1st fish on Hardbody, help?

dan25

Hey guys

Over the past few weeks ive been keen on catching my 1st fish on a hardbody lure. Ive got a few and have tryed a few times, but havent had any luck. im looking at buying a few off ebay, and have found quite a few good value packs, that look great. Im targeting most estuary species and maybe even some bass. any links or advice would be great.

I was also thinking of heading down to my little creek again and try and catch a few more carp, has anyone had any success on Lures with them?

Thanks

Dan

My first piece of advice is to buy quality, not quantity. 1 top quality lure will catch alot more than a pack of 10 dodgy ones. I made that mistake a few years ago, bought some good ones, and now only ever buy reputable lures

If you don't want to splash out too much, a Halco RMG Scorpion 35 is a good starting lure. About $9.

Other than that, look through this forum, there is heaps of info

Try Big W, have a look at the Berkley range, under $5 and good lures. Other brand name lures (if they have them, the range is often not great) are usually quite a bit cheaper than tackle shops as well. The ET range is also worth a look, they are rebranded name brands such as kokoda, usually get the G Vibes for under $5

Have a read of this article I did ages back. Good read for Halco's a very good cheap options.

/>http://www.australianfishing.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=116:halco-lures-the-humble-striker&catid=71&Itemid=256

Aside from that the advice in this thread has been really good so far.

I would personally stay away from E bay packs. Just my opinion though.

Angus

Some good advice already given. You have to be careful when buying some cheaper lures. Some just don't swim. I've picked up the occasional cheapie from bargain bins only to have them end up in the rubbish bin.

Anything mentioned before this post will swim well. If a lure swims well by itself on a slow retrieve, half the battle is already won....you then impart your own action to make the lure come alive.

A good lure to start with would be a scorpian. You can get them at Kmart and they usually swim really well straight out of the box... They come in a range of sizes to target different species. My bass tackle box is chocked full of lures ranging from cheaper G vibes to expensive little japanese bass lollies. And there will always be a place for scorpians.

Sure the jap lures swim better and look amazing but you honestly don't need them to hook fish.It has a lot to do with how you work the lure. If the fish are shut down , I'll tie on the pricey ones.

The new Atomic Hardz are also a really nice range of lures for estuary work. Good for bream and even little bass and flathead. They look great and swim beautifully. And they don't cost the earth.

When buying lures make sure you consider the following...fish swim in every inch of the water column so to target them effectively you'll need lures that swim in every inch of the water column...top water, shallow divers, deep divers and sinking lures.

Cover all your bases for a better chance at hooking them.

Archived