Lure Preservation?

Dazzamcgee

Mate when i use lures in Salt i put them in a bowel of fresh water when i get get home and just let them soak. Then i take them out and dry them on a towel.

When fishing in fresh i dont do anything.

Using this method keeps the lures in good nick as long as its takes till i loose them to a snag or a fish anyway :P

Angus

I typically just hose them and then let them dry. I generally don't have any problem with rust. I like to avoid the use of products such as WD40 etc as I reckon fish would detect it hell easy, even on reaction strikes.

It would be like you going to have a big bite out of a T-Bone, and then realising that the meat was from a Pike Eel (yes I know bleedin big one:P) You're nose would stop the fork getting anywhere near your mouth!

ps I can't stand the reek from pike eel:blink:

werewolf wrote:

I typically just hose them and then let them dry. I generally don't have any problem with rust. I like to avoid the use of products such as WD40 etc as I reckon fish would detect it hell easy, even on reaction strikes.

It would be like you going to have a big bite out of a T-Bone, and then realising that the meat was from a Pike Eel (yes I know bleedin big one:P) You're nose would stop the fork getting anywhere near your mouth!

ps I can't stand the reek from pike eel:blink:

True but.... what if you look at a tbone eat it then realise it was tungsten wood or fibreglass you wouldnt hit it again I pull my reel apart and give it a thourough coating of inox the so called rolls royce of mechanic in a can and let it sit for a few days before i get round to putting it back together again

I do the same as Angus, but I have a few of those silicon sachels in my tackle box. It gets rid of some of the moisture in the box.

Ta

P.s gerty it does work, but you have to do it perfectly or else you can screw up your lure, I tried it and on one lure it worked like a charm, the other it cracked it. I don't have a clue why.

Post edited by: TIMBO, at: 2007/02/14 16:31

Oztrav wrote:

my lures i spray with inox maybe thats why im not very successful fishermen?

Oz you shock me are you serious. :sick: Man don't do this - what ever you do - just don't spray stuff on them.

What I do is:

In the salt water boat, when finished or changing lures I never never never put them back in the lure tray. I just throw them in a bucket or on the dash. To the untrained deckie it looks like I don't care for them but when I get home I either put them in the shower with me or soak them like Angus. Then if I had a good session I sharpen each point of the trebble and change any that are not perfect, (including split rings).I never restraighten a hook unless im in the middle of a sesson that I can't bring myself to stop.

Fresh water I generally do the same but don't bother to wash them.

Here are some of the spares I use. Note the top centre section-these are used, washed and re-sharpened ready to go.

[img size=485]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/77-5ad019a422389ce58db1c450f9dd2166.JPG

Post edited by: Brian D, at: 2007/02/14 18:07

post-118-144598407165_thumb.jpg

A couple of years ago at the boat show i brought some hook keepers that basically are two pieced of plastic tube joined by elastic. They have zinc inserts to prevent rusting caused by electrolis and are really good no tangles also.

I did get some extras at tackle world but they are no longer available.

Any how I only look at mine cant cast well enough to use them.

Ray

Oztrav wrote:

hmmm i feel silly now but why not use these you wouldnt think that this sort of stuff puts fish of the bite. Being that boat ramps are sometimes the best place to catch a fish and these are often swamped with 2 stroke

Don't feel silly Oz - to me that is one of the best threads for ages (Karma to you). But I do love my takle. :woohoo:

You may find that around boat ramps are jetties, which is structure, which is good for bait and prawns, which is good for bigger fish.

Last time at awoonga I was told by a pro that if a boat comes near you (50mtres) forget fishing for at least half an hour. I know the inpoundments are more fickle due to not having tidal or flow but still I would guess thath the stelf facor would improve things.

Archived