Tagged fish at Wivenhoe

WayneD

I was desperate for a fish and today was my only day off. So I woke up to the sound of rain on the roof and thought nah it won't be raining at the dam it hardly ever rains at Wivenhoe. Rained all the way on the hour long drive out there, and rained most of the time that I was there.

Launched at 6:30 from Hayes Landing and headed right up the main channel. Took about 20 minutes until I was on to this hungry little fella. I have been having success lately trolling long skinny lures for bass. At 120mm this was a fairly long lure but this guy had no trouble having a swipe. As you can see from the pic I didn't actually hook him in the mouth so I was lucky to catch him.

Not long after the first fish I was coming up to my spot X and was just thinking to myself shou get a hit here soon. BAM and I was on but the hooks pulled about 3 metres from the yak, bugger. I trolled past my spot X and did a u turn and came back. I changed my big lure to a spinnerbait and trolled that thru X. No luck. Decided I needed a pit stop so wound in the spinnerbait and peddled hard for the ramp leaving my gold bomber in the water. In about 10 metres of water and going rather fast the bomber got slammed and line started to peel of the Fuego. Wow wasn't expecting that to happen! The fish took a couple of good runs and by the time it came to the surface it was defeated. I netted the beauty and got it in the yak, dehooked it and reached for my camera. As I was feeling for the camera I was looking at a sore on the fish and then I saw it, a tag!! Woohoo never caught a tagged fish before, makes you feel a little bit special I reckon. I had to scrape some growth off the tag but I could eventually read the tag number. How the bloody hell am I going to be able to remember this I thought to myself. I was only about 100m from my car so decided to try and remember it. Paddled to the car, no bloody pens!!! Texted the tag number which I had repeated a thousand times over in my head to Sel. He replied back, you went out in this weather?

So off I went to the toilet and then returned to fishing. Threw the gold bomber out again and put on a flatz ratz2 in bleeding mullet. 2 minutes later I was on with the bomber and then I was off again, bugger 2nd pulled hooks today. Then the flats ratz went off, catfish they always strike when the lure is paused. Released it and threw both lures back out again. Flats rats was on again straight away. I thought it was a decent bass but ended up being a feisty rather large catty.

That was the end of the action for the day. I had one more pulled hook >:( 3 for the day. So all up only 2 bass 1 under 40 and 1 at 50fl.

Called the number for the tagged fish and gave them the info on my recapture. Then the most exciting thing of the day happened. The details of it's tagging were.

Date - 25/04/97

Length - 25cm

Location - Somerset Dam

And when I caught him

Date - 08/07/08

Length - 50(fl) 52 Overall

Location - Wivenhoe Dam

So this fish has managed to make its way between dams in the past 11 years. Very interesting. [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/BigW0807_003__Custom_.jpg

post-1190-144598464203_thumb.jpg

Rocket75 wrote:

...nice Ugg Boots too;)

Rocket

Best fishing purchase I have made this year. $10 from BigW to wear at BigW:laugh: . Wasn't that cold today but I still wore them. I have actually perfected launching the yak without getting my feet wet so that way I don't have to take them off.

I have also sprayed them with a waterproofing so they don't soak through in a situation like this mornings rain.

Wayne, big bass will go over the wall when water is released and head downstream. natural instinct relating to breeding

Obviously he's come over with the recent releases from somerset to wivenhoe. Only difference here is that downstream of somerset is another dam, Wivenhoe.

TerryH wrote:

Wayne, big bass will go over the wall when water is released and head downstream. natural instinct relating to breeding

Obviously he's come over with the recent releases from somerset to wivenhoe. Only difference here is that downstream of somerset is another dam, Wivenhoe.

terry this fish would of come over back in the 2000/2001 floods i have got one bass that was tagged in somerset and a got it 5 years later in the brisbane river down from big w

• 1 month later...

Archived