Claim on insurer Club Marine

reelchippy

Subject: Outside Mackay Marina, Nth Queensland. Woops!!!!!!!!!!!!

New boat $2,000,000 claim on insurer Club Marine. !! Sea trailing of new boat just outside Mackay Marina , Queensland .....Auto pilot is on at full speed. Decided to back one motor off, full electronic controls, to see how it would handle with just one motor. The skipper realized that there was no reaction so throttled second motor back, still no reaction. At that point they decided to disengage the auto pilot; you guessed it, again, no reaction. They had 1 1/2 minutes to sort things out before hitting the breakwater wall.......... Crash bang!

crashed_boat_05.jpg

crashed_boat_01.jpg

crashed_boat_02.jpg

crashed_boat_03.jpgcrashed_boat_04.jpg

crashed_boat_06.jpg

crashed_boat_09.jpg

crashed_boat_07.jpg

crashed_boat_10.jpg

crashed_boat_08.jpg

crashed_boat_11.jpg

crashed_boat_12.jpg

crashed_boat_13.jpg

Didnt look to be too much overall damage untill they pulled it off the rocks and sank it. Would have to be a write off now I imagine.

I guess on a boat that size you dont have a wanky little red lanyard attached to your wrist which when pulled cuts the engine.... perhaps their next one might?

• 10 months later...

I hope Club Marine has to pay out, they have ripped enough people off with there bs policies.

If anyone has ever bothered to read a club marine pleasure craft policy, they would realise that everything that can possibly go wrong with a boat they dont cover, but dont take my word for it, just read the book.

Beejay :angry:

there salvagers are dojjy as well, im not surprised to see something as basic as this sink into the abyss, when its left up to Club Marine,s salvage experts.

When my mums 45ft steel house boat sank, 6 expert salvagers couldnt refloat it. 3 weeks later myself 40 years old, my step dad 41 years old, and 2 other blokes both 55 plus years floated her in 4 hours and that was after being quoted 10 grand to have the job done by another private salvage crew. Just goes to show, what people can do when they work as a team.

Beejay wrote:

I hope Club Marine has to pay out, they have ripped enough people off with there bs policies.

If anyone has ever bothered to read a club marine pleasure craft policy, they would realise that everything that can possibly go wrong with a boat they dont cover, but dont take my word for it, just read the book.

Beejay :angry:

Yeah your right beejay they cover you for didily squat. Less than a year ago I blew up a suzuki engine when I whent to make aa claim they offerd to pay me out $2000. I pmsl and said what am I going to do with that? the asseser said that was a suficiant amount to repair it so I went and got a second qoute $7000 for a new power head fitted up.

any way they ended up saying "its a pitty its not a newer model or we would be able to do new for old". shesh I though thats a good piece of mind to know that club marine do that so I went and bought a brand new spanka for the boat.when it come time to redo the insurance policy I said to the ladie on the phone"so now that my motor has full insurance if any thing goes wrong with it and ends up damageing the hull in any way its all covered yeah"she replied ahh no its a new motor if any thing happens you take it up with the warranty department of the brand of the motor. so new out boards come with 5yr warranty and club marine says if you have a new motor less than 5yrs its new 4 old but whilst the motor is under waranty they tell ya to go back to the motor company if any thing goes wrong. so there pretty much wiping there hands clean of ever making a new for old pay out.so there ya go save ya money and dont insurure.

If you have a 5 year warrenty with the engine and something goes wrong you take it up with the retailer who in turn takes it to the manufacturer.

However if your engine in stolen, then I am pretty sure the manufacturer is not going to cover your loss, hence this is where your insurance steps in.

And bottom line is no one is forcing you to pay the premium being asked are they?

bootyinblue wrote:

If you have a 5 year warrenty with the engine and something goes wrong you take it up with the retailer who in turn takes it to the manufacturer.

However if your engine in stolen, then I am pretty sure the manufacturer is not going to cover your loss, hence this is where your insurance steps in.

And bottom line is no one is forcing you to pay the premium being asked are they?

All very welltaking it up with the retailler or manufacturer, but if you read the fine print on most if not all outboard manufacturers warranties they only cover damage to the motor caused by manufacturing defects not the incidental damage that can result from a defect in their product.

I like the bit in the fine print that says damage to sails by wind or water is not covered, or wear and tear. It would be less misleading to say we do not cover sails unless someone scampers over the back fence with the whole mast.....hang on, thats not covered either unless the mast was locked in a box that had been forced open :huh:

Beejay wrote:

there salvagers are dojjy as well, im not surprised to see something as basic as this sink into the abyss, when its left up to Club Marine,s salvage experts.

When my mums 45ft steel house boat sank, 6 expert salvagers couldnt refloat it. 3 weeks later myself 40 years old, my step dad 41 years old, and 2 other blokes both 55 plus years floated her in 4 hours and that was after being quoted 10 grand to have the job done by another private salvage crew. Just goes to show, what people can do when they work as a team.

tomca wrote:

I like the bit in the fine print that says damage to sails by wind or water is not covered, or wear and tear. It would be less misleading to say we do not cover sails unless someone scampers over the back fence with the whole mast.....hang on, thats not covered either unless the mast was locked in a box that had been forced open :huh:

Like I said Tom, there policies dont cover anything that can go wrong with a boat....lol

I reckon if half the boat owners actually read there policy schedules, they wouldnt pay premiums to club marine...... :P

bootyinblue wrote:

But if you were insured, would it not have cost you $0 as the insurance company would salvage it, write it off, repair it?

If they find a reason why they shouldnt salvage it then they wont. As was the case with mums houseboat, there was some existing rusting around under the gunnels, so on that finding they said NO salvage the houseboat yourself and if you have a claim after that and you prove it, then you will be reimbursed for the cost of salvage.

We salavaged the houseboat 3 weeks later because we couldnt afford to pay the 10,000 asking price from a salvage team and 4 of us got the job done for a slab of Vic Bitter.

The day the Houseboat sank, mum rang club marine, they met up down at the creek, club marine called there own salvagers who made a piss weak attempt at floating the boat before taking off without even telling us they were leaving.

Apparently the salvager was the husband of the kind club marine lady we spoke to on the bank that day...lmao what a #$^%^ joke.

Talk about keep it in the family.

Bottom line is, mum paid premiums to club marine for about 4 years and naively thought that club marine was looking out for her $65000 houseboat, which is all her and her husband had in this world.

Club Marine refused to pay out because the houseboat needed maintenance, (even though they were doing maintenance at the time).....Club Marine can kiss my azz, all they are is a name, and because they use the word "Marine" in there title everyone thinks its something special, but really its just a subsidiary of Allianz Insurance. If anyone knows of any better boat cover please let me know...cheers Beejay

AZZA wrote:

Mines through a broker that is a boatie and this policy was developed just for members of the Moreton Bay trailer boat club good coverage and reasonable premiums its underwriten by CGU

PS. you don,t need to be a member of this club to get this policy anymore.

thanks for the heads up about CGU, I was begginning to wonder if there were anymore boat insurances out there, after the way Club Marine (Allianz) treated my mother and her husband, I cant wait to throw my pleasure craft policy in the rubbish....cheers Beejay

Archived