monduran 08 tempter

faulked

Would you believe that skeeters have no rod holders?:laugh:

The boys arms were more sore from holding the rods trolling than from casting.Think that I have a couple of good photos of Plasticman trolling whilst lieing down on the fore deck.

I can hardly use my left arm because of sore shoulder from winding in big fish and steering boat for 6 to 8 hours a day.:laugh:

Cheers

Ray

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the final score was something like 17 fish with 4 or 5 dropped at the boat or during aerials

Brian D 5 (124,106,96,96,85,dropped 1)

Ray 4 (not sure)

Feral 2 (115, 98?, dropped 3)

Jason 2 (112,99.999)

Ferg 1 (not sure)

Stu 1 (118)

Graham 1 (101)

Tom 1 (98?)

Plasoman = Zero (ouch)

Tom's mate Zero and a trebbled thumb (ouch ouch)

[img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Randoms1746_AFO.jpg

Now fellow fisher people, as someone has allready reported we have booked the house for next year. We can fit the ocasional extra people for a couple of days but as a more better option there are still cabins available if you want to get another AFO group together. In addition there is a great camping ground if you prefer.

Don't leave the cabins too long as they book out very early.

We are there from 20/11/09 to 30/11/09 and when I say we I mean

Ray

Brian D

Feral

Ferg

Faulked

Graham

I think only Ray and I wil;l be staying the entire 10 days so jump in if you want to take over spots from anyone. And like I say there is room for extras for the odd couple of days.

Here's next years house [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Randoms1818_AFO.jpg

It is all a bit blurred now. I should have kept a diary.

highlights of the trip were seeing everyone except Plasticman catching a fish.

I cannot remember having such a successful trip. The weather gods were kind to us with one day just a bit windy and it rained one night.

I have a video of Stu catching his fish but have no idea how to download it to the site.

Any help would be appreciated.

If Brian ever wants to retire from his present position he is an excellent chef and Faulked could be his assistant.

P1010431AFO.jpg

Couple of little incidents were me resting my newly replaced nitro rod against the airconditioner in the lounge room and the conditioner gobbleing up 2inches of the tip of the rod. Burrge another warranty claim.

One arvo when going out I gunned the motor and Brians vintage hat blew off and sunk before I could turn to retrieve it.He reckons his wife says the best thing about the whole trip as she hated it.

Here are some fish photos. After all that is why we went there.

P1010376AFO-2.jpg

All good things comes in twos.

P1010388AFO-1.jpg

The gunzas does it again.

P1010386AFO-1.jpg

P1010386AFO-1.jpg

P1010389AFO-1.jpg

P1010385AFO-1.jpg

Feral not too happy after dropping his second fish.

P1010395AFO-1.jpg

Brian and Jayson trying to troll up a couple more.

P1010396AFO-1.jpg

Feral finally had something to smile about.

P1010397AFO-1.jpg

P1010399AFO-1.jpg

Plenty down deep in the bait schools but were not hungry. All our fish were caught on lures that dived between 4 and 12 feet.

P1010400AFO-1.jpg

P1010398AFO-1.jpg

Jayson poised to strike.

P1010406AFO-1.jpg

If he is going to persist in catching horses I think he should go to the gym so that he is fit eenough tohold them.:laugh:

P1010408AFO-1.jpg

Look who else is buggered.

P1010410AFO-1.jpg

After catching this little one.

P1010411AFO-1.jpg

P1010416AFO-1.jpg

Struggling with the scales

P1010418AFO-1.jpg

Big grunt and try again.

P1010419AFO-1.jpg

P1010420AFO-1.jpg

Graham about to drop one ( a fish )

P1010447AFO-1.jpg

Stu posing. ( Didnt anyone tell Andrew that you never catch when wearing banana coloured shorts)

P1010458AFO.jpg

Graham with something to smile about. Caught it on last morning.

V

P1010474AFO.jpg

es Feral they do have trout in Monduran .

P1010478AFO.jpg

it def was a grate trip my barra went 96 cm and suprised me how good eating it was as we ended up keeping it after it would not swim away. my mates thunb is ok it only took a hour to get it taken out at the hoptial i tell you know he is still coping it for making us leave i dont think he will stick his hand in a barras mouth agen as this has happend to him both times he has gorn barra fishing thanks brian for getting the hook off the lure i was to pumped to do it for him and ray for posting photo thats the only photo i have seen yet

The basin fires up hey! Sounds like a good bite.

Gents, these are barra, not mackeral, they dont have big sharp pointy teeth, so useing the gripers and stretching the fish like I see in some of the pics is a sure fire reason why they either a/ wont swim off, or worse, b/ swim off to die.

Because it is currently closed season, and take and in posession limit is one fish per person at any one time, I assume a reasonable proportion of these fish were released (correct me if Im wrong, maybe a lot these fish were kept and eaten during the trip in order to comply with the bag limits. If that is the case, disregard the following). The intent to release fish is admirable, how ever, the object of releasing a fish is to maximize the fish's chance of survival, that means minimum time out of the water, laying the fish on a wet surface or measure mat, properly supporting the body if you do want to take a picture, and no stretching of the neck or gill area. These fish are generally over weight for their length, they live in a weightless envionment where their body mass is fully supported by the water around them, and will not survive poor handeling.

I dont want to rain on any ones parade, but if I dont say the above, so many "once a year" barra fisho's that rely on forums like this for the "how to" type of infomation get the wrong info on good c&r technique.

None of us want to go to an impoundment and see dead fish floating due to poor handling technique.

Fish were eaten to comply with the one fish in posession rule.

Fish that were released from my Brians and Ferals boats were only lifted into the boat in the landing net for a quick measure and release and were not lifted vertically with boga grips.

If you read through the thread you will see where I was tongue in cheek bemoaning that we were bagged out and couldnt keep any more fish.

I didnt keep a record of numbers but Ferg, Feral and Jayson responsibly released all fish they caught Brian released a few, and we ate 3 and probably only brought back fillets back from 4.We also made a few grey nomad campers who were not fishers happy by giving away a fillet or 2 at the cleaning table.

Next year I will ensure that everyone is educated in the correct way to handle these large fish.

I have seen a couple of articles how people suggest how to keep the fish in the water and float a brag mat next to it for a photo but in my experience it is next to impossible as you have to play the fish out so much to keep it still that it wont swim away anyhow and if you bring it in green you risk damage to yourself and the fish from it threshing around.

Thanks for your valid points BR65.

Cheers

Ray

Nice effort fellas looks like thr trollers are doing tuff again with plenty in the basin. well done.

Now as a negative IMHO

Totally agree with Brian there are pics there with flexed gills poor handleing, Don't care if you take a feed but if you release fish bugger the bogas right off, after all how many pics can one have of fish, yeah shore take a pic of them boat side for a quick release If you get a real big fish and its a possible PB go for it take a picture but twenty pictures of the same thing is not worth a floating barra a couple days after you have left

im sorry to say that out of every one fishing i put back the least likely to survive i ate my first barra as i allways said i would but by the time i had caught my second barra "2nd to last day" we allready were bagged out and the other boat was landing fish so after far to many photos "it was my second ever real barra" i figured its survival chances were far higher in the water than on the deck under a towel so i hung it over the side just to see how it would kick it responded instantly so i let go it shot of like a rocket so better of swimming than over the bag limit and dead i thought

i hope im not a bad person for trying but hell at least i tried

as for the rest of the fish i saw released most were small and easilly managed at 20kg plus its not so easy

There were a lot more dead fish floating after the 2 day comp held by ABT then after any other time. Maybe someone should teach these people how to handle the fish.

The ones I released were in good condition and were not hyperextended. One was even released without coming out of the water.

Here's a thought, if a fish fights to the death should it be left to float in the dam or should good use be made of it? These stubstainable farmed dam fish do fight to the death especially on light gear.

I was stirred by some guys up for using a souped up black sheep with 50/60lb and getting fish to the boat in under 5 mins. Seeing the experts are out maybe they could shed some light as to the best way to reel in a fish. Is light gear and long fights better then heavy gear and short fights?

Good eating size this one.

Archived