NPD: 31/05/08 Bullocky's Rest

Terry H

North Pine Dam, 31 May 2008

Bullocky's Rest

Well....

Got to Bullocky's rest around 6am, to see lee just go there and Tom had been there for a little while I assume. it wasn't too much later that the good ol' chubb security :angry: I'll never forget the time they locked us in the park at the junction.... :angry: came to open the gates and let the hoard of people in to NPD

Well, all 3 of us drove in and jumped out into warm weather and started to flick a few lures around. Lee and I started with a buzz bait, Tom with some weird rig that consisted of gang hooks, a tiny amount of skirt and there might have even been a blade in there for an extra bit of fanciness.... Not really, just a spinner with a long skirt and 2 stinger hooks on.

No action was seen for a while, nothing on the surface so I switched to my remaining jackall, one that I think is a very hot colour.

It wasn't long thne until bam! Tom's on and manages to bring in a nice small bass. Next in line was Lee, and funnily enough bam! he was on too :laugh:

A while passed, but sure enough, next one along the bank.. me... bang! yep I'm on too haha No real size to these fellas

Anyway, a few more flicks.. bang! Tom's on for his second :)

It didn't take too long and bang! Lee's on :laugh:

of course, I couldn't let the clear chain break, so I had to sneak in a bass too :P 2 all at this stage. We continued flicking around in search of some bigger bass, as the ones we had found were all in the 30s.

After a while I got a bit tired of waiting for tom to catch one so Lee and I could get into them, so Lee and I move a bit further up to a clearin gon the point. We both flick out .... I start to retrieve... bang! yep I'm on.. "Yep I'm on!" I hear from lee.. Nice, we're standing withing 2m of one another, with a double hook up :D I manage to bring mine in - a nice 40 something cm fish, can't remembe rif lee got his in or not... grass might have done him That's about all I can remember in the whole sequence of events, what happened over the next short while was:

Lee and I caught a fewm ore fish from this point, around the high 30s, low 40s region

Lee was hooked up and brought a fish in through the grass when PING OMG line broke!

But wait, I can see the leader in the water! I drop my rod on the ground and quickly move in to the water, almost nads height to grab the leader. Score! fish is still on it :laugh: I handline a fish in :P :laugh: ok - didn't count this to my tally, that's another to lee:)

I continued to flick around and pick up a few more bass from this area, and we slowly started to move on

Lee flicked out and PING! there goes a lure and the line snapped again. Jesus lee, what's going on?

Anyway, lee ties on another leader knot while I continue to catch another bass or two. Pretty sure tom picked up another bass around this time too.

So far score check is somethin like: Lee 3 or 4, Me: 5.... 6.... yep I'm on, 7...

Then I flicked out another cast, rip it up as this had been when some of the fish struck around this area, and clunk. damn that's grass. give it a tug, a few flicks, damn this is solid. grab the line, yep its solid.

So I go for a swim, get out to where the lure is almost, give it a.. WHAT I THOUGHT WAS A GENTLE TUG and ping.. aksdfj;lkjfsd leader broke at the lure... great, just went for a swim to save my last jackall, and freaking lost it.. sigh :blush:

Anwyay, lee hooks up to another bit of grass, and... PING there oges that line again.

Lee mate, wtf is goign on? We flick out a bit of line and I hold it to test the mainline strength because something is really wrong here. It all checks out in that section. By this stage Lee is down to fresh line that has never hit the water before, so no idea what is going on :huh: Lee rigs up again... and after a few more flicks hooks up to a good solid fish.

This one is clearly the biggest of the day, I'd say 50+, seems to be giving lee a bit of stick and.... then nothign :sick: hooks pulled :sick: But hey, at least the line didn't break!

Anyway, a few more flicks out form this area bang! lees on again, gets it to the grass and... haha you guessed it

PING.. LOL

But wait.. the grass is moving where he lost it......

I quickly run out, I'm up to my gonads, leaning over trying to reach into the water and feel for a line... bump bump, oh wait that's the fish :laugh: it shoots off, but is still clearly stuck in the grass I continue to feel around, yep there's the line! Lee manages to pull another fish out of his backside, and the mainline snapped again, well above the leader.

By this stage, we're discussing how $#17 this 10lbs pe castaway is. Snapping randomly along the line as if lee is fishing it too hard. But considering both lee and I can fish 4lbs just as hard (although that's not in an IGFA rated line like PE Castaway is) I fail to see how this is possible.

Few more fish here n there, it quietened down and we headed back towards the starting area and go the other way.

While I'm rigging up after donating another spinnerbait, seems like NPD wants a jackall and ausspin spinner everytime I fish NPD :( Tom hooks up to and lands a nice 48cm yella.

Just after this I had to go home for work, End result: (Correct me if I'm wrong boys:-

Terry: 9 bass, a couple-few 40s, mostly high 30s

Lee: 5 bass?

Tom: 3 bass, 1 yella ?

some select photos to come.

Edit: forgot to mention, lee's line randomly busted about 8 times that I can remember..

I wont be buying PE Castaway for my next rod and reel, that's for sure.

Yeah not impressed at all with the catsaway, when u pay near $70 for line u expect better, not once did the line break at the leader knot it always broke randomly along the line. probly lost 50M of line and lures :(:( not happy.

I ended up getting 2 more bass high 30's after Terry left got them both on an ecogear ck40 Shallow in amongst the grass.

Lee

I wonder if the grass rubbing on the braid is doing it.

2nd last trip there I broke off twice on fish randomly in the line as well. Its 6lb firewire, only about 6 months old. I was only using 6lb leader. Never had it break before.

Feral wrote:

I wonder if the grass rubbing on the braid is doing it.

2nd last trip there I broke off twice on fish randomly in the line as well. Its 6lb firewire, only about 6 months old. I was only using 6lb leader. Never had it break before.

Feral: I don't think so.. if that's the case, don't let that particular line touch anything but water, it might bust you off... :o

Lee broke the mainline tying a leader knot lol, it broke about 1" above the knot....

I dunno, sounds like a very dodgy set of line.

I for one am not a fan of Sunline lines, I have used their Sunline Super PE (green stuff) and got way too many wind knots. Now I've seen Lee use their castaway and have it break randomly... It's one brand of line I'll be steering clear of.

Hi Guys,

Although I didn't manage to get to the dam with the lads today, I felt like I was there given the text messages I was receiving about the Castaway braid. Ya see, it was me that praised this stuff to Lee and it was me feeling guilty at home in the warm.

I called around to Lee's place about 3pm to have a look, and the end piece I saw sure looked like a clean break, totally wierd.

I have 10lb Castaway on no less than 5 spools and at 70 bucks a throw it isn't cheap, I have never had any issues like this, which leads me to thinking Lee may have had a bad spool, some type of fault in the manufacturing process, maybe. I'm going to stick with it and see how it holds up, i'll let everyone know how it goes.

Regards

Al

Well done sounds like you all enjoyed yourselves out there. I have 6lb pe which I use at baroon and so far no probs, but I must admit there are quite a few brands I will never use out at NPD again for the reason Feral said. Some you can cast a mile, catch big fish, but the minute it touch's something PING

I got a bit wet giong for one of lee's fish:

Terry I dont even get wet going after my own fish.

Great report well done everyone.

Think that Lee should respool his reel with some venetian blind cord similar to what the Pro mackeral fisherman used to use out of Point Lookout.:laugh:

Cheers

Ray

pcsolutionman wrote:

Yeah not impressed at all with the catsaway, when u pay near $70 for line u expect better, not once did the line break at the leader knot it always broke randomly along the line. probly lost 50M of line and lures :(:( not happy.

I ended up getting 2 more bass high 30's after Terry left got them both on an ecogear ck40 Shallow in amongst the grass.

Lee

I have never had that problem with castaway it might have been a faulty batch I use it in 10,12,16,20lb and Its great and $70 thats steep I get it for $49 at charltons with discount but I think it retails there for $55

By the way great session fellas:)

Archived