Is this a Jack to you??

Go0LiE

Hi all, im very new to this forum and ive been a fisher for awhile (10 years at most) but never in my life have i every caught something so big and cool in my life. Im not sure if this is a mangrove jack or not because ive caught one before and it was more red in color then this one. Tell me that im wrong if i am. as far as i can see, it is a mangrove jack in my books.

Anyway, caught this bugger at Fisherman Island, after the bridge on the island side, took a walk down and sat right next to a line of big rocks. too bad there was no one there to witness my catch. It was about 2 weeks ago. Using live mullet as bait freshly caught using castnet.

Love the site n hope to be posting more pictures of my catches from now onwards. I'm going to MT CROSBY, tonite so hope to get some decent breams, flathead, perches, BullSharks and everything else out there. Also, hope not to catch any catfish or eels so hope everyone wish me luck and will definetly post if anything is caught. Thanks and happy fishing :)

[img size=321]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Mangrove_Jack.jpg

Post edited by: webmaster, at: 2007/02/22 22:12

post-946-144598407722_thumb.jpg

weird angle, but certainly looks like a ' Jack to me. Great catch, I fished there a few times when I was a lad, never got anything, tide flow stuffed me up.

Welcome to the site, glad you like it!

Hope you do well tonight, there have been some good reports from the upper reaches of the river of late.

Cool fast reply,

i got another picture if this one helps. im going to mt crosby, pretty much more down stream where the park is. going in less then one hour. cant wait. hehehehe.

wont be back til after 12am so will post on my progress then.

happy fishing everyone. :laugh:

maybe this one is better. its the only one apart from the one is the 1st post.

**EDIT**

image size too large, had 2 edit and repost. :evil:

[img size=450]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Jack_at_Fisherman_Island__Small_.jpg

Post edited by: Go0LiE, at: 2007/02/22 17:47

Post edited by: webmaster, at: 2007/02/22 22:11

post-946-144598407726_thumb.jpg

damn, didnt want to post that picture on because was fishing afew days straight and the sun gave me a tan line. how embarrassing :blush:

anyway, all is good, its the fish that matters right? this is my best catch of rare fish that ive caught on land.

another great fish ive caught there has been a male BREAM, caught using live herring. it weighed 1.9KGS. Nearly 50cm in size. Too bad i didnt bring a camera with me back then. I dont think a digital camera was highly available back then anyway. Didnt believe it at 1st but it was a yellow tail bream for sure. thought it was a snapper but unlikely to be caught off land and wasn't really red in colour. :blink:

hey mate nice jack! that beast could have easily eaten the biggest jack that I have caught!:whistle:

As far as your tan lines go mate I could only recommend covering up better in the Australian sun. We are rather unlucky in that the ozone layer above us is rather stuffed and as a result we get absolutely blasted with UV rays:pinch: When I'm out fishing during the day I always wear long sleeves, a widebrimmed hat and sunscreen:)

Sorry about highjacking (excuse the pun) your post with a sun sob story, but I've seen my old man get too man skin cancers cut out from too much exposure:S

Once again nice jack and I'll look forward to reading your report on your river fish tonight. Hopefully you'll get stuck into some bullies, just make sure you use wire!!!!!B)

Mate welcome to the site!

Thats a very nice Mangrove Jack.

The varying species popping up in reports this summer have been brilliant.

Mate the weir where it says No Fishing is actually the Mount Crosby Weir.

Colleges corssing is the park with the boat ramp and Bull Shark warning signs a bit further down street.

I think the lack of yabbies can be attributed to the lack of rain and the salt water moving up the river. Last time i tried for yabbies no luck either.

Try the Karana Downs boat ramp at Kookooburra Park. Plenty of good reports from there lately.

Good luck!!!

Angus

• 4 weeks later...

Archived