what is a good leader knot

Hey all

I am just putting a 15lb flurocarbon leader onto 8lb braid and I was noticing it looks a bit bogus :blink:

I don't think I have done it very well..

Since I dont want it to break free on the first fish does anyone

know of the best leader knot to use to connect the leader straight onto the braid?

regards Dan

Albright knot is a good one mate.

Give a low profile knot so it run smoothly through rod eyes.

After a couple of goes they are easy to do.

Have a look at Ausfish they have a good animated knot section.

Maybe on here to but I don't know where.
/>http://www.ausfish.com.au/knots/

As has been said, Uni-uni and Albright are good, quick and easy. Bimini is a bit harder and slower to tie, but it is stronger

To make sure it won't break on the first fish/snag, just test the knot before you cast. Either by pulling some drag off quickly or just pulling on the knot.

I'm not known for my leader knot skills but I find when tying 60lb leader to 20lb line the Albright is reliable and easier to tie as you don't have to tie a knot in the leader itself. I also find looping the braid and tying it as a double works well for extra strength. Uni to Uni is good for lighter lines IMO once again double the braid over with a loop for extra strength.

I have found that some thin braids will cut through a leader when tied with an albright knot. So I now use the Uni to Uni knot when at home and out of the wind, on the boat when its windy I still use the albright but retie after each snag or fish.

Terry

I use improved albright, generally I use the thinner line to loop around the thicker line, (which generally means braid going around leader) but when using small breaking strain, I'll often tie the leader around the braid, that way the leader material is on the outside of the knot, and it has better wear resistance going through the runners.

Feral wrote:

I use improved albright, generally I use the thinner line to loop around the thicker line, (which generally means braid going around leader) but when using small breaking strain, I'll often tie the leader around the braid, that way the leader material is on the outside of the knot, and it has better wear resistance going through the runners.

I know it might be a strange question but I have recently bought a fishing rod, it has slightly larger holes in the runners for the same purpose as you mentioned, for knots passing through freely.

That wasn't the reason I bought the rod but I can't help but thinking, what sort of rig do you use that has such a long leader or has anything like that running through runners?

My first thought was that I never have any knots above the sinker then for lures I never thought there would be a need for a leader so long as it actually passed through the runners when fishing or casting.

Flaty catcher,

I generally start with about a 2m leader. As I change lures throughout the fishing trip, tying on new ones, each lure change uses about 100mm of leader. When I get down to a little bit over a meter I will change the leader.

The leader also is a bit more "stretchy" than braid, so a metre or two of leader acts as a shock absorber.

Also the long leader is to stop big fish from cutting the line with tail, gill rakers etc.

Leader is also much more abrasion resistant than braid, generally when a fish wraps you around something it will be the last couple of metres of line that is rubbing on the snag when your trying to work the fish off.

I used to only ever use a double when casting lures or trolling for fish such as barra in the snags.

I know braid has little to no abrasion resistance, so a double gave me that extra bit of protection just in case one of the big fellas took me in past the leader.

Mainly when i cast lures for them, i don't really use a long enough leader to compensate for the amount of wood i'd be throwing at.

I used to double all my rigs until recently when i finally realised my albrights weren't breaking anyway.

I was just wasting my time.

Although the bimini (double) does mantain a hell of a lot of strength.

hi dino. as long as i use leader stronger than mainline( which is usually the case) i'd prefer a double(bimini) on mainline. with very light line it's just too troublesome and i'll jump the line class like u said. but when i need to push the mainline to limit, i need the knot to have 100% strength. that's when i double the mainline with bimini ( so double strength on mainline) then tie it to the leader( some strength loss at this knot but since the mainline's doubled, it's fine). hope this explains.

Archived