$50 combo challenge/experiment!

chubbstar

I am setting myself a challenge,

I am only allowed to spend $50 on a combo, thats rod, reel and line. I have to use the same set up all the time, no changing the line etc. I'm not allowed to pull the reel apart to fix it, the only thing I can do is tighten the screws and wash it.:blink:

I've got to catch as many types of fish with this set-up as possible untill it dies a horible death.

Why? I want to go back to basics, I remember as a kid fishing for whiteing and monster Black Bream with 30lb mono and a broom stick, trying to catch meter long Couta on a hand line with 8lb mono and no wire trace. Just the thrill of catching a fish was all it was about, none of this 50 ball bearing, fluro carbon, super tuned, wizz banger with all the bells and whistles gear.

Now this could be a major flop, the reel may die with the first fish caught:laugh: , but hey it's only fiddy bucks and could be a bit of fun.:P

/>http://www.motackle.com.au/index.cfm?pr=product&product_id=1233

Time will tell;)

Jayson

I got a $10 shakespeare combo at last years boat show, The 6' medium action rod is a ripper. The spin reels drag haemmoraged fatally on my second fish, a large catfish at Jindalee. But with a $30 reel is now my favourite plastics setup.

Good challenge mate, I've caught heaps of fish on a $30 combo, this was my main combo for a fair while, the reel is a bit sticky now, but still ok, I decided to splash out & spend $25 on a new reel for the rod & it's currently going quite well. Nothing wrong with going back to basics mate, if you seen my reel collection, there is 2 functioning threadline reels 2 worn out threadline reels, and about a dozen Alveys. Be interesting to see some of the catches you get with this combo. Good luck mate!

Cheers,

Matt

one and a half words for ya mate... e bay.

i have purchased rods and reels off ebay for as little as $20 for the pair of them! and a lot of the time the reel comes with line on it. :laugh: the reel worked at manly the other day... better than yours! :P :whistle: :pinch:

i got a game set-up off ebay for about 50-60. all saratoga stuff - 15 kg carbon fibre rod for around $11 - an ok overhead which is suprisingly enjoyable to cast with for about $25 and some 24 kg el-cheepo braid which upon seeing that it was yellow gave me doubts - but the rod caught all the worthwhile fish on a trip to the whitsundays (the reason for which it was bought - and if it broke, then its true, cheap shit sux) but it didn't and is still going strong with no signs of wear/tear

Hahaha nice challenge. Man my entire childhood was spent using whatever combo the corner store at Noosa was selling at the time. Usually no more than 20. I still caught some great fish includign my only Diamond Trev at 45cm. Not that big but anyone that has caught DT will know they are no sooks!

By the way, this 50 ball bearing reel you speak of... Where can I get one?

:P

Angus

personally I think you'd do fine with a $50 combo. Some of the cheaper stuff are really quite durable even if its not as fancy. Just don't push the gear too hard and I'm sure it'll last a long time. Don't think you'll have problems catching fish either, I caught more fish when i first started with my k-mart combo.. think i'm spending too much time in tackle shops and not fishing.. lol

:laugh: :laugh: SOme good stories there, Adrian the whole idea for this little experiment is to give the cheap gear a hard time.

Looking around the stores etc you can get some realy good gear for $50, so I'm now thinking of spending maybe $30? I'm not sure yet depends on what line I can get with the combo. I'm looking at around the 10-15lb. Part of the challenge is No leader.:)

Jayson

Jayson seriously mate, get one of those kids packs from Big W..:P in pink for the ultimate challenge.

Oh I just remember what happened to mine

the rod smashed somehow :whistle: then I put the reel onto another better rod, ... and never got around to using the reel again.

if you're just fishing in the river, no leader should be ok, the river is so dirty and I've caught plenty of fish by just going with cheap jarvis walker mono. i think the fluro does help a little, but when fishing in mostly muddy conditions as is the brisbane river I don't really feel it matters much with leader or not, guess it depends on where you are fishing as well...

good idea chubby will be good to see what you get mate

my old boss at tackle world took out a $25 pick combo to use on tuna for a bit of fun first hookup the reel smashed off the reel seat and started spining on the stripper guide ha ha lol funny thing is he got his money back for the combo ha ha ha

Hey Jayson,

I bought a Jarvis combo six months ago which cost me around 30 or 40 dollars. The first session with it, the rod broke. But guess what? I saw another Jarvis on special for 15 bucks or something and I've been using it with the old reel.

This same combo has what I've been using. I'm quite happy. :)

But in another month or so, I will buy myself a better one- a much better one. ;)

EMP

Untill like less than 2 years ago, i used to only use cheap combos :D. Had plenty of jarvis walker $30 combos... Just used whatever line came on it, and didnt use a swivel just tied the sinker on my line with a shoelace knot :D. Then i remember i was fishing of a bridge at the tweed and i lost 3 decant flattys in a row trying to lift them up so i went and got some 20lb pink mono for my little spinning combo :D

i do heaps of fishing with a freeby kids alvey combo i got at a DPI fishing clinic 4 or 5 yrs ago up at noosa

was the only one 2 catch a fish

and caught 4 haha

think it was a bit unfair on the others though

but yeh still use it now

teh reel is just starting to twist a bit tooo freely

Archived