The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Schultzy

After exchanging posts with Rocket I decided that as soon as the missus got home with the fourby I'd race over to the local lake to play with the bass.

Arrived at 12:45 and got the Hobie in the water at 13:00. I had intentions of working a few banks for a golden but the weather looked so good I changed to plan B and just went wandering around the lake. Got my first bass at 13:06 on a Spoonbill. :)

Headed south, towards the buoy line and spotted four kayaks off in the distance, in Hayes Inlet. Looked the right colours to be Steven and Wayne and perhaps Paul. Didn't get within a Half a kay of them, they were heading in as I was heading across the lake.

Picked up two more bass on the troll, just following the birds around at the far end of Platypus. :cheer: Heading back across towards Hayes I made a bee line for another mob of birds and got another bass on the troll. :laugh: While playing this fish I noticed a good show on the sounder. It is usually catties that follow hooked fish up but these looked OK so I clipped a BOZOS onto the second rod and dropped it over letting out about 15’ of line then stuck it in the rod holder so I could land the hooked fish. Before I got that fish in, the rod in the holder went off. “Damn cattieâ€Â, I thought aloud and left it while I grabbed the pliers and shook off the bass on the first line. Shock horror, when the fish on the softie came up it was another bass! :woohoo:

There were still plenty of arches on the sounder so I unclipped my Spoonbill from the first rod and put on a Red Eye Shad. Snapped a photo of the bass on the softie and dropped the lure back over only to hook up on the drop. Yet another bass! :silly:

It was about then that it started raining :S (16:15) so the camera went into the Pelican case out of harms way. Landed BOZOS bass number two and the rod in the holder doubled over. Yep, you guessed it another bass, this time on the Red Eye Shad. One more on the softie then it happened, and the catties moved in. :( Got five in no time flat :X and put the trolling lures back on and pedalled back to the car.

Cold, slightly wet but happy enough.

The Good... First of a trio of bass caught on softies. [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/AFO_7927.jpg

post-108-14459846479_thumb.jpg

More quality fish schultzy, Sounds like a pretty good session mate.

Trying to juggle a DSLR around in the yak with all the timer and focus issues can be a real pain but when you get the shot right it is worth it. I have a small tripod and cable release and that makes life a whole lot easier.

bretto wrote:

More quality fish schultzy, Sounds like a pretty good session mate.

Trying to juggle a DSLR around in the yak with all the timer and focus issues can be a real pain but when you get the shot right it is worth it. I have a small tripod and cable release and that makes life a whole lot easier.

I mount a Slick mini tripod on the front hatch but the cable release has died. Much easier in the boat where I have room to leap around after setting the timer.

Even more easy to take a crewie along on another yak to take the damn photos.

username_taken wrote:

well done Schultzy!

you know if you had a brumby you could have the hobie permanently racked and ready to go ... no more waiting for the wife to get back from having a manicure or whatever it is that females do.

wouldn't happen to know where he could get a good 2nd hand one hey Paul?

Yeah I was out there but we must have just missed each other at the gate, I was leaving as you were launching.

There was a group of six of us today and what a great day weather wise. I took out a newby to the dam today and within 5 minutes he had landed a stonker of a bass at 56cm! Geez this is easy he says. Unfortunately that was the only bass he caught for the day but was still stoked, as I would be he beat my PB!!!!

I ended up with 4 today, 45, 51, 42ish and 20-25cm:unsure: the smallest bass I have seen in BigW.

Conditions were sensational for me not a hint of rain just some light cloud cover. I tried some 80mm slick rigs but had no luck. The bait were really schooling straight out from the launch site at Billies and a few trolls through them saw most of my fish caught for the day.

Ezra with his 56cm bass

[img size=500]
/>http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/BigW1307_003__Custom_.jpg

post-1190-144598464799_thumb.jpg

Geez WayneD, I reckon you should leave Ezra at home next time if he's going to show you up like that again!:P What a great fish!

If you are only gunna catch one, you gotta be happy with a BIG one. At least you got him for total length for the day:lol:

What lures did the damage?

Rocket

Rocket75 wrote:

Geez WayneD, I reckon you should leave Ezra at home next time if he's going to show you up like that again!:P What a great fish!

If you are only gunna catch one, you gotta be happy with a BIG one. At least you got him for total length for the day:lol:

What lures did the damage?

Rocket

Flatz ratz for Ezra and a gold bomber for me, all fish caught trolling.

kreel wrote:

The Good... First of a trio of bass caught on softies. [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/AFO_7927.jpg

Great fish Schultzy. I notice you use a clip to secure your lure, is that your preferred method? I've always been told to use a looped knot of some kind rather than a clip, although I think your clip method would be quicker and easier to use.

Rocket75 wrote:

Thanks Wayne, how big a bomber do you use...I know that one model is a bit shorter and has a bigger bib...is that the one?

It's the long A model. 120mm overall including same coloured bib as the body, body alone is 90mm long. Dives to about 3.5mtrs.

I have been trolling lures that the body alone is 120mm long and have had great success on them. Here's a pic of one of the greedy little buggers. [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/BigW0807_003__Custom_-be0c7fea51a08c1556dc997936bd9b15.jpg

post-1190-14459846484_thumb.jpg

Archived