you may not get too wet, time it wrong and you may catch the rouge set that dumps you back on to the beach or rolls you and its concequences.

When you go for it, COMMIT. Don't hesitate, paddle straight out as hard as you can. You always need to hit any on coming wave straight on the nose, if you hit it on an angle it may swing the nose around and roll you. You must hit it at speed, no speed, gurantee roll.

Don't stop paddling until you feel you are past the braekers, then paddle more just to make sure.

Make no mistake this can be dangerous, I have seen a mate with 3 broken ribs from a medium surf launch, after he rolled and got dumped.

This is a guide only to surf launches, obvoiusly practicing without fishing gear is the best confidence builder if you wnat to make this a habit.

See you all in the morning.

Alex

Yes. 20-25 is strong. The fishing for snapper will (if you want) most likely be drifting. Paddle to a spot, drift up, then paddle back.

I'm not sure how far the drift is - hopefully lee can point that out to me ( I rememer we just paddled 100m up and drifted down to the beacon last time with Jordan )

Edit: Angus I know what you mean mate. Cleaned up the yard today, took 180kg of green waste to the tip..

But yeah, I'm always super alert on the way there, even after 2 hours sleep.

As soon as I jump in the car to go home... hmm gotta work hard to stay alert. make a stop or two as needed.

Edit 2: Ah well cars packed, reels are spinning smoothly, I assume the snapper lines have leaders... scrap that I'll put heavier leaders on them in the morning. flick stick is ready to go, as is the baitcaster.

4 Rods! GPS unit! (no mount yet - going to have to clip it down with lan yard etc) Mount is enroute from the states, placed my order for the Garmin 300C - next week will be like christmas again!

Man can't wait... This trip is going to be strange, Everythings ready to go and it's only 6:30..... the night before! haha I'll be able to get some sleep this time, instead of 2 hours? I had before baroon

Archived