Monduran Fish Photos And Report.November 2009

rayke1938

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last year when he had frogs on sopecial I paid for them and arranged to pick them up on the way. That way good price and no postage.

Just had a brilliant idea. There is a heap of good info and tips here. A certain person is on 6 weeks holidays with nothing to do except swan around straddy. Reckon he could tidy it up and submit a good story for Bush ANd Beach. ( Hullllooo Angus ) :blush:

Cheers

Ray

Brian D wrote:

Br65 there's a few questions in that.

Yes they were different leaders but over the 10 days both styles came out even, so it's not the leader that made the difference. One was a clip and one was a ring but the clip was attached to a ring. One was red and one was clear but plenty of fish were caught on red.

We did upgrade the hooks to a larger size but that was after we ran out of the smaller size. This did improve the staying connected rather then the hook up a bit. We dropped plenty of fish on both hook sizes, especially when the fish went aerial.

The biggest thing was the position of the boat. On the north side of the zone (which was only a boat width) the lure would weed up every pass. The strike zone was so small.

I out foxed the fox on the last day by having a stand by rod in the rod holder ready for deployment as soon as we got to the zone if I was either out of position, in the right position or weeded up. I would move the rod I was holding to either shot gun down the middle or hold it out wide depending on the position. It worked a treat, as in the half sesh we got in that day I scored 3 to 1 (on the red leader split ring set up).

Good example was the double hook up we scored. We passed tight to the zone, heading west, so I hit the spool release on the rod in the holder as we straightened out of the turn. The lure sat about 2 boat lengths behind the zone. I locked the spool as the boat pasted the zone and the lure dived. It got hit within about 5 secs; I grabbed it out of the holder with one hand and placed the shot gun in the other holder with the other hand simultaneously.

As I set the hooks a fish launched out of the water and I knew instantly it was a double as the fish was heading the opposite direction to the one I was fighting. I called double hook up to the boat behind us hoping they would do the right thing by getting out of the way, and they did. I remember screaming “my fish is under your boatâ€. Credit to them, they broke the snag they were one and cut the line. The look on their face was priceless. That was one of the most memorable moments of my fishing life.

Ray did a great job in dealing with his 110cm fish that was heading north east when I was trying to scull drag the 110cm barra on my line which was heading west. I thumbed the spool, locked the drag and gave it every bit I could to get it to the boat ASAP so I could get back to deckie duties and help Ray. I remember licking my thumb half way through the fight to stop it burning.

Once the fish was at the boat, I grabbed it with the grippers and ripped the hooks from its head; it took about 10 secs, then raced over to Ray’s side, who had his fish in a wide holding pattern. This was good time for me to gather breath and reflect on what had just transpired. Ray calmly worked his fish to the boat like an experienced pro who does this sort of thing all the time.

I will never forget those minutes, Ray was an absolute champion, the onlookers were bemused and I was buggered. After that Ray set the boat for another pass, I changed the hooks on both lures and deployed the lines, than we cracked another beer in silence processing the amazing once in a life time event.

Funny thing is that if we had moved another boat length forward we both would have weeded up and the pass would have been wasted. So no mate it was all about placement and timing.

Cheers. Good work on picking the troll run in a tight zone.

Brian D wrote:

yellahunter wrote:
Absolutely Awesome stuff fellas,

what a trip woulda been one to remember.

does Mondy cop a flogging these days, i mean more and more people are heading up there i assume, did you guys see many boats out each day...?

im looking to head up in Jan or Feb,

is it ok fishin at that time? and is there any advice i need before planning the trip.

ie: moons, camping areas - booking, gear etc

cheers

Ben

Ben everywhere gets a floggin these day but this is a big dam witrh heaps of room. It takes about 45mins to get from one end to the other, that's if you know the way. Do not even try going to the back country with out a GPS.

I suspect that Feb will see the fish in the back country but I haven't fished it at that time. I base my comment on the spawing run in Oct-Dec, then fish returning to warmer water of the forests.

A current theory is that as they have been letting out water for irrigation for the last 9 weeks, this has caused a current. I don't realy agree with this, I think the fish we found were simply feeding on bait fish gathered around islands and flats. If the bait fish were drawn from the timbers to the flats because of the outgoing water will be hard to prove.

When we were there there were a couple of islands that got flogged real hard yet they still produced fish after 10 days. Sometimes there were 12 boats around the island in the basin. The Bird Bay island was much better and even worse at times but held it's form.

THere were 12 boats following Ray and I around one day.

no worries mate,

il give it a shot anyways,

il yell out closer to the date to see if anyones up there,

• 10 months later...

Bump just to wet your appertite for the reports to come.

Quote from Brian D says it all.

I suppose I better mention our routine and procedures so the readers don't think it's a holiday.

3.30am rise from slumber, coffee toast and crap

4.00am launch boat

4.15am arive at hot spot or target spot.

4.15.1 deploy lures

6.00am bar in boat open for beer and wurst.(or when first fish is caught).

11.00am return to ramp, unpack boat, drink beer

11.30am eat lunch, drink beer

11.35am sleep, dream of fish and beer

3.30pm wake, feed, beer, pack boat and esky

3.45pm go fishing, drink beer, eat chips

3.46pm -till dark or after catch fish.

7.30pm dinner, beer, work on leaders, lures, lines etc

8.30pm bed

3.30am rise from slumber, coffee toast and crap

4.00am launch boat

4.15am arive at hot spot or target spot.

4.15.1 deploy lures

6.00am bar in boat open for beer and wurst.(or when first fish is caught).

11.00am return to ramp, unpack boat, drink beer

11.30am eat lunch, drink beer

11.35am sleep, dream of fish and beer

3.30pm wake, feed, beer, pack boat and esky

3.45pm go fishing, drink beer, eat chips

3.46pm -till dark or after catch fish.

7.30pm dinner, beer, work on leaders, lures, lines etc

8.30pm bed

THrow in the ocasional trip to town for supplies, lures and fuel

along with the quick trip to kiosk for ice creams.

Now do that for ten days and see how good you are?

Very similar to my routine a few days ago Ray, got to love the arvo naps they are a must for the afternoon sessions!

Plenty of bugs especially come dinner time (was in Cabin 1). Cabin 2 somehow had yellow lights which seemed to have kept the bugs away. I found those mosquito coils worked a treat, just lit one up in the boat and had it burning away all day.

Max water temp i saw was around 27.8ºC around the main basin but definitely heating up, however it rained hard on the Thursday we left. Heard of a few reports of fish up from Jacks and further north of the lake. We dropped one in Bird Bay on a gold/black Super Barra and fish were holding around 4-5m. Plenty of big boofs, they are definitely starting to bite so I think your timing is spot on.

Unfortunately a lot of boats being loud and inconsiderate which made stealthing around on the electric difficult. We also encountered those black bugs by the thousands living on the timber, they are NOT FUN.

Looking forward to your reports!!

Archived