Yak Storage - Brainstorming required!

bootyinblue

Good Peoples,

After moving 2 bikes, a yak, severla bags of topsoil mix just to get my boat out of the garage I was thinking there has to be an easier way.

I need some ideas and inspiration on how I can store my yak up off the floor and out of the way. Its a single garage with gyprock walls all round. I dont really want to have brackets welded up and ofcourse there are no bricks to plug them into.

My best solution so far is to suspend the yak (over the washing maching and dryer which also live in there) with a kind of pulley and rope system. Does anyone have anything similar in action now that they can shed light on.

Basically just want some extra ideas so when I do it, I do it based on sound knowledge instead of stuffing it up.

Over to you.....

I have just dropped my canoe down from a pully system from the roof of my shed ready for a mystery trip on sunday.

I use rope under the bow section of the canoe to support it and a rope attached to the transom to support the rear.

When i put it back up on Monday or Tuesday I will take a photo.

The system is a little complicated as not only do I have to lift it I have to pull it backwards so that I can close the door.

I am going to modify it slightly so that I can also get the yak up there also.

Cheers

Ray

bootyinblue wrote:

noname wrote:
do what shortie does! leave em on the racks of the car

You kidding right.... do you not know where I live :woohoo:

I have to check I have wheels on my car each morning and that its not up on bricks, or have a family living in there :silly: :P:) :side:

Ha Ha, your Garden hose will be up on blocks next:silly:

Leighton wrote:

bootyinblue wrote:
noname wrote:
do what shortie does! leave em on the racks of the car

You kidding right.... do you not know where I live :woohoo:

I have to check I have wheels on my car each morning and that its not up on bricks, or have a family living in there :silly: :P:) :side:

no the garden hose just gets slowly shorter as the locals cut bong hoses off them:lol:

Leighton wrote:

[

nah, but it gets shorter by 6 inches each time he leaves it out:laugh:

And I'm glad when I'm out your neck of the woods its in an armoured car:P

Seriously though, there is a very detailed thread at akff showing about a thousand different ways to hang a yak off the garage roof.

Having a few now I have also been faced with this problem. At the moment my storage offers little security.

I am planning to actually build a little slatted inclosure along the side of my house with racks.

This will allow for storage out of the way, security and a happy wife not tripping over kayaks in the garage :P

Angus

Angus, if you do the outdoor route, make sure you keep 'em outta the sun, depite all the guff about UV inhibitors etc, the Qld sun will kill polymers in no time. This has been mentioned to me in muted tones by two distributors.

We get it so bad here that all the major international paint firms have their outdoor test sites in Qld!!!

Clawhammer wrote:

Angus, if you do the outdoor route, make sure you keep 'em outta the sun, depite all the guff about UV inhibitors etc, the Qld sun will kill polymers in no time. This has been mentioned to me in muted tones by two distributors.

We get it so bad here that all the major international paint firms have their outdoor test sites in Qld!!!

Haha! Cheers mate. They will be in the dark so all good. Im not surprised though. My rooks racks cushioned sections were meant to be ultra durable and 4 months later they are devastated just from expsosure!

Angus

Jeff... you beat me to it with the garden hose getting progressively shorter!

Claw.. Thought about 2 trestle type things to sit the yak on and still have space underneath but I dont have enough free wall space to put it against.

Bigtez... Was going to hang by the handles, but thought it might rock and roll a little bit if not balanced.

Cowfish... Love the relaxing swings your yaks are in, but I have to get a runabout underneath them, so they have to go up onto the ceiling.

Anyways guys, thanks for your ideas. Will have a look at AKFF and then head to Bunnings and see what I can come up with.

Will post a pic when done.

Hey Greg

First question can you drive into the shed to unload/load or do you have to man handle your yak in and out of the shed ?

I have some eazy option idea's that would make it a very one maned slack arsed way

depends on your situation :)

if you like I can come over sometime and have a look at your options

Cheers Gaz

Duh.... well back from Bunnings and about to spring into action with screw eyes, pulleys, rope and all only to remember that this house is steel framed. So the chances of screwing something into the timber studs and ceiling joists is goooonnnneeee!

So hopefully Bunnings will take pity on me and exchange all the crap for some of those pressed metal shelves and I can spread them apart, plonk the yak on the top two and use the other shelves to store more crap on.

Kcameron wrote:

I am having a similar problem and I am considering a system that hangs from the ceiling as well but with a pully that will enable the Yak to be pulled up out of the way....yet to work out the details.

Kc

Lol... at the risk of being labeled a 'reseller' on here :P , I have all the bits you need for a pulley system.

Nah I will take them back and swap them for some shelves.

Well folks, here is the finished product. Yes Bunnings took pity on my sob story and gave me credit on the pulley system and for $40 in total I came out with 2 more pressed metal shelves.

Plenty of storage...

Image006AFO.jpg

But a tight squeeze lengthways and the motor has to be on just the right angle...

Image007AFO.jpg

Job done.... now I just have to move 2 bikes, cause the top soil is already moved, not spread (ellicat) but just moved.

%7Boption%7D I have solved my problem (for the time being anyway) by cutting up an old aluminium folding chair and making two L brackets to screw onto the garage wall. One yak sits flat against the wall in the two brackets and the second on the floor below it. The neoprean arm rests are used as cushioning protection.

Two roofing screws per bracket was used for fixing. There is still plenty of room for two cars and everything is kept neat and tidy.

I would post photos if I could work out how??

Kc

TerryH wrote:

ellicat wrote:
Very tight. Are the shelves bolted to the floor ?

Do you have a "Duck!" sign on the other side of that door ? lol

:laugh: :laugh:

Good call, just noticed that then

more importntly how does he open the wooden door..i think i see the back side of 2 hinges there?

dunney wrote:

TerryH wrote:
ellicat wrote:
Very tight. Are the shelves bolted to the floor ?

Do you have a "Duck!" sign on the other side of that door ? lol

:laugh: :laugh:

Good call, just noticed that then

more importntly how does he open the wooden door..i think i see the back side of 2 hinges there?

Spot the tradie:P

Archived