Brisbane River Winter Cod Sesh!

pinkey

Hey everyone.

Last night, callum rang me telling me his Dad wanted to take us fishing at a new location in the lower brisbane river (Save your time and don't ask where ;) ).

We arrived at about 10:30am, Windy as heck. Callums dad andrew stayed for a quick flick (no result) and then left, and gave us untill 3:30pm to fish. Started off cold and very windy and the fishing was slow. The gear we were mainly using today was our bream outfits, Callums was fitted with 4lb crystal fireline, mine with 2lb stren microfuse. He used 8lb leader I used 6. Started off with squidge 5Gram ball jigheads with 1size hooks. And 3inch berkley Bass minnows. We were casting into deep swirling water at the start thinking it looks very tailory.. And not long after callum was on, but then off again, a suspect chopper. Started walking down the rocky bank, flicking away, i get a few hits and am soon on for the first fish of the day, actully lets call it bait :P, A 11cm winter whiting! which later will be eaten by a beast. The fishing was then very slow, the tide was ripping through and the wind was still strong. The wind and current finnaly started dying down and this is when the bite period got hot. I sent my bass minnow flying into a very snaggy location, Jig jig jig CRUNCH, hooked somthing with some good weight, put alot of hurt on me on the light gear. Knew it was a decant fish so callum goes down to land it, up comes a 34cm Eastury cod :D, new pb! =]. Rocks = cod, so we knew there should be some more, we were not wrong :). Callum tied on a 3inch Atomic Prong. And we started flicking around looking for another cod or 2. Im flicking away when i hear callum screaming "im on" and his rod also screaming :D. A great fight, up comes a 38cm Eastury Cod, by far his pb. Very exited about this, we wanted more! :P. Came across a nice rocky area, and callum says " theres gotta be cod here!" First or second cast in he gets belted, zzzzzzzzz, he couldnt stop this one on 4lb, very powerful fish, no doubt it was a solid cod. Bricked... he frespooled the reel, and then we saw the line moving, so wound up the slack and it ran into another rock :huh:, this time it found freedom. We thought it was pretty cool hooking onto a solid cod straight after saying i bet theres a cod here. I moved down to the left abit and callum was keen on flogging that area for another cod. I got snagged and heard callum "YEP" looked over to see his rod loaded. Up comes a nice little 30cm Cod. He kept flogging the area and hooked up to another brick of a cod, on the atomic prong again, he couldnt stop it, peeling drag, he couldnt do much but hope and struggle.. with ease it ran into some underwater structure and busted him off. These 2 cod callum lost we guessed to probly be around the 40 - 45cm mark, who knows maybe bigger :P. We were running out of time, and callum had no rig on. Then we rememberd the whiting i had kept in my bag from earlier for a moment like this. So callum puts on 8lb leader on his 4lb, then connects 30lb to that 8lb! haha, with a large sinker and a large hook. Rigged the fresh 11cm winter whiting up and flung her out into the snaggy depths.Less than 5 mins later He got a phone call but at the same time saw his line tightening. He struck and set the hooks to the beast on the other end. Zzzzzz.. zz.zzzzzz zzzzzzzz zz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Gone. Were putting it down to a Big Cod, could of been one of the number of other beast fish that inhabit the river, but were pretty sure it wasnt vermin. Weve caught bucketloads of vermin on our bream gear before and this seemed different. Time was running very low, so we started flicking on the way back to our original spot. I flicked neer some more rocks and got smashed, wasnt anywhere neer as heavy as the cod, it actully jumped, thought it was a tailor, then a squire o.O, but up came a nice lil breambo at 24FL, Took a 3inch bass minnow in Pumpkinseed on a 1/8 jighead. Then i was walking along jigging at the same time and i felt a weird fish, wasnt sure if i was on, it only faught neer the end and up came a 31cm pike. Kept it for bait, 1 last go at a cod we thought :D. Saw a snaggy location and sent a fillet out. We only had like 10mins before we had to go. I was just flicking my plastic out into the depths while watching callums line, when i got a hit and pulled in a pretty 20cm moses perch, followed by 1 or 2 casts later a 19cm moses perch! lol. Callums pike strip gets hit hard, but the fish spits the bait after a few seconds, casts it back in the same area and is on again in about 3 mins. zzzzz..z ...... Bricked... Had to snapp the line because His dad was waiting to pick us up. So all in all, A great sesh!

Sorry for the long post but i had alot of fun today and havnt made a big report for ages :P. And this time we have pics! and didnt tecnicly black them out :laugh:.

Thanks for reading, i enjoyed writing. :woohoo:

you guys make me laugh with your blacked out spots!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

i say why bother posting at all unless to just show off?

its not like you are helping anyone with new spots or techs to try!

so i will add if anyone wants to catch a decent cod or two! try the rock wall at the end of the port of bris on the north side and the eastern side of the wall!

also try the red marker accross from the sunken wall!

and last try the sunken wall!

i have caught cod ova 40cm at all these places

all boat based but thats all i know sorry!

cheers Ian.

rumrunner wrote:

you guys make me laugh with your blacked out spots!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

i say why bother posting at all unless to just show off?

its not like you are helping anyone with new spots or techs to try!

so i will add if anyone wants to catch a decent cod or two! try the rock wall at the end of the port of bris on the north side and the eastern side of the wall!

also try the red marker accross from the sunken wall!

and last try the sunken wall!

i have caught cod ova 40cm at all these places

all boat based but thats all i know sorry!

cheers Ian.

onya ian... i have had success in the boat around the sunken wall and the rock wall at the mouth and in the channel just out from the "poo shute". live/dead herring are a good bait.

i think most people who have had a good hunt around down near the mouth recognise those rocks anyway... ;) if not, trust me, they aren't that hard to find guys.

Theres plenty of good spots around in the brisbane river for cod so whats the problem with keeping a good spot to yourselfs no doubt many people have fished there before and we didnt black out the photo's for just a few average sized cod we blaked it our because WE GOT MURDERED several times lol

Archived