?plastic or hard body?

Joel Eadie

wow... where to start with this...

I'll bullet point to keep it short.

Plastics

- cheap loss if snagged

- can get the depth and can fish full water column (you can do now with blades)

- Massive range of colour, style and size, different use of jigheads for different action

Squidgies

- yeah they have done well for me. 3" paddletail ones and 2" curly tail

- bream, flathead, whiting, gar fish.....

- if you can get the ones with s-factor apparently they do well

recommmendations

- a good mix of both.

- some days hardbodies do well, others plastics.

- i've recently converted to plastics coz I'm sick of losing $5-$20 each snag

hmm, i think some one is selling some soft plastics that may suit you... who was the handsome devil.... :D

plastics offer a huuuuuuuuuge variety of ways to fish, change your jighead weights for depth, hook size for different mouth sizes, different action tails, you can work them much slower than hardbodies, much faster than hardbodies, have a more natural feel when a fish bites, internal scents, can add rattles, can do "plastic surgery" and repair or splice together or remove bits to increase/reduce/change action or look... the list goes on!

I am more of a sp man my self as they are much cheaper then hard bodies.Ffor 5 -10 bucks gets u bout 5 -8 soft pstics so you can aford to get a SNAG or 3 . The only thing i like about hard bodies is that when the fish has a go at them you do not loose the tails which happends alot to me when fishing at bribie or really anywhere for that matter. But as others have said get a good collection of both and see what works well for you.

cheers ssean

I use both and research a little on this forum so I don't get stooged at the tackle shop, as you know this stuff ain't cheap these days and 2 rolls of leader and 2 packets of plastics can easily top 60$, add 2 packets of jiggs and you spent the best part of $100.00.

and you han't even bought a HB lure yet :cheer:

So buy with care, the one thing I have noticed and have also read similar reports is that the hit on a HB is far more aggressive than the hit on a SP, but horses for courses,

onces your on, your on and the fun starts.

Go both, with care

Cheers

Small hardbodies work great and cost effective, there easier to feel working than a soft plastic, one of the best soft plastics on the market is a tranzam, what sets it apart from other plastics is the swimming action and the 2 sets of trebles, the only drawback is price, you can buy the locally made robzam for around half, while they catch plenty of flathead they excel in the deeper water for threadfin salmon cod snapper and the like. squidgies dont have a very good hookup rate ive done better on gulps.

Feral one of the orig robzams has caught 4 threadies over a meter and several other species and is still in working duty, not to say they all would last that well, there made from the highest quality rubbers available thou, to get the soft action in any soft plastic they are always going to be prone to damage, some more than others but if they get a quality fish 2 bucks isnt a lot these days.

hrmm, mine work out at about 50c a jighead and 1$ ish a plastic. considering that one last me all day at flathead social i was pretty happy. no dramatic loss of hits or anything either. made it through half dozen pike, 3 flathead and a sole, many other hits as well.

i use berkley jigheads found at big w and havent had any problems with them, 10 in a pack for 4.50. one half straightened when i caught that jew but it was a decent size fish that i wasnt targetting.

brisbane_boy wrote:

Feral one of the orig robzams has caught 4 threadies over a meter and several other species and is still in working duty, not to say they all would last that well, there made from the highest quality rubbers available thou, to get the soft action in any soft plastic they are always going to be prone to damage, some more than others but if they get a quality fish 2 bucks isnt a lot these days.

yes but us hardened bris river fishos are not interested in...threadies.

cheers

fishing_hardcore wrote:

brisbane_boy wrote:

yes but us hardened bris river fishos are not interested in...threadies.

cheers

you will be pleased to know there also a hot item for the wharf snapper and cod

:P

Archived