Glenlyon 18th May 2008.

Schultzy

Had a social gathering to attend in the Bonshaw area on the weekend so towed the boat down to fish Glenlyon on the way past. We managed to get away a little earlier than expected so had time for an hour on the water before dark on Friday afternoon. One hour trolling with the big cod lures produced one strike for Tony who subsequently landed a very hungry little junior cod.

Back on Sunday at lunchtime we were not too happy about being hit with an icy 30 knot southerly blow. The wind made it hard to steer the boat at troll speed but we persisted for a couple of hours before the clock insisted it was time to leave. I managed to land a small fish on my giant red cedar Boomerang not long after we started fishing and Tony got another one an hour later. We were happy enough with the results considering the horrible weather. It was uncomfortably cold taking the big coat and beanie off for the grip and grin shots. :S

Total fishing time on the lake was just 3 1/2 hours for three small cod landed. [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/GL_7471_afo.jpg

Sunset on Friday afternoon. If only the weather had been like this on Sunday.

post-108-144598458424_thumb.jpg

Good work there Neil & Tony, good to see some nice cod pulled out of Glenlyon in a relatively short session. That little fella must have been brave, but nowhere near as brave as you two! Growing up out that way I can only sit here shivering when I think about how cold it must have been on Glenlyon on Sunday!

Cheers,

Matt

mangler wrote:

Growing up out that way I can only sit here shivering when I think about how cold it must have been on Glenlyon on Sunday!

Cheers,

Matt

Matt, Even the locals were rugged up on Sunday, fishing in beanies and Ugh boots. Some even had towels wrapped around their faces when zooming to try to beat the wind chill factor.

Apparently they had 2 inches of snow at Guyra on Sunday morning. It certainly felt like it on the water.

Shultzy, yeah you sure know it's cold when the locals rug up to that extent! As for Guyra I heard the same thing from the folks, there sure are some cold places around there, my folks got their first frost for the year in March (albeit a small one). And another time about 18 months ago I was listening to ABC radio here in Bris, only to here them interviewing my Brother back home about the light snowfalls that had fallen that morning, and that was in November!!!

Still can't beat a day fishing, even if it is a day like that, just gotta work a bit harder for the fish, but it is a whole lot more rewarding when you finally get one, or three!

Cheers,

Matt

Schultzy how did that treble fit in that small cods mouth?? :ohmy: that one hook of the treble looks huge for the cod, certainly was a hungry little fella.

Good results considering the weather, any cods better than none.

Don't let Jimmybob see this thread :laugh:

makes me want to go chase some more cod in the yak ;)

Top result schultzy :) I'd love to see you land some cod in your yaks:)

Schultzy wrote:

Brian, Is that enough proof for you? ;)

Not the size we were hoping for but all green fish are impressive.

Yeap that will do, I don't mind that you catchig that size cause I know you throw then back for me to catch next time. :)

arrr but did you donate any rod & reels to the bottom. :blush:

I opened the thread thinking someone was planning a trip, then I realised it was a report, not that I am running behind the calender by much. :S

TerryH wrote:

how did that treble fit in that small cods mouth?? :ohmy: that one hook of the treble looks huge for the cod

Terry that little cod was unlucky to get hooked. Only one point of the treble went in his mouth. I wasn't too sure I even had a fish when he first grabbed that big lure. I've seen that yellow monster lure catch a lot of cod on Dad's line so was pretty happy when he told me I could use it at Glenlyon.

On Sunday we couldn't fish our favourite spots because of the wind. I would have given up and packed up and left if I had been driving the boat. After about an hour of struggling in the wind Dad just moved around to a bay that wasn't as windy and caught a cod within about 10 minutes. He looked at the bank (that I thought looked no good) and had just said that country like that produces fish in Leslie, then he hooked up. I got mine an hour later then we were out of time and had to leave.

Dad jokes that I've been blessed by the fishing gods but he seems to have "the touch":side: I've seen him work really hard and end up getting fish when others on the water have gone without.

Stinger wrote:

Is the lure shown in the first photo a flat fish.

That coloured in a smaller flat fish has produced the goods for me when trolling for trout at the Great Lake in Tasmania.

No, that is a hand carved red cedar lure by Kevin Clark. It is basically a 120mm Boomerang specially designed for cod.

It is fitted with stainless screw eyes, huge split rings and 3/0 trebles to cope with any monster cod encountered. Kev painted it to match the old yellow Flatfish pattern though.

The one in the second photo is another similar model with a slightly narrower body, painted in the old brown & yellow original Boomerang colour.

Stinger,

Flatfish have such a wild action that the bass would certainly take them when in the right mood. Passive fish might prefer something more subtle. The drawback with Flatfish for use in lakes is their relatively shallow running depth, especially for winter schooling bass.

No doubt that river fish would nail them though.

But...there are so many good Aussie made bass lures around why not use them.

Come on Aussie.:cheer:

Thanks for the reply shultzy.

I do use aussie lures but seeing as I have the flatfish in my collection from my trout fishing days in Tas I thought I may as well try them out.

We use to use lead antikinks to get some depth in the deaper lakes but I haven't been able to find them for years now.

I might try another technique of using a barrel sinker above a swivel.

Could always fit a downrigger or use lead line but that all comes at a cost.

Archived