castnet

Oztrav

Fishing on the Pine River on Sunday slinging a 10-footer, 3 casts and more livies than we could use all day:woohoo: !! Gotta love those things - what a great piece of fishing gear (and in the right spot, you can claim to have caught bucket-loads of fish!:evil: ). Seriously though, 10 foot is a good productive size from a boat, although my mates brother throws a 20-footer from the back of his tinny. I'm just waiting for the day he snares a giant Noah and gets towed half-way to China!:whistle:

Post edited by: Cliffy, at: 2007/02/20 21:04

blue_mako wrote:

I would get an 8 footer or bigger. I honestly can say there is no point to a 6 or 7 foot castnet, well maybe to get some cheap leads! :P .

Troy

Had a perfect example of what a 6 foot net is good for at Lenthalls. (And not so good) Used it to cast all the areas before using the big nets to check for snags! unfortunately there was a beauty of a snag just beyond the reach of the 6 footer, that was not beyond the reach of Ray's 14 foot draw string net. Ouch that came back in pieces/

Not bad quality chinese made 10ft draw string net at tackleworld at tingalpa for $89 much better quality than jarvis walker ones. I am thinking seriously of getting one to replace the one I ripped at Burrum river last week.

There are a couple of reasons why I like the draw string nets.

They are very easy to empty, all you have to do is release the strings and raise the net and everything falls out.

They are also usefull for fishing over snaggy areas where the bait fish are holding above the snags as you can start to retrieve the net before it hits the bottom,this closes the net and catches the baitfish before the net hits the snags.

The only downside is that i have not seen them over 12 ft and they arte pretty rare in brisbane as most stores only go up to 10 ft.

Ray

Get the biggest meanest kick arse net you can,:woohoo: then learn how to use it:pinch:

Good point in case at the caravan park we stayed at at lenthalls. There was a picture on the wall of a young guy who landed a 90cm Barra off the jetty with his cast net. Now that's a good catch.;)

• 2 weeks later...

Since we're sorta on the topic here, was wondering what everyones preference was : Nylon or thread(?)?

I now have a 9ft nylon and a 12ft drawstring thread. And I tend to lean towards the thread as I think its a bit stronger when i comes to little snags that you may catch at the bottom. Only problem is they get a bit heavy after a couple of casts and seem to sink a bit slower.

any one else have preference?

btw bought the 12ft drawstring at the \"fishing and rug store\" in Bundaberg for $70...bargain.:)

I'm also in the market for a new net, Stuffed mine at kookaburra park. One of 3 nets that I know of that have been stuff there. Defenently go for the biggest you can afford. If you get a small one to start, you find after a week or two that you should have gotten a bigger one. They easy to learn.

u guys are wosses, ive only ever torn one of my nets cause i always swim for them, ahha troy knows, bak in the day when he was the only one with a net, one in 10 casts was a snag and guesse who had to swim 7 feet down in the brisbane river and squeeze the presure out of his ears just to unhook it! no joke it was deep there

haha in 2002, my olds took me to the whitsundays and we had to stop at aerlie beach before hand to get there. i caught 8 very large sea mullet on jigs with bread on it and sold em 2 a drawstring net dealer i ran into on the beach for a 10 footer, i still have it, but find that when i get something violently big in the net, i always loose it, where as the 12 foot bottom pocket always produces. maybe my technique was incorrect?

Jordan wrote:

u guys are wosses, ive only ever torn one of my nets cause i always swim for them, ahha troy knows, bak in the day when he was the only one with a net, one in 10 casts was a snag and guesse who had to swim 7 feet down in the brisbane river and squeeze the presure out of his ears just to unhook it! no joke it was deep there

Take that back! your net is worth 70$? I go swimming for 17$ lures all the time at 9 Pm in the dark cold river! troy is also my witness.

lol u dont dive down 7 feet tho do u! admitadly tho once i went fishin with angus at kangaroo point at night and i was to scared to swim 2 feet out to get mine because he convinced me there were man eating hippopotomus or something rediculous like that in the river lol. im to afraid to swim at night!

Jordon - man you guys are crazy:woohoo: .....shotgun not swimming in the dark in the Brissy river. Do you guys go swimming while your shark baits are out as well?:blink:

Jeff - yeah that is the problem with those cotton/thread nets. Soo much water comes up with the net.

tls & oz - i reckon 8ft is a bit small. As previously said, after a couple of weeks when you master the throw you'll get bored of the 8 and you'll end up with castnet-size envy. :laugh:

Jordan wrote:

lol u dont dive down 7 feet tho do u! admitadly tho once i went fishin with angus at kangaroo point at night and i was to scared to swim 2 feet out to get mine because he convinced me there were man eating hippopotomus or something rediculous like that in the river lol. im to afraid to swim at night!

Yeh twas probaly more than 7 foot, I went down as far as I could and couldn't touch.

Nylon is by far better I rekon. Easier to cast and no water. Well for me anyway.

jeff f wrote:

Do$tylz wrote:

tls & oz - i reckon 8ft is a bit small. As previously said, after a couple of weeks when you master the throw you'll get bored of the 8 and you'll end up with castnet-size envy. :laugh:

is that my problem i only got a 6 footer :blush:

Archived