Up the creek 180408

Rocket75

I headed out this morning to troll and throw lures at Cabbage Tree Creek. When I got out of bed, it wasn't raining, so I took this as a good sign and headed off just after dawn.

The first fish (a pike) slammed one of my new bargain bin storm lures about 30m from the ramp. Just a pike I know, but a promising start.

This was followed by a small whiting and a little tailor, both on a Rapala Glass Shad (go the bargain bin buys!).

I went for a long troll out to the mouth and got nothing, so I headed back to the site of my original success and trolled up a nice little flatty that went hard on 4lb. Go the storm lure!

Trolled my way back up the creek to hit some deeper holes, but on the way my lures got tangled. Drifting aimlessly whilst untangling, I ended up in a little side creek that was well and truely flooded with the high tide. Untangled at last, I cast my new favourite lure (storm) into the mangroves lining the creek.

Congratulating myself on the great cast and thinking that the textbooks would say there would be a fish hanging there, I almost wet myself when it got smashed on the first wind and after a short fight I've got me a legal bream:woohoo:

Whilst releasing him, I drifted further into the scrub, so I used my paddles to extracate myself. Ignoring paddles and branches I rode my luck and cast into a another mangrove, similar cast, same result:woohoo: .

50 casts later with a couple of swipes but no more hookups I set off for some more trolling.

I added an active little tailor to the catch list for my new favorite lure and cast my arms off with SPs (whilst getting drenched) for no fish.

Changed up lures on the way home just for fun and hooked up one of those tripod toad fish just near the ramp.

Photos to follow (if I've used photobucket properly)

Thanks for reading.

CabbageTree180408013.jpg

CabbageTree180408008.jpg

CabbageTree180408010.jpg

CabbageTree180408011.jpg

CabbageTree180408012.jpg

looks like you had fun rocket on your trawl up cabbage tree near the last trawler @ the shorncliff end did you notice a solo fisho i was there this morning and that boat looks familar ps i left just b4 the rain came (ps) all i caught was a monster toad fish bout 50 cm and a whitting , il piggy back an your post [img size=267]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/toad_3.jpg

post-829-144598454177_thumb.jpg

Great report Rod and pics to match.

I too ventured out today as it was not raining when I left. Ended up tucked right up on north side of Crusoe Island and just pulled in flattie after flattie and all on 3" grub in pumpkinseed. Nothing else got a look at, even same grubs in watermelon and lime tiger.

Kept 1 flathead at 38cm for dinner with some chunky cut chips!

Archived