Targeting Flathead

EMP

Yeap, and don't be afraid to use a heavy jighead of 1/8oz to 1/4oz or heavier if the current is strong enough (with an appropriate sized hook matching the chosen plastic). When going for Flathead with plastics, it's good to have the lure banging into the bottom, or when using a hardbody, having the bib dig into the sand, throwing up a cloud of sand attracting Flathead in the process:)

When bait fishing, I've only ever really fluked them on a prawn, but a lot of people like to use live baits (like Herring and Mullet) with good success.

Good areas to target flatties are sandbanks that have good drop offs say 0.5m down to 2.5m and the best place to work your lure is either up or down the drop off itself. Also another really good spot is on the sand or mud next to the base of a rockwall or similar structure. Usually if you fish directly on the rocks you'll catch bream or cod or most likely get snagged if your're using a plastic.

hope this helps

Jack

Cowfish13 wrote:

Yeap, and don't be afraid to use a heavy jighead of 1/8oz to 1/4oz or heavier if the current is strong enough (with an appropriate sized hook matching the chosen plastic). When going for Flathead with plastics, it's good to have the lure banging into the bottom, or when using a hardbody, having the bib dig into the sand, throwing up a cloud of sand attracting Flathead in the process:)

When bait fishing, I've only ever really fluked them on a prawn, but a lot of people like to use live baits (like Herring and Mullet) with good success.

For ages I used to think 1/8oz was a light jighead ... probably explains why it took so long for me to catch a bream on SP :D

1, keep ur lure down close to the bottom

2, jerk jerk and jerk!

3, let the lure sink to the bottom or at least close to the bottom b4 the next jerk!

4, go slow with plenty of twitches if ur using HB.

5, fish sandie bottom with plenty of rocks and weeds near by/in amoung.

6, never lost interest if no hits, they will hit one day if ur doing it right then u'll keep catching them non stop!

Archived