Nessy in NPD???????

Burko

went for a fish at bullocky's at around 5.30am the other morning and saw on two occasions something break the surface. It was the back of a large dark fish moving slowly and just coming up and down like a whale would. It was quite large gauging against the black swans swimming nearby the body of a swan was only about twice the size of the protruding part of the fish(?). It had one rather thick pointed fin and it was quite wide and round. (imagine a humpback breaking the surface and that is what i saw only in miniature.) I thought maybe a lungy but they have a straight back not rounded like this thing.

Any ideas?

Has anyone seen similar and been too afraid to tell someone?

Am I going mad?:silly: :blink: :S :side: :ohmy:

madmax wrote:

Heard a story that three is some big sharks in the dam, that is why swimming is banned. id say u saw a big bronzy chasna feed of bass.

I don’t know whether you’re serious or not? :dry: But bronze whalers can’t live in fresh water.

Joel ;)

Dinodadog wrote:

I would say its a lungfish rolling and taking a breath at the same time, or at the extreme a

carp. When all the tillies died from the cold recently I found a 25lb carp washed up on the bank, there is a pic somewhere in the prev posts.

+1 Yep I agree old mate...

... but if it is nessy, its my first excuse for never being able to catch a stupid bass in there:laugh:

Our native Lungfish are unique in that they only have one lung, other lungfish around the world have two. The lung allows this fish to survive in conditions when oxygen levels in the water are low. They will also during periods of exertion rise and take a breath to supplement the oxygen gathered by their gills. It also allows survival when water conditions distrupt effective use of gills.

They can grow to around 1.5m normally about 1m though.

When the buggers exhale near you and you're not expecting it, it can scare the crap out of you. Just a reminder though they are a protected species and rightly so.

The lungfish in the Pine region were stocked into the area around the beginning of the last century. Normally from the Mary/Burnett Region.B)

i was waterskiing in somerset a few years ago and one of those damn things came up about 5m away from me sitting in the water. scared the crapper out of me. only expect that noise from turtles around mud and green in the middle of the night!!! they are an awesome fish though - comletely unique.

I have seen lungies come up for air near me before, big head comes out of the water like a turtle and then a big slurp. (new undies please). But these things were jst rolling on the surface like a whale or dolphin does when up for air. and they had a peaked dorsal fin not like a lungy with a eel like tail.

looked like this. [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/dorsal.jpg

post-2103-144598447025_thumb.jpg

Burko wrote:

I have seen lungies come up for air near me before, big head comes out of the water like a turtle and then a big slurp. (new undies please). But these things were jst rolling on the surface like a whale or dolphin does when up for air. and they had a peaked dorsal fin not like a lungy with a eel like tail.

looked like this. [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/dorsal.jpg

Dino might be right about the carp...

i saw a big flathead in the shallows yesterday so i crept up on it flicking lures at it trying not to spook it and eventually you know what i landed that bloody stick tricks of the light can do amazing things maybe it was a swan,yowie,toga,lungfish,too many beers ,shark lol

Angus wrote:

Sorry this thread has deviated from being taken seriously!!

Mate what you describe is a tough one and if its not a lung fish I am stumped.

What about a large toga? Its not impossible. And that would explain the fin?

Angus

possibly a very large toga but i'm thinking more along the lines of big bass or carp. it was a fair way off but it had a fattish profile and would have to have been easy 60cm + if it was either.

other suggestion, anyone know if barra have been stocked in there. reports suggest that the midnight stocking brigade let some go in kurwongbah, why not npd.

Archived