berkley dropshot

Scope

i've heard good things about dropshots, good for light lure casting and in 1-3kg that will make smaller fish a lot more fun to catch.

if u want a small real that isn't too overpriced shimano have a few around $70-$120 that would suit

stuff like sienna (i think about $70 or $80) or slade ($50) if u wanna go cheaper

there's a little info, hope it helps

FishoDave wrote:

i've heard good things about dropshots, good for light lure casting and in 1-3kg that will make smaller fish a lot more fun to catch.

if u want a small real that isn't too overpriced shimano have a few around $70-$120 that would suit

stuff like sienna (i think about $70 or $80) or slade ($50) if u wanna go cheaper

there's a little info, hope it helps

Thanks Dave, was having a squiz at the slade this arvo, and didn't mind it. I'll definately check out the sienna as well though.

Cheers Jono

The dropshots are good rods. Havn't had personal experience, but a mate has one and likes it (I've tried it a couple of times casting as well) and have never heard any bad things about them.

For the reel, the Shimano Siedo is alright, though if you can stretch your budget to it, the Shimano Symetre (about $160)is a great reel. For Daiwa, the CY ($120) or Excelor ($185)

I have a Berkley Dropshot rod. Snapped the tip clean off after a couple of months ... grrr. Rather than throw it out I put on a new tip runner minus an inch or so. It's a better rod now than before, ideal for tossing SPs and squid jigs. It's matched to a 2000 TiCA Splendour with 6lb braid. I took it to Phuket last year and had a great time trolling SPs for baby bluefin up to 1 kg.

If there's one negative thing I'd say about the rod is that it's a bit too stiff for fish with soft mouths like yellowtail scad or silver trevally.

1000 series sienna, 6lb braid. Should get out of it for under $100. If Braids a bit out of your league, same size mono.

My first reasonable quality rod was a dropshot baitcaster. Still does duties on the yak occasionally. Good little rods.

PS never seen one the original length, they always have the top cm or two missing!

Bought my 1-3kg DropShot and Plfeuger something or other (Just locked them away after an afternoons fish down Wynnum/Manly) off Dom on here a year ago. 2 spools, 4lb and 6lb Crystal Fireline. Fantastic all round rod as far as I'm concerned, flick a lure, whack on a #4 sinker and bait, it does the lot! Shark, bream, snags, whiting, toads, flathead, flounder, T shirt, perch, weed, rogue lures, tailor, happy moments, emperors, rocks, pike, crab pot, turtle, catties etc. Santa is bringing a Sedona FD1000 to go on it which was about $105 mail order from Ocean Storm. Long Live the Dropshot! B)B)B)

(Bound to snap it now, eh? :dry: Some elitist fella once said "Aha! Look at the beginner with his Dropshot, everyone starts with 1 of them!!!" Hang on, Trav! Who caught the biggest fish on yer birthday bash with a stinky prawn, and out Cattied yer at Somerset with a $4 Big W lure, both times on a $60 DropShot!!! :P:P:P;) :kiss: )

Davo_Dinkum wrote:

sound good ,we will bring a camera crew and make a tv show for SBS or bris 31.

can call it : Back to Basics .

staring davo dinkum and special guest kev the pom,

part 1 :still starving and no fish .

Seeing as I started this thread I want in.... or at least a chance to go fishing with the survivor :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

theres 30% of certain fishing gear at Kmart - Arana Hills , i picked up a 2500 sienna lastnight for $55.30 ..i thought it was an ok deal , seeing as i didnt see the 30% off signs and prepared to pay $80 ..then got a shock at the checkout ..but acted cool like i knew it was on sale ..there were a few 1000's there also

Anyone know the approx going price of a 2-4kg dropshot spin. was guna check out bcf , looking for the best possible price , cheers

I've noticed there are fewer and fewer dropshots at the BCF stores I've visited lately. It also seems as thought they've discontinued the blue dropshot? (sorry don't know the model number) When I got mine from BCF it cost me $80 and worth every cent in my opinion. I have noticed my local anaconda now stocks dropshots (the strange pink/red colour models) and are priced at $99. If you're not already a member, spend over $100 and you'll get some generous discount for joining the club as you pay! :)

Big W has "ABU GARCIA" reels from $18! They are ball bearing reels too! They go up in price to $21 then $28..... i have purchased one to try for the hell of it and gosh, it works a treat, better than most expensive shimano reels i have had in the past!

Archived