new to crabbing

brissy fish

I know a couple of people that swear by the chicken frames. Mullet should work though.

Where are you trying?

I have been told on good authority that muddies go through vege or at least omnivour stages (like most crustacreans I guess) and it can sometimes pay to put a rotten mango or some rotting mangrove leaves in with the meat. Give them a well rounded choice :)

Angus

if you have a boat around green island is good for sandies or go a little futher to the rainbow channel,

the brisbane river supplies good amount of mudcrab, newstead reach, breekky creek along to brett's wharf produces the goods,

You should do alright with mullet, I use mullet frames and guts instead of the fillets though.

If you are after mud crabs, you need to find smaller creeks where there is an undercut bank, so there is fairly deep water close to the bank. Sand crabs are more likely to be found in deeper channels close to Moreton Bay or in the bay itself - cleaner water and sand rather than muddy bottom, as their names imply.

I crab from a small tinny, so I can't really recommend any particular spots. It's a good time for both types of crab, but I find I have most success with the muddies a few days after heavy rain has flushed them out of their normal haunts. I prefer a rising tide for both, sand crabs at dawn and muddies in the evening.

I like to use chicken wings for bait - fairly cheap, readily available, tough and they work for me. Slice them a few times immediately before use to release the smell into the water.

Best of luck,

Mike

lethalsaints wrote:

guessing thats a no to fruit or veg with fish, i have never personally done this but other people swear by it, this is for mud crabs btw.. I personally use fish frames or mullet usually....

Mate its all about giving it a crack, go the mangoes if you want, im just too lazy to be botherd putting 2 diffrent baits in :laugh:

i have always been a believer in local baits, by that i mean what ever lives around a particular spot, in the muddy creeks, i swear if you take a rod to say aquarium passage, catch some catfish, stoke ya pots with them, drop ya pots where no mongrel can see em, and check em the next day. failing that the ol mullet whole with a slice in him will do the trick too. good luck ;)

robbo

but if you can seriously think about the trip to somerset dam soon, a few chaps up there to help get you sorted out.

Archived