Awoonga - 2007

Brian D

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the offer Brian, I'll see how I go between now and then!

If Ray goes in Graham's Boat like last time, I could sneak his 135HP, reckon the cannon ball would get along all right with that on the back?

Ray did offer me his old 50, but I chickened out. I reckon me and the Silver Bullet will have a long relationship as long as I dont abuse her! If I abuse her, I reckon I could be swimming real quick!

• 1 month later...

Brian D wrote:

Re:Awoonga - 2007 -

$160 per night for both cabins plus $18 per every other person. So if there are 7 people we pay for 5 x $18 plus $160.

Here's a few other scenarios.

7 People $35.71 per night

6 people $38.67 per night

8 people $33.50 per night

I have asked for another cabin if one becomes available.

Persons Confirmed

Brian D

Feral & Alex (NC as long as he doesn't stick the gaff in me)

Ferg

Ray

Graham

Jamie (Polphonic)

Scott

That’s all that will fit into the cabins but there are still spots at other parks (near by) and in boats.

Here is the contact for Lake Awoonga Caravan and Camping Ground.

(07) 4975 0155 if anyone wants it. They have permanent tents already erected, cabins, camping areas and caravan sites. If anyone wants to borrow a tent, it can be arranged; however the permanent tents are pretty good and cheap.

Don't leave it too long as the place books out early.

PS: they are talking 135cm Barra this year – that’s about 65lb.<br /><br />Post edited by: Brian D, at: 2007/04/05 22:25

Rollcall - Everyone still coming?

Any new takers

• 2 weeks later...

hey brian im pretty keen but i takeit the cabins are full? also what setup do you guys reckomend the waler will be making the trip too will definatley have 1 spot possibly 2 in the boat depending on the misses.

Post edited by: kriso, at: 2007/06/05 18:09

Setup will depend on how you want to fish. 20lb braid and leader on a reasonable rod will probably do, not a lot of snags or timber in Awoonga main area, if your trolling in the main bay you could go lighter, about 5k of dam to play the fish in.

Ferg got his 1m Barra on a little 4-6kg diawa with a baitcaster loaded with 20lb braid, 20lb leader, on a 20 year old lure with standard hooks.

Good idea to read up the Awoonga threads from last year, both pre trip and the reports. Lots of info in there. Its still in the top 10 posts over on the right of the screen (Lake Awoonga)

Is there any spots I could camp? Because I'd love to come - however I still have no idea if I'd be able to make it, and for how long.

If I went I'd be taking my yak. I still want one of those metre long barra in my yak.

Edit:

I would pencil in Monday to Friday for myself. depends on Uni at the time. However I'd prefer to stay in a tent, preferably close to a cabin if possible. That way if I did go or not, it would not impact on anything.

Post edited by: TerryH, at: 2007/06/06 00:20

You will have to check with Brian if the joint we are staying does tents, I dont remember that they do.

However there is camping at the Dam itself, they even have on site tents already erected, Brian stayed in them for a day or two last year.

Post edited by: Feral, at: 2007/06/06 04:58

kriso wrote:

hey brian im pretty keen but i takeit the cabins are full? also what setup do you guys reckomend the waler will be making the trip too will definatley have 1 spot possibly 2 in the boat depending on the misses.<br><br>Post edited by: kriso, at: 2007/06/05 18:09

Hey Kriso - don't worry about the cabins being full, we can sort something out. But if you are bringing the missus you maybe better getting a private cabin somewhere.

The problem with the missus, it is not a fishing friendly trip for the softies due to the weird hours. Like fishing until midnight or getting up at 3am and fishing until 10am then having a few beers and a nanna nap in the middle of the day and doing it all over again.

I would take my wife but she is not \"mad keen\" and when I explained the routine she screwed up her face and said forget it.

Let me know asap as accomodation will need to be sorted. That goes for anyone else too - everyone is welcome, just get in early.

PS Kriso - your boat will be perfect and nice offer about the deckie space - someone will be lucky to grab that spot.

Post edited by: Brian D, at: 2007/06/06 04:59

TerryH wrote:

Is there any spots I could camp? Because I'd love to come - however I still have no idea if I'd be able to make it, and for how long.

If I went I'd be taking my yak. I still want one of those metre long barra in my yak.

Edit:

I would pencil in Monday to Friday for myself. depends on Uni at the time. However I'd prefer to stay in a tent, preferably close to a cabin if possible. That way if I did go or not, it would not impact on anything.<br><br>Post edited by: TerryH, at: 2007/06/06 00:20

Terry (and other Yakers) there are tent sites that are within walking distance from the lake and there are fishing spots near the yak launching area. It is a very big dam so your options will be restricted by paddle power however there are advantages as well. My take on yaks at Awoonga is that it would be worth the effort.

I, for one would be happy to tow your yak to the back country where you would get a real good go at the barra.

For the camping ground try Lake Awoonga caravan park on google or have a look at last years report, it's got some photo's of the sites and permanment tents.

feral I would be keen to go its my birthday the 20th of oct so might treat myself. I wouldnt be able to confirm until late so id be camping. I got a viking tempo yak but my leccy will be fitted in the next week so that would help with the distances needed to be covered. the yak will get about 5.5 knots with the 36lb riptide on the back so thats not too bad.

A tow to the backwater sounds like the go though.

a Metre plus Barra from the yak :evil:

Lee

Feral wrote:

I see the water has reached the end of the concrete ramp. (37%) It will be interesting to see how good a gravel ramp they put in. It was about 45% when we were last year from memory.

Gezz - that will absolutly trash my glass boat - I might end up taking the Cannon Ball. Rain please, rain.

Hey for all you Yakers and campers here is the contact for the nearest camping ground.

It is only a short drive down (1min) to the Yak launching area.

Lake Awoonga Caravan Park

Benaraby QLD 4680

Australia

Ph 0749750155

Mob 0438750155

If anyone needs a tent or / bed just let me know.

okay explained it to the missus so she dont wanna go :) will love a spot in the cab if ya got room!

also 2 seats in boat avail. i will have hopefully built and finished casting deck and under floor fish storage to by then

Post edited by: kriso, at: 2007/06/11 21:37

Yeap Kriso - there is a spot for you in our cabins.

Here’s a revised list and pricing

$160 per night for both cabins plus $18 per every other person. So if there are 7 people we pay for 5 x $18 plus $160.

Here's a few other scenarios.

7 People $35.71 per night

6 people $38.67 per night

8 people $33.50 per night

9 people $30.00 per night

I have asked for another cabin if one becomes available.

Persons Confirmed

Brian D

Feral & Alex (NC as long as he doesn't stick the gaff in me)

Ferg

Ray

Graham

Jamie (Polphonic)

Scott

Kriso

That’s all that will fit into the cabins but there are still spots at other parks (near by) and in boats.

Here is the contact for Lake Awoonga Caravan and Camping Ground (07) 4975 0155 if anyone wants it. They have permanent tents already erected, cabins, camping areas and caravan sites. If anyone wants to borrow a tent, it can be arranged; however the permanent tents are pretty good and cheap. Don't leave it too long as the place books out early.

Post edited by: Brian D, at: 2007/06/11 19:27

Hey can I do a quick check on the boats and who is taking what? This is what I think.

Ray and Graham in Boat A

Brian and Deckie in Boat B

Poly and Scott in Boat C

Kriso and deckie in Boat D

Feral Ferg Alex are you taking the hydro or joining as deckies?

Why I ask is for avalible deckie spots. By my count if that be the case we have 2 or 3 deckie spots.

Also I am considering booking some of the perm tents at the caravan park for others who want to join the trip.

It will be fun - I can't wait. Barra fishing for a week and it will cost under $500.

Yep sure will. Perfect size. If your trolling I'd suggest either good quality rod holders, or some sort of tethers to hold the rods, thats the only difference from your normal setup you will need (I will be using 3mm washing line rope for my trolling rods).

Ray's mates lost a rod or two on their first trip to awoonga, Big Bad barra took lure, rod and rod holders clean out of the boat on the initial hit. (Also why if you see my answer in other thread, I am considering taking my sharking outfit, its a baitrunner reel)

Gezz Feral the bullet will be great to chuck a Barra on the floor - it's just that you have so much room the Barra will look small. :laugh:

Hey Kriso don't worry about lures and trolling spots,we'll show you, or just follow Ray, he will be between to two red markers.

I got a 54lb for my boat and it moves it around but very slow (which is good for Barra).

Archived