Lake Maroon 6/9/8

Brian D

Well don't hurry down to Lake Maroon, Daz and I arrived there at about 5.30am and fished until 2pm for 1 fish caught on a spinner slug dropped over the side of the boat at the dam wall. Due to the sleepy nature of the fish Daz thought it was weed until he realized that weed doesn't swim sideways.

We tried a wide range of techniques and lures and did 2 laps of the dam but best we managed was a fish follow for me and a boof for Daz. The only fish we saw caught were by a guy with a fly set up with very small fly.

Nice dam, pretty and good for the family but I will wait until a little later in the season and a few more bugs to be born before I return.

Warning - my swiftco trailer jumped off the tow ball at about 80km going down hill under breakes. It has a little swing cap that locks the brakes "off" and I didn't notice that someone had enguaged the lock. Suspect #1 Grand daughter - she is always playing with the jockey wheel. Suspect #2 the person I leant the boat to for 2 weeks. But who ever it was it doesn't matter, my gut told me to check it before driving off and I didn't. Lucky the Prado is what it is because no damage or disaster but a good wake up call about safety.

Thanks for the day Dazza, it's great fun fishing with you as you proove to be a excellent boat partner but did you realy have to take over so professionally from Aaron and out fish the skipper. What is it with you deckies? My lure, my boat and my call to fish the wall and you catch the fish. :S

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! One day this skipper will ctach a fish! Jesting with you Daz, I'll get you back next trip!

BTW the dam is very yakable with great water side camping - just a thought!

Well what a day!

Brian and myself tried everything to catch a fish or two but it was tough going I mean TOUGH going!! I switch from poppers to bugs to Gvibes to spinnerbaits to icejigs to slugs and back again for only the 1 fish caught on a slug. I dont even think the right word is "caught" as it must have been the only fish in the whole dam who wanted to lay down and die! It didnt even fight and felt like a lump of weed on the line, only kicking when I removed the treble from the corner of its mouth.:blink: We fished every part of the dam from one end to the other and this included: weed margins, timber, open water, the dam wall and any where else the wind would blow us(yeah it was windy:dry: ).

I really struggled with this one!!:blush:

Besides the lack of fish the dam is a pretty nice place to go fishless on!!:laugh: :laugh: sorry Brian!

Thanks again for the deckies spot mate I had a great day!!:)

Heres a pic of the little tacker! [img size=250]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Picture_206_AFO.jpg

post-633-144598471669_thumb.jpg

Archived