Catch and Release

Dan23

Not looking to start a debate or anything. Just wondering if people are having the same experiences as me...

It seems like most people who I know whether they fish or not are always critisising me for practicing catch and release fishing. I can't count the amount of people who told me that fishing is pointless and a waste of time unless you're fishing for a feed. They think it is cruel to fish if you're just going to throw them back anyway, they may have a point.

On the other hand, if you do happen to keep a fish there's always those people who love to critisise you for that too.

Personally, I don't keep fish I catch around Brisbane unless I can't get them to swim away. That's only ever happened two or three times though and when it did I gave the fish to someone who would appreciate it.

If I go fishing in a coastal area I might take enough to eat fresh but I don't like freezing fish so I usually won't take more tan what can be consumed within a day.

Just wondering if other people have this problem and what they say to defend themselves.

And like I said, not wanting a debate on whether or not C&R or C&K is better, just wondering if others are receiving the same critisisms.

I fish about once a week work permitting and can count on one hand the number of fish I brought home to eat this year. I catch and release all the time, as fishing is a hobby and sport for me and not a means of supplimenting my nutrition.

And before Elicat chimes in 'Yes the last decent fish I planned to bring home, I dropped over the side when cleaning it!

nice post dan

i used to be a catch&keep angler when i didn't really catch more than what i can finish in one day, lol

but after fish with u for a while, i release all fish that's more than what i need. for rare or high sports valued fish like threadfin, i'd release all except that they r too tired to swim away.( luckily most of my fish's ok to swim so i'm the one that u usually give fish to, haha)

i've heard of a few ppl saying "only fish for a feed" thing and i didn't really mind since none of them get many fish anyway. since i'm in between a catch&kill fisherman and a strictly catch&release guy, i don't experience much difficulty getting along with either of them. i just give my catch to those that love eating what they catch and take less when fishing with someone who hate killing a single fish.

Don't worry about the critics Dan do your own thing.

I am right into catch & release.

I love my fishing but don't eat a great deal of fish so where ever possible I let them go to fight another day.

I keep the odd one that doesn't survive and give it to one of my older friends that loves fish but can't get about any more.

If people want to take a feed thats ok by me and if we want to catch and release thats up to us.

Yeah im pretty much the same as you Dan. 90% C&R. However depending on location im happy to C&K but never in large ammounts.

There are so many issues with C&R there will always be arguments.

For example I know a few people that fish as light as possible as its more sporting. Fair call.

But then another faction will tell you if you plan on C&R you should up your gear to make the fight shorter which actually allows the fish a better option to swim away. Interesting point I guess.

Anyway this could open a can of worms as everybody will never see eye to eye.

I dont personally mind what people do as long as it conforms to laws and common sense.

Angus

I take home 2 average size bass about every 3rd outing, that gives the wife and I one feed of bass per week which we enjoy it is not to offset the pension as we can still afford T Bones. The length of time you should keep fish frozen is around 3 months unless it was snap frozen, then it starts to lose its taste or gets freezer burn.

So I would say that I am 90% C and R also

i believe in catch and release as well, i will keep maybe 1 or 2 fish if they are of legal size. but fishig for me is more about the thrill of the hunt even if i dont get anything. my parents (old school asian) keep telling me to keep everything i catch but i know that if i kept everything then what would i be catching in 6mths time.

I dont care but i keep anything thats legal until we have a feed then release the rest unless its something special or unusual. However for winter whiting no size/bag limits, Keep any over 23cm, Can get upto 100 at times but these days, a good day will see you with around 50 which is about 3 feeds for a family of 5.

I mostly catch and release as I mostly fish for sport but if we feel like a nice fresh feed of fish we would go out and catch a few flaties to eat. But say if we go out snapper fishing and get a good fish we will keep it and have a few feeds in the frezer. I also have been critisisised for catch and realease but if I kept all my legal fish I would be eating fish for every meal :lol:

So I would also say 90% C&R

some interesting opinions/views there. i love a feed of fresh fish and don't have a problem keeping them, as long as it conforms to laws etc, and they are not rare (mary river cod etc). if something is just legal, i generally release (unless it's a really slow day). having said that, i never go overboard with keepers, i have enough for a few nights dinner and that's that. i have bagged out on some species before (usually mackeral, flathead and snapper) and then of course it is catch and release, i have never contravined a bag or size limit and don't plan to start.

dan, i honestly don't give a rats cracker what people think of my opinions on fishing, particularly those who don't fish who think they know better! i'm not going to change it. they are entitled to their opinion as much as i am entitled to mine and you to yours i reckon.

benno573 wrote:

dan, i honestly don't give a rats cracker what people think of my opinions on fishing, particularly those who don't fish who think they know better! i'm not going to change it. they are entitled to their opinion as much as i am entitled to mine and you to yours i reckon.

Bloody Anna Bligh and her mary gang of gaylords ure reffering to?

Mostly catch and release. I dont realy like, killing and eating lure caught bream that i target, because i use lures, for fun, not to catch more. If i want a feed ill look for flattys and whiting first, Or if im camping or up or down the coast and want a quick feed, i might use some bread or somthing for a couple of medium sized breambos (25cm - 30cm) dont like killing real old/big fish just for a few bites.

if i was in it for a feed i'd go down to the fish n chip shop and buy a fillet, i'd save an absolute truck load of money. why eat fish when you can eat steak i say. so its about 95% c&r for me, usual c&k on the mrs request, which works out good coz i'm sure she wonders where i go sometimes, coming and going in the wee small hours.

buzz

• 2 weeks later...

I am leaning towards catch and release but I dont usually catch more than one good one then I go home :P

I release many Bream that are legal and other legal size fish, I really only fish for the larger variety as we all do ;)

But yes fishing for a feed is great stuff, last time i went to buy flathead at cleveland it was $40.00 a kilo :ohmy:

Theres nothing like a nice feed of fresh fish ,very satisfying...

Having worked as a techie for water quality type projects, to me catch and release is good and makes for some great photo opportuniys on here but I also see the water/habitat quality of the river and surrounding bays also being influential on fishing sustainability.

Good on you guys for those that release what they dont need for a feed.

Dan

yeah all catch and release for me - i grew up in hervey bay and saw much needless waste or improperly caught and undersized fish - also thru my own experiences i am now ruled by a guilt complex - so unless it defintely will not survive, it goes back to make someone else happy

Nothing against either catching/releasing and catching for a feed- as long as we abide by the existing human and nature laws. :)

If ever I bring a catch home, I never bring anything in excess of what I need and what is allowed. :)

Conscience is as important as common sense. :)

EMP

namyau wrote:

i believe in catch and release as well, i will keep maybe 1 or 2 fish if they are of legal size. but fishig for me is more about the thrill of the hunt even if i dont get anything. my parents (old school asian) keep telling me to keep everything i catch but i know that if i kept everything then what would i be catching in 6mths time.

dont wanna sound racist:dry: cause im not ( some of my closest m8s being asian)B)

but ive noticed that is the attitude of alot of asians fishing, the whole keep everything thing.... alhtough again thats only form what ive seen...

but i see it way too often:blush:

but i spose the fishing karma will give them their comeupence eventuially!

thanks for sharing namyau

:woohoo: Wiseguy:woohoo:

Switzerland Says Kill Your Catch

Editor’s Note: Today’s story comes to us from the European Fishing Tackle Trade Association.

Catch and Release fishing will be banned in Switzerland from next year, it was revealed this week. And anglers in the country will have to demonstrate their expertise by taking a course on humane methods of catching fish, under new legislation outlined by the Bundesrat - the Swiss Federal Parliament.

The new legislation states that fish caught should be killed immediately following their capture, with a sharp blow to the head from a blunt instrument. Under the new regulations, the use of livebait and barbed hooks is also prohibited except in certain situations.

The laws come into effect in 2009 but while the Swiss government does not mention Catch and Release specifically, it does say that "it is not permitted to go fishing with the 'intention' to release the fish."

EFTTA lobbyist Jan Kappel has been in contact with Martin Peter, Vice President of the Swiss Angling Federation, to see whether a joint approach to the Swiss government could persuade them to amend the legislation - which forms part of a much wider animal welfare programme.

The law on the protection of animals was passed by the Swiss parliament in 2005 and officials have spent three years refining the details, taking into account the comments of interested parties.

Said Jan: "Catch and Release is one of the most difficult issues we have to deal with, and one of the most important in my opinion.

“The new Swiss law doesn't make use of the term 'Catch and Release', which is the same as in Germany – but I don't see how governments can enforce legislation which makes 'intent' illegal.

“And demanding that people kill the fish they catch gives no thought to the conservation benefits from releasing them."

Angling Codes of Conduct with regards to proper handling and releases can be found for practically any fish species caught by anglers in Switzerland and the rest of the world.

Sponsored Links

Mackay Fishing Holiday

From Freshwater to Deep Sea Fishing You'll Find it in Mackay!

www.QueenslandHolidays.com.au

FRESHWATER Fishing

Complete Range of Fishing Gear On Line at Factory Direct Prices

www.BigTackleShop.com.au

Fishing Forum - Australia

Australian fishing network. Forums, Blogs, Gallery, Chat. Join Now!

www.anglersnet.com.au

The new Swiss law makes it obligatory for anglers to take lessons before being granted a fishing license. So there is absolutely no need for an outright ban on the release of fish in Switzerland.â€Â

It’s believed that the legislation could affect as many as 275,000 anglers in Switzerland, who generate around 30 million Euros in annual tackle sales.

EFTTA acting president, Pierangelo Zanetta, said: "EFTTA does not believe that forcing anglers to kill their catches is either good for nature or for recreational sport fishing - which makes a significant financial contribution to the EU economy.

“Making the killing of fish obligatory will simply reduce fish population and, at the same time, run the risk of having a negative impact on sport fishing.

"Anglers and the sport of angling invest time and money to improve water quality and create larger and healthier fish populations. We believe is it far better for the fish if the fisherman decides, according to the situation, whether to keep and eat the fish or to release it."

Shrimpo wrote:

benno573 wrote:

Bloody Anna Bligh and her mary gang of gaylords ure reffering to?

i missed this a while ago - i might as well be referring to them! :angry: an example - i was catching a heap of big sea bream off fingal one day and releasing them as i had 3 for a feed and a coupla tailor. i was using my 2-4kg stick and having a ball, bream are very hardy fish when it comes to releasing them so light line wasn't a concern, if i got busted off i just rigged up and tried again. some old asian mate came over and tried to grab the fish out of my hand as i was releasing it saying that if i don't want it he will take it as he has never fished and loves to eat fish :blink: . i told him where to go and then he tried to nick one outa my bag :angry: . i really forcibly told him where to go after that and continued doing my own thing. everyone has their own way of fishing, forget what others think and keep doing it your way, providing it is legal and sensible of course.

Archived