Newstead 10/10/07

boon

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

jeff f wrote:

cant knock it 'till you try it

some asian cooks could make a rubber thong taste good

jeff, you got that spot on. i had 2 mates from bris come over in july (read: caucasians), and they plucked up the courage to try our local malaysian freshwater catfish which is considered one of the best eating fish here. They loved it! haha. talk about being surprised lol..

Put it this way. do$tlyz is coming over in November. He was born and bred Aussie, so lets see what he has to say about catfish once he's tried it lol. I'll do an article with pictures on that dinner :P. hehe.

Brissie river catfish is ok. I did fish and chips with cattie fillet, no problems there, easy 6/10. curried catfish from the brissie river was quite ok too.. 6/10.

From food standards Ausrlia.

The Australian Dietary Guidelines advise eating one or

two fish meals per week for good health. The good news

is that FSANZ has found it is safe for all population

groups to eat 2-3 serves per week of most types of

fish. There are only a few types of fish, which FSANZ

recommends limiting in the diet – these are billfish

(swordfish / broadbill and marlin ), shark/flake, orange

roughy and catfish.

Apparently they tend to get high in mercury.

You should not judge people by personal dietry habits. There are a few posts in this thread that are bordering on offensive. There is nothing wrong with having an opinion. But some comments are getting out of line.

I cop s@&t all the time for my families eating habits. Haggis (sheeps stomach stuffed with kidneys, liver and heart), black sasuage (sasuage made from blood), other offals, trotters, the list goes on. So i cant comment about food :P

If you dont like something dont eat it. Dont being a sledge match to a friendly forum. Thats enough from me.

Angus

Fisher_90 wrote:

WTF!!!!!!! You guys eat catfish. And i thought Stingrays were bad. I hope you die of poisoning. Thats wrong. Whats next Toads?

:blink: Damn Fisher, a bit full on dont ya think? Aint nothing wrong with a bit of toad every now and then. Catch em stick ya thumb up it's bum hole too realy p1ss it off, Then lick it's back like an icypole.:P:blink: :S :side: Good gear mate;) Then cook it up in a nice curry and feed it to you're mother-in-law.

jeff f wrote:

cant knock it 'till you try it

some asian cooks could make a rubber thong taste good

thats right geoff - my dads was a chef (retired now) and whenever we go out to eat he can tell if something was borderline going off/really cheap and crap quality and something that is fresh as....

boon wrote:

This is really sad and I'm just gonna ignore them but if it continues, I'm gonna goto the authorities as I've got their phone numbers saved :)

It's pathetic that some people have to push there opinions in this way.

I would't worry to much Boon, there not the sharpest tools in the shed by the sounds of things

Mal

Getting back to the subject when I used to buy at the fishmarket auctions at Colmslie about 30 years ago there always used to be heaps of catfish,shovelnozed sharks, and stingrays sold. They were very popular and there were very few asian buyers there at that time.

It was the aussie fish and chip shop buyers who used to grab them.

I have eaten both freshwater tandanus and forkies and saltwater forkies and have not been overly impressed with the taste but as Boon and others have said it is all in the preperation.

When i was in Thailand I once had a dried catfish head curry and even though it was rather spicy I really enjoyed it much to Judys discust.

Whenever I am in Asia I always look for this dish.

The next ray that I get I am going to keep and try it asian style.

As far as eating toads goes the japanese eat them but they have to be prepared in a special way to remove the toxins and they are looked in as a delicacy.

The caretaker at the Fingal caravan park used to barbeque them and leave them around to poison all the feral cats.

Cheers

Ray

Whoa.... out of control boys!

A word of caution first. If you have ever given your home or mobile number to the Police it is linked to you and just typing in the number will bring you up. If you try and outsmart the Police by not giving us the number, but you fill it in on your registration/licence renewal forms with QLD Transport then we have it too. And if you think you are too smart for that, then we can apply to your phone provider to supply all the numbers called and received from a handset and they must provide them. It shows number called, time of call and duration of call.

You will be asked to explain if Police get involved!

Back to the thread, not about catfish but more stingrays. I have never tasted it but maybe thinly sliced and marinated and then BBQ on a super hot grill similar to baby occy perhaps? I am allergic to chilli though, so any other ideas for marinades?

bootyinblue wrote:

Back to the thread, not about catfish but more stingrays. I have never tasted it but maybe thinly sliced and marinated and then BBQ on a super hot grill similar to baby occy perhaps? I am allergic to chilli though, so any other ideas for marinades?

Aww man, u're allergic to chilli? You're missing out on ALL the nicest food in the world booty! Sambal stingray!

Pity there's no other way that I know of cooking it apart from spicy recipes. Best way is still grilling it so that the meat becomes real soft and tender. Perhaps I should try the honey soy linseed and sesame as instructed by faulked!

Smoked ray and even just floured and fried yumo

Catties well cant say I tried em but in a past pot they call em silver cobbler and sell for 24.50 with chips in Lake Argile pub

Carp on the other hand I've tried all sorts of wats by all cuacations and it still tastes like crap :X :X lol

Hey Boon when they call don't hang up they they cant call anyone else till you do lmao just put the phone next to a speaker put some crap music on and go to bed :P

Gaz

Archived