18th April - Spot X has done it again and again ;)

Jeryl

I started at Manly at around 9 for eging, weather was good wasn't too windy and water was clear, only got 1 about the size of the palm so i just put it back, them meet up Andy at newstead around 11ish, Andy has a good start with a couple of 25-27 bream in the first half an hour on prawn and i was using evil minnow wriggler, got some nice pulls but none hooked :dry: then we moved to our spot X around 1, andy has got the threaddie set up done before we head to the spot, that was a wise decision to make because they were everywhere jumping out the water hunting little mullet! Andy quickly put on a Yo Zuri popper (which got from me :laugh: ) then had his first cast when i was doing my setup, 5 seconds later all i heard was an explodsion on the surface but the fish missed the hook, then next cast, pop pop pop BANG it was a bigger threaddie took it and this time he's on! the reel went screaming and rod bended like it was gonna break...but andy got the skill to handle it well and try to pull it out from the structure, there was a couple time the fish was on the surface i assumed it was nearly 80cm mark, however after a 20 mins fight it was around the structure again and that was too rough on 4lb braid, snapped :(

then it was my turn, i was flipping my tackle box see anything like the mullet, ahun and i tied on a Stiffy Minnow silver bullet colour, cast it as far as i can and switching it back, i felt something took it so softly and i strike, and i can instantly feel the weight and here it goeeeeeesssss...it was a smart fish it fought with its weight and made me hard to retrieve it, kept fighting for about 20 mins and i realised that it wasn't a threaddie but a big fat JEW!! YEAH my first jew this time and andy helped me with the landing net B)

Photo00036.jpg

Photo00038.jpg

Photo00037.jpg

after the big fight my arms were nearly dead, after a little break then i cast it to the same spot again and 3 sec later i'm on again and this time was a threadie, it took bit less time for me to land this one coz it wasn't very big, measured about 60cm. The trebles on the Stiffy were totally out of shape then. Andy was still playing with the popper and we saw them came up and look at it but no takes, then i gave him a Rapala Countdown 3, he tied it on and first cast, bangg he's on again, landed and measured about 65ish and the night went on and Andy got one small one later on. We decided to call it a night with the 3 fish in the bag weight around 12KG in total :laugh: one of the best night ever!!

The Jew measured and weighted 75cm and exactly 5kg.

Tackle used:

Andy: Rack Raider 6'8, fream kix 2000 spooled with 4lb fireline, 12 vanish leader, Yo zuri popper and Rapala CD3.

Me: Tcurve XL 7'0, Luvias 2004 spooled with 3lb crystal, 10 vanish leader, Stiffy minnow. Bassday backfire popper.

There are spots that have that sort of potential in the middle brisbane river, well defenetly for threadfin atleast, dunno about jew. But there all night spots. On one report from another site a couple of blokes went out in boat at night in the midd river and got 10 threadfin all on lures in a couple of hours. Brissy river for life!

Malcolm wrote:

kevinchen19870316 wrote:
malcolm, ur best bet's to fish the river exclusively from toowong down to pinkenba for a month, then u'll find some of ur own spot Xs

Yeah mate i'm just stirring the pot

Cmon mal you already know where spot X is.

Its the second bar stool from the right end of the Bar at the pinkenbah hotel.

Archived