Fish and Aquarium Auction

PeterJ

Hey Kriso,

Try checking these forums out... They are queensland based aquarium forums, which I have long been a member of and have learnt a great deal from.

/>http://www.qah.org.au/

/>http://qldaf.com/index.php

They not only offer great information, but also have a classifieds section, where you can buy direct from breeders and aquarium owners.

Hopefully they can be of use.

-Nelson-

kriso wrote:

as someone interested in maybe setting up a aquarium besides the tank and stand ( i plan on 6ft setup) to make a saltwater aquarium setup with living coral and stuff any one got any ideas on cost for this stuff and what i would need.

Hey mate,

Check out www.masa.asn.au

Its the Marine Aquarium Societies of Australia "reefing the Autralian way". Great site for local knowledge. Each different state is represented, with a great representation from QLD. Reviews on products, methods, shops (online and shopfront) and research are all here, without the BS of sites like reefinglife.com (massive USA based forum). Some AWESOME tanks that people have made journals for as well to learn from. Have a look at Tone's tank. I've seen it in real life and its jawdropping :woohoo: 10x3x3 i think. But everyone there is generally pretty willing to help and pretty nice.

Mate for a cost, it all depends on how hardcore you want to get into it. But for a 6 foot, including corals and fish I'd start budgeting at the low end of around $2-4k.

When you factor in tank, stand, sump (better than canister filter), piping, DSB, >40kg live rock ($12-$24p/kg), skimmer (for that size, you're looking at around $300 to $1000), Lights (some do it with compact fluros, others with Metal Halides), salt water (around $100 for 1000L delivered) and a test kit (~$100 for a good one). And that is only the basics.

If you start getting into reductors and reactors, timers, meters, auto-top ups...etc. Its INSANE. You're gonna have issues like me where you'll be trying to balance fishing expenses with fish tank expenses.

Anyway, if you want more info, let me know. I could bore everyone to death about this stuff.:)B)

hahah. Yeah the glass is the same stuff, its just the overflow/weir that you wanna have installed at the same time for marine tanks. They will have the extra glass professionally glued in, and holes drilled into your tank for you. No need to stress about potentially cracking the glass yourself.

And humungous price?? yep. you can get 22mm starfire glass, and it'll cost you around $4k for a basic 5 or 6 foot tank.

• 1 month later...

Archived