Highest Quality Mono??

Dan23

I'm getting a new reel tomorrow and I want to put some 12lb mono on the spare spool for fishing off rock walls.

Just wondering what the very best quality lines are? Price really isn't a consideration as I can't imagine it will be that expensive compared to the $60 per 150M I pay for braid. I want the best available.

Thanks

Actually Jarvis walker wouldn't be too bad for that fishing application. I would assume fishing off the rocks you would want some good abbrasion resistance, which (generally speaking) the thicker monos can offer more of than the finer stuff.

That said I wouldn't get jarvis walker, probably some platypus.

fishyman wrote:

pinkey wrote:
its good stuff.

BAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH

i bought some 6lb to use a BACKING and even though you never see/ use backing i still dont use it cause its shit

thats not the way to talk about jarvis walker tom.. its caught me many a catfish

I use it in the brisbane river (apart from right at the mouth) while breaming as leader. Works a treat. No point using $20 per 100m fluro in the river where the fish cant see 6lb jarvis walker 1.4km for $4. I save my fluro for places like the tweed, sandon, sunny and gold coast.

Dan23 wrote:

I'll mainly be fishing at the brunswick heads breakwall for big fish on slugs, big plastics, big diving minnows and maybe whole pillies.

as in msn, check out yo zuri hybrid ultra soft. haha just incase anyone other than dan is interested as he has already heard that lol

Dan23 wrote:

I'll mainly be fishing at the brunswick heads breakwall for big fish on slugs, big plastics, big diving minnows and maybe whole pillies.

Targeting greenbacks, jew and the odd tuna or mack none of which play very dirty I'd be going plain old 6kg (12lb) platypus platinum. It's not expensive, it just works. :blink:

pinkey wrote:

I use it in the brisbane river (apart from right at the mouth) while breaming as leader. Works a treat. No point using $20 per 100m fluro in the river where the fish cant see 6lb jarvis walker 1.4km for $4. I save my fluro for places like the tweed, sandon, sunny and gold coast.

Ha ha thats a fair call Pinkey. I get carried away with line sometimes. Where I fish in the river there is a crab pot and toilet seat which you can see at low tide right up against the rockwall and when the water covers them they're invisible. I guess I could probably use a piece of rope for invisibility if needed.

I also have to admit to using mustad 10* because I could get it at BigW in the city...(of course you can get the spools of 3mile JW as well - I have a couple for backing my alvey 650c and for irritating my wife with "yet more line I don't care how much it costs...")...:dry:

Dan23 wrote:

Just wondering what the very best quality lines are? Price really isn't a consideration as I can't imagine it will be that expensive compared to the $60 per 150M I pay for braid. I want the best available.

Thanks

I wouldn't bet on that Dan!

High end mono is pretty hexy. Platypus low stretch or platinum if you have lots of cash ($35 to 40), otherwise I prefer daiwa, nice and thin and very good value for money, about $15 a spool.

If you want a top quality tri-polymer mono go for Platypus Super 100. Very fine diameter for any given breaking strain. Knots well & limited stretch, low vis' clear line.

Best lure fishing mono I've used is Platypus Low Stretch. The name says it all. Almost as much situation awareness as when using braid.

Best of all, both of these lines are made right here in Brissie so your fishing dollar helps support the Aussie economy & keeps a local in a job.

Shop with a conscience!

Thanks for the replies guys. I have tried that platypus low stretch and to be honest I didn't like it. I think it'd be fine on a BC but it was too stiff for spinning and like some flurocarbons, it tended to jump off the reel a bit. I'll check out the Platypus Super 100 though. :)

mate if you are going to fish the breakwall i'd be looking for abrasion resistance have a look at stren heavy cover

i think those comments about trilene are for ultra light fishing

i've used trilene for 6kg and 10 kg spinning for years and have not fround it to be stiff at all

caught hundreds of tuna on it

Archived