Juvenile Marlin

Cowfish13

Hahahaha.

I catch a lot of them on bread at Colleges crossing....

Or are they Gar? :P :P

But in all seriousness no idea!

I cant remember what forum it was but I have seen a photo of a sub meter one before though.

I wonder what size they are when born?

Despite their size full grown you would think like most fish they would begin life pretty miget right?

Angus

I found this on a website ...

Black marlin can be found in almost any depth of water. Young juveniles are often found in shallow waters of the continental shelf (as shallow as 5m in Harvey Bay, Qld.). Juveniles have been caught on the north Australian shelf as far east as the Wessel Is. (137oE). Black marlin are present in the western Gulf of Carpentaria to south of Groote Eylandt but their presence has not been confirmed in the eastern Gulf. There are authenticated reports of black marlin in the Torres Straits but these are believed to indicate only occasional occurrences of these fish in that strait and not regular migrations in numbers from the Pacific to the Indian Ocean or vice-versa. They are not usually found south of Mallacoota in Victoria or Albany in W.A.

Angus wrote:

Hahahaha.

I catch a lot of them on bread at Colleges crossing....

Or are they Gar? :P :P

But in all seriousness no idea!

I cant remember what forum it was but I have seen a photo of a sub meter one before though.

I wonder what size they are when born?

Despite their size full grown you would think like most fish they would begin life pretty miget right?

Angus

I would guess that the marlin larvae would be the same size as any other species of fish

In one of David Attenborough's DVD series they show a short clip on baby marlin. If I remember correctly they actually showed 5 or 6 schooling together. They were found out in the middle of the ocean swimming around. I think they were around 10cm.

I'll try and find the clip tonight.

he is - so much more than a narrator. the amount of random crap i know about animals and stuff pales in comparison. i'd love his job just to go to some of the places he has gone. i have many of his dvd's, planet earth, blue planet, life of birds, life of mammals, living planet... and a few others i can't think of.

and to keep with the thread he does do a lot on billfish throughout his dvd's, the footage of a sailfish feeding and constantly changing colours on the blue planet is fantastic. particularly in HD... :P

• 2 weeks later...

Archived