SOME VERY BASIC QUESTIONS

Jimstlucia

I'm new to Brisbane and new to the site. Background is inland NSW waters..Barwon and Gwydir rivers. I now live in St Lucia. Is it worth throwing a line in at Kayes Rocks, Toowong or under the Indooroopilly Bridge?

What bait? What am I likely to catch? Someone said Bullsharks!

Also, why are forkytailed catfish despised? Are they inedible? Freshwater eel-tailed catfish are great to eat. Just curious. Thanks, Jim

Brisbane River catties are not your freshwater variety. They have a terrible coat of slime on them that makes skinning and cleaning difficult. I have eaten them from cleaner waters (Wivanhoe), and they alright to eat. However another point is that their rib cage extends so fat down their body that even a 2.5kg specimen gets a small whiting size fillet.

Sharks, Catfish, Bream and possibly salmon would all be possible from Kayes Rocks. I have often thought about fishing there myself when i lived in Toowong. To avoid catching to much vermin and maximise your chances at a Salmon or something else of quality (cod, jew etc), try and use live baits. I prefer mullet, prawns and herring. Fishing the river you will find learning to use a cast net invaluable.

As for indooroopilly bridge, i have heard a few bullies caught here. But mostly catfish. Still good for a bit of fun.

Angus

• 3 months later...

Howdy St Lucia Jim,

I'm new here but I've been fishing along the river at St Lucia for quite some time and 90% of the time you'll get catties. Big fat catties around full moon at that! My biggest was a 44cm. But that was minute compared to another that I ALMOST hooked up. I spent a good 5mins fighting with my el cheapo rod and a 16lbs Kamikaze line (from ebay) and #4 hook with squid as bait.

I thought I had a stingray coz of the force the cattie exerted. I managed to see its head and it was prob twice the size of the one in the picture. Pity the line snapped... :( But hell yeah, they big cats put up a damn good fight!

Anyway, u can pretty much fish anywhere along St Lucia, as long as it ain't private property. I've caught a bream and a mullet before, but mostly you'll just get cats and the odd stingrays. I catch at least 2 cats every time I'm there. It's almost a guarantee!

There's this quiet spot right behind \"Manors\" apartments which is the first exit (left) at the Sir Fred roundabout. Then right at Macquarie St all the way to the end. You will see this small footbridge over where a small river used to be. Follow the \"dead\" river left towards the \"mouth\". Tons of sandflies thou, so smother yourself with aeroguard.

As for Kayes Rocks, I tried it once, and although it wasn't exactly low tide, 5 casts, 5 snags, lost 2 rigs. Heaps of rocks. So go prepared. Mite give it a go come high tide.

I heard of bullsharks being caught at the College boat ramp. The ramp brings u rite into the water, but sandflies keep me away.

I'm dying to have a go under the new bridge that leads to Ipswich though. I'm certain breams will be hanging around any pylons or concrete walls there.

Perhaps we can head there one day! I live at Toowong so I pretty much fish on a weekly basis! Holler if you'd like matey!

Post edited by: viperon1982, at: 2007/05/21 23:27

Post edited by: viperon1982, at: 2007/05/21 23:28

post-1277-144598415619_thumb.jpg

viperon1982 wrote:

There's this quiet spot right behind \"Manors\" apartments which is the first exit (left) at the Sir Fred roundabout. Then right at Macquarie St all the way to the end. You will see this small footbridge over where a small river used to be. Follow the \"dead\" river left towards the \"mouth\". Tons of sandflies thou, so smother yourself with aeroguard.

catch alot of bream there, got 1 55cm+ salmon in the castnet there before, eels, flatties, small cod, loads of catties etc.

lost a 1metre+ salmon yesterday -_-. soo much for fishing in the rain all morning, and someone stole the crabs from me crabpot :angry: .

there's loads of catties in the river mate. if i dont bother to bring the castnet, i'll just bring pillies and cut em up - pretty much just casting out, lying down on the pontoon for abit of a snooze and holding on. heaps of catties- 1 fish per bait :). used to throw em all back, but not anymore ;). crabbait!!! :D :D.

kiara_poltegerist wrote:

viperon1982 wrote:

catch alot of bream there, got 1 55cm+ salmon in the castnet there before, eels, flatties, small cod, loads of catties etc.

lost a 1metre+ salmon yesterday -_-. soo much for fishing in the rain all morning, and someone stole the crabs from me crabpot :angry: .

there's loads of catties in the river mate. if i dont bother to bring the castnet, i'll just bring pillies and cut em up - pretty much just casting out, lying down on the pontoon for abit of a snooze and holding on. heaps of catties- 1 fish per bait :). used to throw em all back, but not anymore ;). crabbait!!! :D :D.

Woah! 1m Salmon and cod at the river? Nice! What rigs do u use mate? Are we allowed to fish at the pontoons? Thought they were all private property?

viperon1982 wrote:

kiara_poltegerist wrote:
viperon1982 wrote:

Woah! 1m Salmon and cod at the river? Nice! What rigs do u use mate? Are we allowed to fish at the pontoons? Thought they were all private property?

Viperon: have a good look through all the Brisbane River reports mate. Cod and Salmon and much much more are common catches in the river.

Angus

look around and choose accordingly mate, and clean up after you're done. I've had some ppl come and check up on me and have a chat, but nothing much else.

I guess if you're tidy and dont leave hooks about for people to impale themselves on you'll be alright. i got 2 hooks in the castnet 2 days ago... luckily i strip the castnet slowly... if not... ugh... some idiot left a bronze size 4 or 6 longshank hook at the manors spot as well!!! :angry:

heaps man. for bream and moses perch, i get 1 everytime i cast the castnet, but cant be bothered to keep em- 25cm or so max, not much meat on such small fish.

been picking up some big fish lately, you can see the pic of the salmon in my report.

rigs? er, depends on the tide. if the tide's running slow, i'll just do a lay-on rig. if it's running slack i'll use a cable-car rig with a livie stuck on the hook. if it's fast, i'll use an extra-long leader.

catties are a constant pain tho - they mess with baits too big for em and leave their gunk all over the leader :(

kiara_poltegerist wrote:

heaps man. for bream and moses perch, i get 1 everytime i cast the castnet, but cant be bothered to keep em- 25cm or so max, not much meat on such small fish.

been picking up some big fish lately, you can see the pic of the salmon in my report.

rigs? er, depends on the tide. if the tide's running slow, i'll just do a lay-on rig. if it's running slack i'll use a cable-car rig with a livie stuck on the hook. if it's fast, i'll use an extra-long leader.

catties are a constant pain tho - they mess with baits too big for em and leave their gunk all over the leader :(

You're getting big fish like Salmon at the Manors spot mate? That's pretty awesome! How often do u go there anyway? I've stopped because the millions of sandfly bites I've sustained there is causing me too much anguish.. haha.

haha, er, almost every day? depends how often i can get away from the missus.

wanna hook up sometime?

sandfly bites? hmm.. tell me about it. I've got probably over 100 on both my hands and legs. just squeeze the bite point between 2 fingernails till the clearish liquid comes out. it wont itch after that, just let it dry off. easy stuff.

Post edited by: kiara_poltegerist, at: 2007/05/25 02:23

kiara_poltegerist wrote:

oh, my question before- are you on the Sg Fishingkaki forum as well?

Heya! Sorry I didn't notice your question. Nah I ain't on the SG forums. I only started hardcore fishing recently.

Sure let's hook up sometime! It'll be awesome to have a pro teach me a thing or two for once! haha.

What times are u there usually? Aren't they any spots that do NOT have sandflies? Cause my bites get infected easily, that's why I try my best not to touch them. :(

Otherwise I'll jus \"bathe\" myself with repellant before I head there. :laugh:

haha, nah, i aint no pro. just try to practise and teach \"pro-style\" lure fishing :P.

er, normally 5am, 4ish in the afternoon, or any time in between.

ps- get ya small hooks (size 10-14) out. whiting are in abundance at the spot now. bits of raw prawn ;) 8metres out around and slightly downriver of the rock patch.

er, spots that do not have any sandflies? em, there are a few places with less sandflies, but i find that they go off when the sun comes out.

Post edited by: kiara_poltegerist, at: 2007/05/26 02:18

Jimstlucia wrote:

I'm new to Brisbane and new to the site. Background is inland NSW waters..Barwon and Gwydir rivers. I now live in St Lucia. Is it worth throwing a line in at Kayes Rocks, Toowong or under the Indooroopilly Bridge?

What bait? What am I likely to catch? Someone said Bullsharks!

Also, why are forkytailed catfish despised? Are they inedible? Freshwater eel-tailed catfish are great to eat. Just curious. Thanks, Jim

Hi Jim and welcome.

I haven't got any hints for you, cause I can't catch a fish at the momment, but I just wanted to say good'a.

Hope you enjoy the site

kiara_poltegerist wrote:

haha, nah, i aint no pro. just try to practise and teach \"pro-style\" lure fishing :P.

ps- get ya small hooks (size 10-14) out. whiting are in abundance at the spot now. bits of raw prawn ;) 8metres out around and slightly downriver of the rock patch.

er, spots that do not have any sandflies? em, there are a few places with less sandflies, but i find that they go off when the sun comes out.<br /><br />Post edited by: kiara_poltegerist, at: 2007/05/26 02:18

5am and 4pm.. hmm.. well I'll try that spot when I'm done with my uni assignments. That's like 1st June.. :( Yes, I'll bring those super mini hooks IF I do have them that is, never knew what those small hooks were good for!

Well if you're there, keep a look-out for an Asian dude with bleached OR red hair (still deciding on the red), coz that'll be me! Wouldn't be hard to miss!

kiara_poltegerist wrote:

er, spots that do not have any sandflies? em, there are a few places with less sandflies, but i find that they go off when the sun comes out.<br /><br />Post edited by: kiara_poltegerist, at: 2007/05/26 02:18

5am and 4pm.. hmm.. well I'll try that spot when I'm done with my uni assignments. That's like 1st June.. :( Yes, I'll bring those super mini hooks IF I do have them that is, never knew what those small hooks were good for!

Well if you're there, keep a look-out for an Asian dude with bleached OR red hair (still deciding on the red), coz that'll be me! Wouldn't be hard to miss!

Archived