luderick on a sotf plastic

Plastic Man

[img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Picture_3561.jpg on a one trip to the brisbane river with my brother we were way down the mouth after bream getting a few here and there 3 or 4 off the pipe line then about the same off the sunken rock wall we thought we would try down river more so stoping at a fishy looking rock wall we started to flick our plastics in at the wall i was using berkley powerbait 3 in the smelt colour so i let the plastic hit the bottom then started to crank it back in slowly after a few little hits that i thought were just baby bream i was on the fish was big i new that but did not figth well once the fish came to the top i couldnt belive it was a luderick 49cm im just want to know if this happens often.tight lines

Post edited by: Plastic Man, at: 2007/03/17 16:53

post-1029-144598408869_thumb.jpg

nice fish....ive caught a few over the years on 2in curly tail grubs in lime green colour with silver fleck..also bagged a few silver drummer aswell...

I have seen, sometimes drummer/black fish school with bream and also take on some of there feeding habits...

well thats what i have seen when spearfishin...bream/blackfish/small silver drummer all doin the same thing in the same school....

yea i agree with dazz, in ballinor i noticed some of the luderick schooling with the bream and copying there feeding habits, happily taking bread and occasionally prawns i threw down, caught 2 on bread, and a local told me if u see them schooling with the bream, they will most likeley copy the bream.

Once i get my camera ill post the report, but on Saturday i got a smallish luderick on a 3 inch powerbait at Brunswick heads. Before the rick i had caught 3 bream on the same plastic. Hence all the assumptions make sense.

There were heaps of other ricks there as well all hanging out with the bream.

Angus

never caught one myself but over the years have heard of a fair few caught on lures or baits such as yabbies.

They have reputation for being omnivorous at times and why and when I have no ideaB)

that is certainly a stonker fish though mate, you would be hard pressed to ever beat that with a lure at least:P

Cowfish13 wrote:

We once caught one in the Pimpima River on a prawn. Tasted pretty good but some people think that they taste a bit weedy.

What exactly would a \"weedy\" fish taste like:blink:? What does weed taste like lol:huh:? Not aimed at you cowfish mate:) but you have offered a complaint often labelled against luderick but I wonder if it comes from their reputation as weed eaters or whether there actually is a taint in the flavour???

Curious that everyone (including you) has so far commented how good they taste. Can anyone genuinely knock their eating qualities or is it heresay?

I wouldn't eat one from the Brisbane River though. Jordan used one for shark bait awhile back and we gave it to some guys as it didn't get eaten. When he gutted it I couldn't see anything that looked like nice green weed which they eat in the cleaner waters. It looked more like chunky dark browny black mud. Have a closer look at their mouths, they don't exactly look yummy :sick: .

Troy

Archived