Awesome Session- New PB Clear Island waters

James W

badboygibbo wrote:

I don't know alot about bass but do they live in salt water aswell? or was the bream in the fresh?

probably a stupid question but im curious:lol:

Not a stupid question at all!

They live in the fresh mainly and move towards the salt water to spawn (breed). That's why landlocked fresh or impoundment bass can not breed.

Mack Attack- I usually launch at the dog park on the robina parkway and is very yak friendly.

badboygibbo- The bream make their way into the lakes via the lock. I have also caught flathead near the lock in the brackish water too. The bass may be breeding as they can exit & enter via the lock through to the salt too breed.

My mate is going to start tagging the bass soon so we might find out.

Do$tylz- Not sure if I am heading out that way on the weekend as I might be chasing giant herring and tarpon around but if I am going on saturday I will drop you a PM.

flatty_catcher wrote:

they are obviously not released ones which is good to see

Dan

The Australian Bass Association has been stocking these waters with Australian Bass for about 3-4 years now and will continue to do so for at least another 2. There was a small original population in Mudgeeraba Creek, but most of the fish caught in there now would be a direct result of our stocking efforts.

bretto wrote:

There is already a tagging program being run on these waters by us, the Australian Bass Association. May I ask who this 'mate' is!?

But on a side note, on our recent taggins session the biggest Bass caught was 42cm and I also boated a 44cm Bream. There is some great fishing in there!

Leigh.

loomis wrote:

flatty_catcher wrote:

they are obviously not released ones which is good to see

Dan

The Australian Bass Association has been stocking these waters with Australian Bass for about 3-4 years now and will continue to do so for at least another 2. There was a small original population in Mudgeeraba Creek, but most of the fish caught in there now would be a direct result of our stocking efforts.

bretto wrote:

There is already a tagging program being run on these waters by us, the Australian Bass Association. May I ask who this 'mate' is!?

But on a side note, on our recent taggins session the biggest Bass caught was 42cm and I also boated a 44cm Bream. There is some great fishing in there!

Leigh.

It is my mate who fishes there regularly every week land based. He is not part of the ABA but I will let him know that there is already a tagging program in place and he may get in contact for more info.

There must have been a population of fish in the area for quite some time or a recent influx of fish from hinze whilst it was overflowing as we have caught about twenty fish in the high forties over the past few weeks and also two over 50 with the best at 51.5 off the surface.

Brett

Archived