THE PROMAX 66'

maxi

well we went up to Lees the other weekend to pick up the punt and motor and trailer, bloody trailer would not fit on so we left it there (sorry Lee, but we had no choice mate :laugh: :laugh:) thanks biggles for the leccy, we fired it up and it works a treat.. big thanks to Dave also for helping us load up...

the old girl was built in 1966, so hence the name.. it is very straight for a boat of its age no big dings anywhere which surprised us...

weve cleaned it out and decided to seal it up from the inside first with bostick, sikaflex cheapo.. :laugh: :laugh:

the reason we did this was because it could have leak points all around the rivets etc.. we put some 12 mm irrigation tube under the seats and ribs to allow any water to still flow to the transom bung plugs.... so if it leaks it will be under the seats and ribs and were not to worried about that..:laugh: :laugh:

we have some you beaut paint to use on inside up to top of seat height and we will use it on the bottom of hull also..

thats about as far as we have gotten so far.. few pics to follow..

cheers all

Maxi [img size=480]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/66_tinny_003.jpg

post-2155-144598459921_thumb.jpg

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

shortie... wont be yellow for much longer and the Q on the side will be gone soon...hahahaha get ready to chew on those words mate hahahaha we will keep the pics coming as we progress..rod lockers, live tank, esky,and heaps of storage for extra cartons of the winning beer...hahahaha

elli... just mate and the bbq will fit also.. hahahah

lee... the seats are fantastic mate... its gunna take us some time to do what we want but it will be all good in the end..thanks again lee and biggles..

Maxi

hi Ray, its 14.5 ft and 14400 mm wide.. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

its a vickers built in 66' mate, they built planes and boats back then for the army and commercial use..

we considered flipping the trailer mate but is was originly built for a catamaran sailing boat so was super wide and would have destroyed the lights on top of the traier guards...

and besides that it my back doesnt need that anymore.. :laugh:

were just gunna build a new one we think....

Maxi

Certainly a good size with lots of room for all the goodies.

If you need it I have a swaging tool and an assortment of solid rivets.

When we did up Ferals boat we just used blind pop rivets and filled the holes in the rivet with a dab of silaflex.

looks like a few projects on the go this month with Bigtez doing a refit, Saltshakers new rig and also my 2 .

Cheers

Ray

Cheers

Ray

Maxi / Lee you might be able to do a deal on the trailer with saltshaker, he was chasing something to turn in to a trailer for his new boat.

Maxi, the blind pop rivets in that size were not exactly easy to pop! I reckon apart from the new transom, I've replaced about 50 rivets in ym boat, she still takes on water, maybe a couple of gallons over a whole days fishing, no more than get from a cast netting session. I've got a floor and a bilge pump, not a worry really!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

ray... the paint were using on the timber inside is tree wound dressing used in the horticulture industry, its an acrylic and sticks to anything and is extremely hard wearing, its also used in the printing industry for t shirts etc.. im a painter of 35 yrs and am very impressed with this product, the exterior will all be 2 pak, jotun...

we got a bit more done this weekend, heres some pics, were putting a bit of weight in the old girl but were sure the hull will handle it due to its overall dimensions... will eventually put a 25 hp on it....

the unpainted hatch is for a live well and will be fully glassed up... [img size=496]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/tinny_007.jpg

post-2155-144598462466_thumb.jpg

the long hatches down either side are rod lockers, they will have a light floor and be carpeted all round. we hinged the whole front deck for access to batteries for bow mount in the future, were pretty happy with how its coming up, we will also have a rail that will run most of the length of hull and about 120 mm high from gunnel

cheers Maxi

Archived